Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team C Racing

Old 20-12-2013
Stu-Perstar

Default Letter

Dont know if you have already seen this - http://www.absima.com/absima_uploads...20Team%20C.pdf
Old 20-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

To me that says that no parts will be in the uk,they will all be in a ware house in europe as a central distribution point, we will just have a couple of reps in an office in the uk. a sadly common arrangement these days

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 20-12-2013
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
To me that says that no parts will be in the uk,they will all be in a ware house in europe as a central distribution point, we will just have a couple of reps in an office in the uk. a sadly common arrangement these days
True but it does work. For an example Kyosho. They have a big following in the UK.
Old 20-12-2013
Mad Member

Hopefully the SMD TeamC drivers will be catered for directly rather than loose their employment?
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 20-12-2013
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

The damage is already done - shame to say the following of the tm2 is narrowing already due to abismas actions. They need to act quick or loose it all together IMHO.

Plus the difference with Kyosho doing it, and Abisma, is that Kyosho is a world known successful company - Abisma was a small company that many UK drivers laughed at - SMD changed that and they thank them by parting ways, short notice, at Christmas - nice.

Last edited by PaulRotheram; 20-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 20-12-2013
Mad Member

I was not saying that the damage had not already been done and they could certainly of handled the whole affair better with a bit more fore thought, with what I have read it looks to have been handled quite calously from their end and are looking at damage limitation now?
All i was getting at was that the drivers mentioned could still possibly gain employment directly with them as it would possibly be hard for SMD to carry on employing them with the loss of the Team C/Absima product?
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 20-12-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Drivers aren't employed, they are sponsored, and as said in the notification, they will be catered for if they wish to carry on.

Anyone who was taken on by SMD to support the brand at SMD premises may lose their jobs unless they get another product line in it's place, which is all part of business. What peoples gripe is about, and I think it is fair though, is that Abisma pulled their product away from SMD with very little notice, so there is very little time to find a replacement product line to distribute, and I would also be surprised if they haven't gone against a contract drawn up between SMD and Abisma, but as Abisma is in Asia, the chances of chasing for compensation will be small.

As a brand, they will of damaged themselves in the process in the UK, but that isn't to say they have killed the product. What will now kill it is if the product support goes, and they just choose anyone to 'promote' their product, will kill the brand.

SMD has managed to turn what was a joke under Ansmann to a serious considered product direct from Team C, which, by the looks of it, will now unravel.
Old 20-12-2013
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Drivers aren't employed, they are sponsored, and as said in the notification, they will be catered for if they wish to carry on.

Anyone who was taken on by SMD to support the brand at SMD premises may lose their jobs unless they get another product line in it's place, which is all part of business. What peoples gripe is about, and I think it is fair though, is that Abisma pulled their product away from SMD with very little notice, so there is very little time to find a replacement product line to distribute, and I would also be surprised if they haven't gone against a contract drawn up between SMD and Abisma, but as Abisma is in Asia, the chances of chasing for compensation will be small.

As a brand, they will of damaged themselves in the process in the UK, but that isn't to say they have killed the product. What will now kill it is if the product support goes, and they just choose anyone to 'promote' their product, will kill the brand.

SMD has managed to turn what was a joke under Ansmann to a serious considered product direct from Team C, which, by the looks of it, will now unravel.
How was it a joke under ansmann? It's the same product. I spent 2 years trying to build a team and after Simon moss and Danny McGee signed that would of changed the thoughts of many people. Ansmann are a huge company and for all the efforts that went into the rc side they decided to put into the larger, more successful side.
Old 20-12-2013
Mad Member

Personally, whilst I really do feel for those who are directly affected by Absima's decision to stop working with SMD, I can't help but be amused by all the ranting posted on this and otter forums.

Do people actually believe that their views will force a u-turn by Absima into working with SMD again?

Do people really believe because they won't keep their TM2's that Absima will panic and rethink their decision?

Is it not just slightly possible that there are two sides to this story?

A number of people having hysterical, knee-jerk reactions and selling their cars because they don't agree with the decision is just plain daft. As long as people like Kev Lee continue to do well with the car, other drivers will buy it. And you can bet your bottom dollar, spares supply through shops like Inside Line will ensure those who keep the car will continue to be able to race it. I would be surprised if there wasn't an initial supply hiccup, similar to that which occurred when Durango became Arma, or whatever it is, but that rectified itself.

Saying that, I laughed when all the forum business experts and purveyors of doom criticised and panicked over that business move too.

All this will be forgotton about in six months, and should the TM4 turn out to be a winner at a reasonable price, I bet people buy that too.
Old 20-12-2013
Administrator

I personally don't see anything to be amused at, at all. In fact, I think it's shit for all involved. We'll see how it pans out.

