Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-02-2009

Default Car Insurance

Alright Folks!

Just got myself a new car and am looking to insure it. Any ideas on the best places to try? I've just got off the phone with the co op and they said £1300 :O, the best i can get it at the moment with the usual suspects is about £600 but wondered if anyone new any great deals. If it helps its a 225, 53 plate audi tt.

Cheers

Danny

p.s if you just wanna give me abuse about it, leave that too my face i've had plenty already so theres no need to put it on here, im just after some decent quotes

Ta
Old 21-02-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...-car-insurance
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 21-02-2009

confused.com
checkthemarket.com

Once you have some quotes go to quidco and see which are offering cashback.
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 21-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey Danny,
I use www.moneysupermarket.com for comparisons, but then I also ring Direct Line who tend to still be the cheapest for me and use them, they've been cheapest for me on the Z3, Focus and Mondeo.

If you put someone on your policy as a named driver, for example - your mum, then this can make a big difference. Its completely legal too.

How is your home postcode rated? Give them someone else address if insurance is cheaper for a different area.
Old 21-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
How is your home postcode rated? Give them someone else address if insurance is cheaper for a different area.
That's a brilliant idea, I bet the insurance companies have never thought of that...
Old 21-02-2009

Default insurance

I recently swapped both cars to Direct Line and saved a fortune.... The don't advertise with confused.com or other comparison sites so you'll have to go direct....
Old 21-02-2009

Direct line fill out the form online 5 mins and the job is done
Old 21-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
That's a brilliant idea, I bet the insurance companies have never thought of that...
Having working in the motor insurance industry for the last 12 years, this would not be a good idea... trust me! It could potentially invalidate any claim! Same goes for not informing insurance companies of previous claims or driving convictions. If you ever put in a claim or a claim is put in against you the insurance companies will check out everything and these days will all the different databases out there it makes it very easy for them to catch you out!
- Frankenstein DEX410 -
- Schumacher Cougar Classic -
- Xray T4 2013-
- Tamiya Monster Beetle Black Edition -

oOple Trader Feedback
Old 21-02-2009

I've been with Direct line for 5 years and asked for a quote. Over the phone it was 900 but they said they would match the on-line price of 666. Still a bit high i think. Surly i can get it cheaper as ive got 7 years NCB
Old 21-02-2009

the only thing you can do Dan, is to just shop round.... might even be worth going to see an insurance broker as they can shop round more.
Old 21-02-2009

try herts insurance consultants (hic) or allen and allen. both usually good on vw/audi quotes
Old 21-02-2009
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

churchill are normally the cheapest for me and most of my family, they were about £200 cheaper than the rest when i renewed in january any pics of the new ride mr mgoo?
Old 21-02-2009

It's pretty impossible to reccommend an insurer as being cheap, as an example, Churchill may be cheapest for me yet the most expensive for you.

There are so many factors that make up an insurance premium and insurers can easily pick the customer they want by pricing themselves competitively depending on the information we give. As an example; 'Highway insurance' may want drivers of a certain age in a certain postcode area with a certain job and set their prices low to get the business as they consider it to be a low risk.

I'd pretty much recommend what's already been mentioned and use the comparison sites. I've worked for a number of brokers and insurers and we simply can't compete with quotes over the phone compared to those found on-line.
- Frankenstein DEX410 -
- Xray T4 2013-

oOple Trader Feedback
Old 21-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
the only thing you can do Dan, is to just shop round.... might even be worth going to see an insurance broker as they can shop round more.
Brokers don't really "shop" around for you, it's just of a sales pitch. Brokers have a number of insurers on their systems that they can sell policies on behalf of and that's about it.
- Frankenstein DEX410 -
- Xray T4 2013-

oOple Trader Feedback
Old 21-02-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Garry Driffill

The price comparison sites, Yes they are easy to use but you have to ask youreself a question here..

"Are they just being thoughtful for us and comparing it all for free and not earning nothing?"

They DO earn commision from the company that shows up the best for YOU and if you take a quote on from the company that they have recomended the cheapest.

They have costs to cover paying the comparision sites. So in a nock on effect the end point is it will reflect on the price given to you so the best thing to do is phone around and go direct...

"Cut the middle man" -
Old 21-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I too used the comparison sites but when I got the cheapest quote I just contacted the company directly saving the comparison sites fee. Got a good deal on breakdown/homestart too
Old 21-02-2009

I can definately reccomend admiral, but i found that through one of the comparison sites.

It all depends on your situation - i havent got any no claims and admiral offer reasonable prices for people like me

I switched from direct line as they are absolutely USELESS. They might offer you a good quote in the first year but when my renewal came in the post i gave them a call to say i'd moved house. They said thats fine and it would be about £20 more.

Anyway a couple of weeks later i phoned back to check all the details were right and the guy said the first person i spoke to hadnt actually updated my record and now the insurance had gone up by £300! What a joke! I then said i had got a quote from admiral and said could they match it, their answer was "sorry we cant get anywhere near that".

Admiral also phoned me after i took out the policy with them and said would i be interested in paying £30 a year to get a courtesy car in case i had an accident. I said no, then the woman said "we might be able to do it cheaper for you - i'll just ask the manager" and put me on hold for 2 seconds and then said she could do it for £20!

As most people have said its definately worth shopping around and use martin lewis' website for some excellent tips (money saving expert).
Old 21-02-2009
Mad Member

http://www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk/

No one else has been able to get anywhere near them for me over the past 3 years. They really like mod's too which is a bonus.
Old 21-02-2009
Mad Member

I have been sorting out insurance for my new car (Clio 182) and found that Admiral and Privalege have given the best quotes so far. Admiral are good especially if you have more than one car that you need insuring.

All depends on the type of car to if its modified or a performance car you might be better off going to someone like Adrian Flux, greenlight or brentacre.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 21-02-2009

Admiral Multi-Car was almost exactly double the price of my two seperate policies from elsewhere, and exactly the same as two seperate policies from Admiral. Con? You decide...