Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Academy

Old 08-01-2007
Administrator

Default Academy V2 Pro

The new Academy SB V2 Pro has been released - I have seen the V2 in carbon guise already long ago, but this is the first time the V2 has been released in as a PRO and it contains some upgrades / changes from what the earlier Academy V2 team cars.

Possibly winging its way to a review near you some time ? who knows

Old 09-01-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Still got plastic towers, naff shocks and wobby carbon then.... they just haven't learnt then.
Old 09-01-2007
Administrator

I thought the 12 cell slots was daft, no need! but this one seems to have a centre alloy brace to the upper deck, which I would of thought should help things.
Old 09-01-2007

non threaded shocks? i dont beleive it. The best idea is the ability to run the motor on either side, and the cells can go just about anywhere
Old 09-01-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
n and the cells can go just about anywhere
So can dust and dirt
Old 09-01-2007

Ive been racing the SB V2 car with the FRP chassis for a few months now and ive been really impressed! It performed really well out of the box and apart from having a few proplems with the diffs (all sorted now after a rebuild with some better grease!!) its been fantastic!

Its very stable in the air and handles the rough stuff very well and it even runs well indoors!

Im new to racing buggies and dont know a huge amount about them but its put a huge smile on my face! especially as it beat a X5 and a tamiya 501x indoors on sunday
Old 09-01-2007

The actual dynamics of the car was sound, it was just the implementation and material usage let the original car down, and the carbon used on the first car was pointless, I do sincerely hope they got it right this time, but they are still way off the mark for a 'Pro' car.
Old 10-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.tyrc.co.uk View Post
So can dust and dirt
Team Academy presents: the SBV2, if you remove the undertray you can have your own sandpit right ontop of your pit table!
Old 14-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer95 View Post

Im new to racing buggies and dont know a huge amount about them but its put a huge smile on my face! especially as it beat a X5 and a tamiya 501x indoors on sunday
This was due to the Academy had funny tyres that stuck to carpet and expanded to twice there size when you reved it up
Oh and yes the Tam was running full spikes all he had and the X-5 was running 10 year old gone hard mini pins

Oh and i may be wrong but i am sure it was the X5 driver who noticed and fixed the diff on the Academy LOL.....

But enough with the Excuses well done Jimbo ill get you next time ......
Old 09-03-2007

DCM: Have you seen the new car in person yet? The new carbon material is of a higher quality then years past, the plastic is made out of a new material. If I recall, doesnt the xx4, Laser ZX5, and a few others come with Plastic towers? There arent too many companies that offer all time 4wd and a one way in the same package either.

Dave Graboski
RC CAR PRODUCT MANAGER
Model Rectifier Corporation
www.modelrectifier.com
daveg@modelrectifier.com

Home of the ACADEMY SBV2 Pro and GV2 Pro
Old 09-03-2007

Dude, over here in the UK, we tried very VERY hard to push the Academy kit, and get Academy to push things forward, and it all took to long, great concept, wrong company.

I have seen the SB2 in person and it was mostly similar materials, an improvement, but not a package that is fully raceable.
Old 09-03-2007

Not Fully raceable? Wow....

Time will tell.
www.modelrectifier.com
daveg@modelrectifier.com

Old 09-03-2007

DCM: Been a long time since we spoke, all well over there in the UK?

I got the SB V2 Pro new in the box here, and there is ALOT of improvements here that I think you should take another look at the vehicle. The graphite chassis alone not attached to anything felt significantly stiffer than my fully assembled SB V2 Sport did. Really beefy.

The suspension parts in the new hard material are just that, HARD. No flexing around anymore.

Also, with the included extras for the price over heard (about the same the ZX-5), you get a lot of vehicle for the money.

I hope oople does a review soon of the new vehicle. Academy really stepped it up with the V2 Pro.

As for threaded shocks, yes that would have been nice, but, never won a race because my shocks were threaded
Old 09-03-2007

My first question would be... have they changed their metals, like in the outdrives, the drive pins on the driveshafts, the drivecups on the shaft.....

Gearbox internals were fine from what I remember, it was all parts ofaround it that wore at a stupid rate, the stuff that had to be done to remove the wear was daft.

If those are sorted, wishbones, steering arms, caster blocks, steering knuckles are properly stiff, then it might be a workeable base, but I would want to see a V2Pro in my hands and check it out before I would part cash for one.
Old 09-03-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

as steve said..we worked our butts off to get the original sb raceable and quick,even i made a C final at nationals with it so we must have got something right...but oh the wear on the outdrives,having to replace every 2 meetings was not good.

we sent suggestions over to academy(korea) and spoke on the phone in length about the problems but all we got was empty promises,nothing got changed and we had to have parts manufactured ourselves.

too much damage may have already been done by academy to ever get back up with the big boys over here but time will tell...

dave
Old 09-03-2007

I remember tapping out drive pins out of the ends of the CVD's and replacing them with stainless steel pins and bonding them in place to just try to reduce the wear, it was daft.

I even made topdecks (single peice) to run the 4wd nitro truck steering arms, as they were nice and stiff. It wasn't so much tweaking the car for the UK market, a few of us ended up realising that the car needed redesigning from the chassis up.

I wouldn't refuse a free kit though, to test and make me change my mind.... lol
Old 09-03-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

i machined a front kick up plate and cad drew the new one piece topdeck...then the front steering arms.

dave
Old 09-03-2007

The v2 never came with metal outdrives, nor was there ever an issue with the universal pins. All of these issues were with the original SB. The v2 and v2 pro have single piece topdecks. The V2 and the V2 Pro solved all of these issues. I really think you guys will be very impressed with the V2 Pro. Looking forward to you seeing it.
www.modelrectifier.com
daveg@modelrectifier.com

Old 09-03-2007

DCM: You know that I remember those days well. But the V2 Pro has really fixed those issues. Give me a list of what you would like to see about the buggy, and I will take pics, answer questions, etc as the build goes on.

Not sure what is done with Academy in the UK now, but it would be worth a look if someone gets the SB V2 Pro local.
Old 09-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey G View Post
The v2 never came with metal outdrives, nor was there ever an issue with the universal pins. All of these issues were with the original SB. The v2 and v2 pro have single piece topdecks. The V2 and the V2 Pro solved all of these issues. I really think you guys will be very impressed with the V2 Pro. Looking forward to you seeing it.
Care to send me one?? as Helger Racing (UK distributor) has no plans at marketing the Academy range as a Race Car or have a team.