Last edited by jimmy; 20-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 20-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I personally don't see anything to be amused at, at all. In fact, I think it's shit for all involved. We'll see how it pans out.
I think you may have mis-read or mis - interpreted what I have written.

I find no amusement whatsoever in the situation regarding SMD and Absima. That situation is beyond unfortunate for SMD and their employees.

My comment referred purely to the posting of comments on here, posted by forum users, who are seemingly convinced this move by Absima is the death knell for the Team C brand. Those forum users are also seemingly convinced that calling Absima fit to burn for their business processes will somehow make Absima change their mind.
Old 20-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by woOdy View Post
True but it does work. For an example Kyosho. They have a big following in the UK.
I agree,but not 100% took kyosho some time to get things right again, mainly due to the effort of two people.At first when FDL took over it was a nightmare,if I raced my 8th car on sunday I needed to do all my maintenance sunday night or monday morning,as if I needed parts from my LHS who supported me I needed to order them by monday to have any chance of getting them by friday or saturday and at that time they didn't want to post one small jiffy bag with one pair of front hubs in from france to the uk, so I went Mugen as stuart at Models in motion would post one little jiffy bag,and it would be there tuesday! And as for mugen now in the uk compared to the days of tedlongshaw then models in motion. Moving to centralised distribution in Europe did no favours for uk drivers, most of whom voted with there feet.

But al lthis said, if you put your business hat on it makes sense,and probably any losses they may make in the small uk market are covered by massive savings else were buy doing this Not that I like it, it's just the way it works and us stamping our feet will make very little difference

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 20-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
The damage is already done - shame to say the following of the tm2 is narrowing already due to abismas actions. They need to act quick or loose it all together IMHO.

Plus the difference with Kyosho doing it, and Abisma, is that Kyosho is a world known successful company - Abisma was a small company that many UK drivers laughed at - SMD changed that and they thank them by parting ways, short notice, at Christmas - nice.
Again, business mate, they most likely planned to drop SMD at some point all along, SMD do all the hard work building your reputation, once uk turnover hits certain point you drop them cut out the middle man and supply direct, as you feel your product has now made such an impact on the market your customers will follow the product no matter how it gets to them, and it's a great plan round the boardroom table and on a powerpoint display.BUT weather it works at ground level, well thats a different matter .Business has no heart its just all about money, 10min watching allen sugar, he's a lovely man

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 21-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Who is abisma UK? I take it from the letter they already have an infrastructure in the uk primed and ready I never even heard of them untill this kicked off...I live in a cave and know nothing

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 21-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post

I had heard this has been on the cards since April, but as it hadn't happened back then, maybe they thought it wouldn't go ahead.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 21-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As far UK stockists go, it reads as they will only using the best UK model shops. Which is great but I know I ain't one of them, so "Team Autocare & Cycles" will no doubt be changing brands..
I do hope to carry on selling team c but time will tell.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 21-12-2013

This is the email reply directly from absima concerning the current situation

We have decided that for the UK market we will service this directly from
Germany

If you can just bare with us for a few days, we didn't realise that SMD
would make the announcement as quick as they did.

We will service all UK shops, big or small.

If any of your racing collages who are sponsored currently by SMD for Team C
product's we are happy to continue this please pass this contact address on
for them to get in touch.

Once again, thank you for your email and we will come back to you shortly.

Best Regards
Absima
Old 21-12-2013

I would like to point out I was trying to find out about who and how they will supply spares etc to the uk, I still think it was wrong how they went about and treated SMD and hope the lads are kept on there, but for those who still have and want to keep their team c cars the email was to try and Alleviate the worry that they will no longer be able to get spares or it would be difficult. One thing I have thought of since the original post is what will be their minimum Order be to be able to make it worth while to send it to the uk and if it is more than smaller model shops want to order then that just leaves larger outlets were unless you live close enough to go direct then it leaves just mail order which will cost the postage on top of the retail price then you are relying on the post office to get it to you on time so if you don't say get paid until Friday and was going to your model shop Saturday to collect spares and then race Sundays you have a problem, don't get me wrong kyosho for instance have managed it but they are a bigger brand with bigger resources only time will tell but for me I am in right pickle as I love the car it's that good but I am worried about potential problems with spares availability say absima haven't got the spares in stock then they will have to come from China were team c them selfs are based so how long is that going to take ? .
Old 21-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
How was it a joke under ansmann? It's the same product. I spent 2 years trying to build a team and after Simon moss and Danny McGee signed that would of changed the thoughts of many people. Ansmann are a huge company and for all the efforts that went into the rc side they decided to put into the larger, more successful side.
Is that where your going next season Stu?
Gaz
Old 21-12-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Because they spent time and effort trying to build a brand and then just thought f@*k it, and dropped it like it had herpes... (on a side note, as Ansmann were not the manufacturer and only a box shifter, even with a team, the upgrades would have to come from either ansmann making parts or going back to Team C).