Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 23-06-2013
Mad Member

Default b4 rear shock towers, 2 types, same part number ??

i have 3 shock towers new in packet as spares for my b4,

all of the packets have the part number #9572 even though there are 2 different tower styles,

as my batteries are a little bigger i have to grind off 2mm from the standard 2mm gap on the bottom of the shock tower so my battery hold down plate goes under the tower,

one of the towers in the packets has about a 5mm gap at the bottom and doesnt need grinding down, and the upside down triangle shape just below the body

post is filled in on the one with the 5mm gap and not filled in on the ones that i have to grind down,

how come there a 2 different towers with the same part number ,

the tower on the left is the one i dont need to grind down,

the tower on the right is the one i need to grind down and have done already in the pic,

thanks for any info

Old 23-06-2013

One on the left is a b4.1 tower (filled triangle) one on the right is a b4 tower. The b4.1 tower is not as wide at the shock mount location, so if you were in the inside hole on a b4 tower then to be the same you need to be in the middle hole on a b4.1 tower, I think not 100% sure on that!
Old 23-06-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookieewonder View Post
One on the left is a b4.1 tower (filled triangle) one on the right is a b4 tower. The b4.1 tower is not as wide at the shock mount location, so if you were in the inside hole on a b4 tower then to be the same you need to be in the middle hole on a b4.1 tower, I think not 100% sure on that!

excelent, thanks, i know to ask for b4.1 ones now, and yes your right the b4.1 one isnt as wide, weird how they get the same part number though
Old 23-06-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
excelent, thanks, i know to ask for b4.1 ones now, and yes your right the b4.1 one isnt as wide, weird how they get the same part number though
Same as wookie said....

The b4.1 rear tower was designed for the lighter weight Lipos.........but if your wanting to use the older b4 rear tower, cut/file down the outer shock hole and re drill a new inner shock hole, and file the bottom of the tower to fit the lipo underneath

Ex Club Chairman

Visit our Face Book Page for address and to book in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289589121226171/

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/
Old 24-06-2013

In fact, the situation is even worse :-)) there is a third tower type under the same part number.
It is B4.2 tower modified for big bores.
Old 24-06-2013
oOple Advertiser

The B4.2 tower for big bore is just ground back to give clearance for the big bore shock.

See just under the top shock mounts.
Same geometry as the B4.1 tower.

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 25-06-2013
Mad Member

I contacted AE the same time I posted this with the same post and the same pic and they said the towers with the low bottom and hole are old stock and the ones in post above and on left in my pic are new stock,
In fact here's the reply I got from AE.

The picture did not come through but, what happened is called a running change. Since the shock tower is the virtually the same, and we only made very few changes to the shock tower we kept the number the same. The shock tower with the filled in upside triangle is the more current tower.

Thank You, Nick Wautlet nick@aeteam.net Customer Support 26021 Commercentre Dr. Lake Forest, CA 92630 949-544-7500 xt 2115 phone 949-544-7501 fax
Old 25-06-2013

Mike, sorry, can you explain one more time how to tell the difference between 4.1 and 4.2 towers? I have both and I really struggle to distinguish them.