Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 19-01-2009

Default LiPos to fit Corally PHi

Hi ,
I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me what hard case LiPo packs will fit the Corally RDX Phi? The clearance at the back end of a NiMh pack is minimal and with LiPos being square cased I don't think a TrakPower for example will fit. Any suggestions gratefully received!
Old 19-01-2009

the biggest you can get in a phi is a 3200, trakpower.
remember to get the weights
Old 19-01-2009

Great, thanks for that. I was hoping to get a larger capacity so that I'd not need to buy so many but I'm sure they'll still be an improvement over my rather tired 4200 NiMh cells!
Old 19-01-2009

Trakpower 4900's will fit - just mount it on its' side!
Stick the lead weights onto the chassis either side of where you want the Lipo to stand, then just tape it in - or mount two bit of angle aluminium on the chassis to stop it moving from side to side.
At least two of our club drivers, and I believe one of the top STCC drivers have mounted it like this and it does not affect the handling at all.
I did this originally to my Tamiya MSX MRE, having made a simple GRP bracket for it and it worked brilliantly - again the handling was not affected at all.
Old 19-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
Trakpower 4900's will fit - just mount it on its' side!
Stick the lead weights onto the chassis either side of where you want the Lipo to stand, then just tape it in - or mount two bit of angle aluminium on the chassis to stop it moving from side to side.
At least two of our club drivers, and I believe one of the top STCC drivers have mounted it like this and it does not affect the handling at all.
I did this originally to my Tamiya MSX MRE, having made a simple GRP bracket for it and it worked brilliantly - again the handling was not affected at all.
in that case any battery will fit, i wouldn't advise this though
Old 20-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by big air View Post
in that case any battery will fit, i wouldn't advise this though
Why?

Whilst it may appear 'unconventional' it allows, as you rightly state, any Lipo to fit any car. As I said in my post it does not affect the handling of the car, and I've now seen several cars running with this configuration, including my own, without any problems. With Lipo's lighter than NiMH or NiCd cells, there is not an issue with the perceived problem of weight being higher than normal, thus allegedly changing the C of G, to unduly alter the handling characteristics.
It's a solution to the problem that works.
But if you don't like this idea, then make a cradle from GRP to hold the Lipo in its' conventional position, but mounted around 10mm further out from the normal position. Whilst it overhangs the chassis marginally, again the solution works and has no affect on the handling. Again there are several cars running in this part of the world with this configuration without difficulty.
Old 20-01-2009
Mad Member

you can get any of the slim packs in the corrally phi orion core trackpower smc what you need to do is shave down the aluminum thread that is at the rear of the top deck by about a mm just enough to stay pressed in the carbon as for fitting the bigger cells on the side it has a dramatic effect on the handling of the car as the cog is so low it makes a huge diffrence with a pack sticking up even tho they are fairly light i wouldnt recomend it. i know a couple of the 6.5 guys ran them like this mark fuller being the man and yes he won the stcc in 6.5 but i also won the stcc for the secon year running with the 3600 and 3200 tp in the corrally phi running 10.5 and my tq times were within 5 secs of marks times at 90% of the race tracks its up to you but you gotta consider stick a pack on its side looks crap.
Old 21-01-2009

Hi Stu, thanks for that. I must admit that purely from a cosmetic standpoint I wouldn't be keen on running a pack on it's side, but I appreciate the lateral thinking behind the idea.
Am I limited to around 3200mA LiPos? We are limited to 13.5 brushless anyway, so run time is less of an issue, I just don't want to lose out on power compared to someone running a 4900mA Trakpower for example
Old 21-01-2009

Have you thought about just getting a couple of packs of decent 46's then the car will be perfectly balanced as it was designed? I tried to get Lipo to balance in my Phi and struggled, went back to cells and it was perfectly balanced again.......
Old 21-01-2009

One of the reasons for going LiPo is that you can charge in advance and they don't drop off like NiMh packs, meaning I don't need to cart a 12v battery around to peak the cells before racing. The other advantage is that they stay consistent throughout a race. I run LiPos in my micro buggy and have been very impressed.
I'm a little surprised the PHi doesn't have the room as standard. Don't know what team drivers use?
Old 22-01-2009

I bought 2 Corally 4200 last week, they seem to perform better than the lrp ones and drop right in. I already filed the m3 insert down, so not sure of that is needed. Got them in Germany for a very good price.
Old 22-01-2009

Well me and Stu are Horizon team drivers, and i use Corally EP4600's and i guess he uses Lipo. The other Team drivers that do 10.5 (where you would need 6 cell or lipo) vary from cells and lipo.
Personally i couldn't find a way of balancing the lipo i was happy with so switched back to cells and have had no performance issues from them dropping off in a race.
Old 22-01-2009

That's interesting, can you give me any more info on the Corally 4200s such as peak power etc.?

As mentioned earlier, the other disadvantage with the NiMh cells was that I need to peak them before a race and that means carrying a 12v battery around. That isn't so bad for a full day of racing, but a pain in the rear for an evening at club.

If I can't find a decent set of LiPos that fit with no major mods, I may still simply replace my old NiMhs with new.

Thanks for all the advice though.
Old 22-01-2009

I was just sorting the car out, so I made some pictures.

I live in the Netherlands at the border with Belgium and Germany, so 3 sets of rules if I want to race all tree country's. The plan is that I can easily switch between 5cell and lipo.

The 4200 is rated 30C. It comes with external wires and Deans, it looks like it is made for the Phi. The 5000Mah from Corally had Corally style plugs in the case.

I will route the wires as shown in the picture. I try this first, if i don't like it I'll go with the lipo adapter for the Phi, I hear a lot of good things about that adapter.
So far I Like this setup. The m3 insert is filed down and the lipo goes in like it should be without binding.
This is the latest '5 cell' chassis, it's wider than the older one, not sure if that makes a difference.

Joost

Old 22-01-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish View Post
Hi Stu, thanks for that. I must admit that purely from a cosmetic standpoint I wouldn't be keen on running a pack on it's side, but I appreciate the lateral thinking behind the idea.
Am I limited to around 3200mA LiPos? We are limited to 13.5 brushless anyway, so run time is less of an issue, I just don't want to lose out on power compared to someone running a 4900mA Trakpower for example
no the the tp 3600 30c are awsome batts and give excelent power thats what i was running last years stcc and had one of the fastest cars on the race track.

good luck running the car its excelent.

stu
Old 23-01-2009

Joost, you are a star! 30c seems to be about the best output I'm going to get anyway and 4200 will be plenty to get a couple of 4 min heats out of I suspect!
Stu, thanks for your ideas, I'll look into the Trakpower 3600s too as they're also 30c. It's going to come down to price to a certain extent.
I've not long had the PHi, having had an RDX before. At my level, there's not a huge improvement and some people struggle with setup with faster motors I'm told, but I'm pretty happy with it.
cheers guys,
Richard
Old 23-01-2009

Corally even rates it at 30C +.

We have not done a lot off testing with the lipo's, I got them.
There was a 4 hour race here, and one car had 2 Lrp's and 2 Corally's.
Every round with the Corally lipo was .2 sec faster the with a Lrp. I guess they maintain a higher voltage under load.

The Corally can be bought here for E60,- let me know if you have a hard time getting them.

Joost