Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 05-01-2014

Default New Driver

Hi,

Way back in 1990 and a ten year old chubby kid was given a Tamiya Manta Ray for Christmas, 23 years later his brother drops a DEX210 RTR on his lap for Christmas and all that boyish excitement has returned!!

I am fairly local (Waterlooville) and looking to run the DEX210, and throw myself into this hobby! My brother who lives in the midlands spotted your group and suggested I got involved.

So here I am with only a few questions. I see you meet on Sunday mornings, is this just a Winter routine? What/when would you recommend a newbie like myself to come down? any advice at all would be great

I have joined the BRCA, aswell.. I think that is everything... erm... help?

Cheers for any advice, help or newbie bashing I receive in advance.

Rob

Old 05-01-2014

Hi, and welcome, they race at TORCH every Sunday (weather permitting and no regionals or nationals) all year round
they're a friendly bunch, tyre of choice is Ballistic buggy green when wet on the rear schumacher silvers/yellows cut stagger or normal stagger rib front, schumacher minispike yellow / blue when dry.
Best to invest in a personal transponder ( a device to count laps) can be found used or new but make sure you buy an AMB brand, the new one is called Harry.
If your not ready to race this coming weekend don't worry, just pop down and meet the guys.
There are a couple of racers down the track with Durango's so you will be able to bend there ear with any buggy questions you may have.
Most important thing is to have fun.
From looking at your pics those tyre's may not be suitable. Sorry.
Old 05-01-2014

Pretty much ditto to what Wylie said.
Indeed, every Sunday usually finishing about 1pm. The track can then be used for open practise.
The club also run a winter and summer championship, which are all day meetings, and usually 1 per month.
There is a wealth of experience at the club, and you will find all members are happy to help. Many of us have run DEX210's and several still do.
You have to start somewhere so come along and see what you think. You will not be disappointed.
Old 05-01-2014

Thanks fella's .

I have ordered a few new bits and bobs, including tyres. Any links to suggested transponders?

The track looks really good in the youtube videos, and photos, im looking forward for a chance to really get to grips with it all

thanks again for the replies

EDIT - one extra question, I see alot of cars running on carpet have guards on their front shock towers... any Idea where I can get them from, ive browsed but am drawing blanks currently..

EDIT EDIT - Does Purcy work or just Harry ?
Old 06-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidzilla View Post
Thanks fella's .

I have ordered a few new bits and bobs, including tyres. Any links to suggested transponders?

The track looks really good in the youtube videos, and photos, im looking forward for a chance to really get to grips with it all

EDIT - one extra question, I see alot of cars running on carpet have guards on their front shock towers... any Idea where I can get them from, ive browsed but am drawing blanks currently..

Hi again.
The guards are generally used to protect the carpet from tearing during a crash. 1 or 2 people do use them at TORCH however, but I assume to protect their front shock tower more than the surface.
Tyres, inserts and glue are usually available at the track, although best to check with Steve Brown or Dan Brown beforehand to avoid disappointment.
The club use the RC4 decoder, so you will need a 'Harry'
Hope this helps.
On race days people start to arrive around 8am. Racing does not usually start till 9.00 to 9.30. This gives time to practise before the start of racing. Ususally some time available after racing for open practise.
Old 06-01-2014

Jolly Goodz,

http://www.oople.com/forums/member.php?u=7258
For the shock tower gaurds.

Regards,
James.

Quote:
Thanks fella's .

Old 06-01-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Thanks fella's .

Purcy transponder will work at TORCH, these are cheaper, but only work on RC4 decoders, Harry PTs work on RC2, RC3 and RC4

http://www.bbksoftware.com/

http://www.bbksoftware.com/pricelist...ales.htm#AMBrc Personal Transponders

If you are only racing at TORCH I'd get the Purcy, I'd check were you plan to race etc.

TORCH crew (including myself) can be contacted via e-mail info@torchracing.org.uk

You've done one of the most important aspects already, got your BRCA membership..
Old 06-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
Purcy transponder will work at TORCH, these are cheaper, but only work on RC4 decoders, Harry PTs work on RC2, RC3 and RC4

http://www.bbksoftware.com/

http://www.bbksoftware.com/pricelist...ales.htm#AMBrc Personal Transponders

If you are only racing at TORCH I'd get the Purcy, I'd check were you plan to race etc.

TORCH crew (including myself) can be contacted via e-mail info@torchracing.org.uk

You've done one of the most important aspects already, got your BRCA membership..
Hi Mikey. Thanks for clarifying the pt issue, and correcting me. With the creation of the RC4 I couldn't really remenber if the Purcy was compatible.
Old 06-01-2014

Thanks Guys some great advice and information here

I have managed to talk my brother into letting go of one of his Harry's... so it wont damage my wallet too much..

I will probably be down in a couple of Sundays time.. but no doubt will have a million questions before then...
Old 06-01-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Thanks Guys some great advice and information here

I have managed to talk my brother into letting go of one of his Harry's... so it wont damage my wallet too much..

I will probably be down in a couple of Sundays time.. but no doubt will have a million questions before then...
Great, look forward to it.
Old 08-01-2014

Nice paint job on the shell, I run a DEX210 and actually used to live in Waterlooville myself (Denmead at least).

See you at the track soon mate
Old 08-01-2014

Thanks, My first experience using liquid mask, and using this type of spray. I do a lot of miniature painting, and have a nice airbrush to try out next time

I can see myself having piles of shells laying around.

I have a day off tomorrow and im going to use it putting all the new bits and bobs on that I have so Expect a new picture soon..
Old 08-01-2014

Quote:
Thanks, My first experience using liquid mask, and using this type of spray. I do a lot of miniature painting, and have a nice airbrush to try out next time

I can see myself having piles of shells laying around.
Gimme a yell when you're at the track so I can say hi... be good to have another miniature painter and airbrusher to chat to!
Old 09-01-2014
oOple Advertiser

I haven't read all the thread but hi
Old 09-01-2014

Hi again

Thanks for the welcomes and advice

Looking at tyres etc, I have hit a stumbling block...

The schumacher stagger front tyres are slim, yet I cannot find slim wheels for the car from TD? will other manufacturers fit, any suggestions?

Also on the airbrush front, who are the recommended brand for (EDIT) using on (EDIT) shells?
Old 09-01-2014
Mad Member

Hi Rob

Welcome

For the staggered rib tyres you mount the tyres on the outer ribs of the wheel. Most people cut the inner rib off first as it looks neater – I spin mine up on a tyre truer and cut them with a hacksaw as it produces a nice clean result but you can take a hacksaw to them directly and then sand them afterwards.

As for shells, I’ll have to leave that to the Durango runners as it tends to be car specific – there is not one brand of shells that covers all models.

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 11-01-2014

Quote:
Also on the airbrush front, who are the recommended brand for (EDIT) using on (EDIT) shells?
My preference is Iwata airbrushes... Japanese quality and last for ever. In terms of paint I use a combination of Createx, Fascolor and AutoAir, plus some Wicked Color for detail work.
Old 11-01-2014

Cheers MrMagoo, any recommended liquid masks aswell ?
Old 11-01-2014

Jon at RCS does good liquid mask, or the Bitty stuff is also good (if you can get it!). Are you at the track tomorrow mate? I should be there first thing, so if you are pop over for a chat!
Old 15-01-2014

I Should be down this Sunday with my brother, looking forward to seeing the track and watching you guys do your thing...