Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 11-12-2006

Default Getting started - help needed....

Hi,
I'm thinking about running a car and wondered what the spec/ rules for the type of cars are. I'm looking at doing this for enjoyment and on a tight budget, may use one of my Tamiya's (Dyna Storm).

If anyone has any details of rules etc it would be great so that I can see what I have to do.

Thanks.
Toby
Old 11-12-2006
Administrator

Hi there Toby,
Welcome!

buggys are pretty free on the rules for club meetings at least, any cells, any motors etc... For bigger meetings like the supercup in febuary things like the brca rules are in force (not sure how stictly).

Generally, if its a 10th scale buggy, its fine!

indoors you'd do well to get something like a 19 spec motor, I use an orion one. They are pretty quick but easy to drive. The dyna if setup properly should be pretty good especially indoors.
Old 13-12-2006

Thanks Jimmy.

I'm looking to come to the event on sunday. Came to the November event and was a bit overwelmed by the amount of kit that everyone had and was unsure whether this was somthing you could do on a budget without being embarrassed!

Is it possible to run somthing like a Dyna Storm with standard stick packs and not be lapped every other lap (subject to half decent driving)?

Any other input would be great.
Thanks Toby
Old 13-12-2006
Administrator

yeah certainly is. You might find more modern cars handle better when setup correctly of course, the rear ends on older cars never seemed quite as planted- having said that I could do alright with my 1990 rc10 so a dyna will be great.

You don't really need all the kit to be honest. I don't bring much any more, I never look after my motors or discharge my cells or do anything but turn up and race.
Old 13-12-2006

Hi Jimmy,
If your racing this sunday can you drop me a pic of your car so I can see how you're doin!?
toby
Old 13-12-2006
Administrator

Afriad I wont be there this weekend as I'm down at the neo invitational thing but will probably make it to the next one. John Price should be there I think, (oscar on here) he is a top fellow and im sure he can give you some advice
Old 13-12-2006

I'll have to seek John out and get some advice that is sorely needed. Been out
this afternoon with one of my old Tamiya SuperShots to remind me how erratic my driving can be!! My excuse is that it was wet .

Will have to get buying up some spares, tyres and batteries in preperation for the new year. What do you guys do about who runs what frequency?

td
Old 13-12-2006
Administrator

it is sorted out at race control, the more the merrier (crystals) but it is usually fine if you have just the one.
Old 14-12-2006
Admin

Feel free to come and speak to me on Sunday, why not fetch your Supershot? it would be good to see one after so long (My first car was the Hotshot in about 1985)
Old 16-12-2006

Hi Oscar,
I'll come and find you tomorrow and grab some pearls of wisdom. I'll put the Supershot together today (took a few bits off to clean mud out of) and pop it in the car.
By the way - your real name Oscar?
Toby
Old 17-12-2006

Thanks for your advice at the meet John. I'm going to pull a car together over xmas all being well so see you in the new year.
Toby
Old 20-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

In my opinion there has never been a better time for people to get competitively into the sport. Compared to the old days, top level kit is so accessible and kit that better than most people need is much more affordable.

In my opinion a 2nd hand B4 (for example), a brushless system (sport will do for most people), 3 packs of nimh cells (3300’s for £25 each) and a charger and you’re away MORE than competativly.
Now I know this is still a large outlay in terms of hard cash, but in the old days this would have got you at the bottom of the ladder. See how well Wayne Collinson (and Craig the year before) did with limited equipment, most of the rest of it is only bought for pub (and internet forum) banter.

I’ll be at the next Batley meeting if you need any more advice,

Dan Greenwood

Nortech is ACE!
Old 20-12-2006
BANNED

Toby,
If you can ger yourself to York on a Staurday evening you may be interested in running one of yout Tamiyas is the vintage series.
Check out the vintage post in the NE region section if the forum, and also,
http://www.northernracer.com/yvr
We have 1 place left before we need to extend the number of heats we take up.
The atmosphere at these meetings is really great, ideal if you if you are old-skool.

Stu.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 20-12-2006

Hi Stu,
That sounds excellent. Will try and get along for a look. I'll keep my eye out for something nice and pre-1990.

Toby