Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 10-03-2009

Default Mid range Brushless/Brushed esc???

Hi folks,
Im looking to go brushless soon but not sure on wich route to take!!
I run a zx-5 sp with Lipo's. my current speedo is an old M-troniks Digi sprint, its a good little thing but think i could do with an upgrade.

As im not looking to spend stupid amounts my first option is an EzRun system from the Bay (probly the 9T one), i have heard a lot of reports about these systems...mainly good.
Secondly would be the Losi Xceleron setup if i could stretch the funds..
As i already have a few brushed motors i was debating going for a Brushed/Brushless esc then later getting myself a decent brushless motor.

Wich ever route i take i dont want to be buying another esc in 6months time because my driving ability has outgrown the motor limit of the speedo.. so i want to be kind of 'future proof' if you get me!!
Allthough im not looking to break the bank i dont really want to buy 'tat'!!

So i put it to you...what are my options, what do you lot recomend on the brushed/brushless esc and also how flexible are the EzRun and Xceleron systems for future motor upgrades???

Many thanks in advance folks...

Paul...
Old 10-03-2009

Smile

Hi i'm fairly new to this but was looking at the same as you,a decent first time brushless set-up.

I considered the excelorin and it does look very good for the price the motor and speed controller seem good quality.
The only thing that put me off was that there seems to be mixed reviews regarding the software, many people saying they have had problems but some say that its been good.

Anyway today i took the plunge and bought the ezrun system 5.5t from ebay for my yokomo b-max, the way i look at it is it costs only £70.00 delivered, if its no good then i havnt lost a fortune.

From reading various threads on this and other sites it seems to have good reviews and i believe that they also make esc/motors for speed passion which are a known decent make.

Will take a week or so to arrive ill let you know if its any good.

Regards
Old 10-03-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Well all depends on what you really want. I thought getting a Tekin RS Pro would be the way so I can do brushed or brushless, and it is sensored and sensorless in brushless so best of both worlds.

I hear the Losi system is good and the total cost its a good investment. But its what you want in the future, as you may as well invest in a top brand now and then at least you wont have to upgrade when you get better.

So if your really in doubt maybe buying either a second hand Novak GTB (no limit) which is sensored only (and is extremly good) or a second hand Tekin RS Pro or the one that Schumacher sells on their home page, speed passion. That is also a very good make and cheap too. Hope this kindof helps
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 10-03-2009

Cheers Welshy, its defo food for thought....still undecided tho

Lazer ZX-5 SP Macctrack
Old 10-03-2009
Mad Member

I Have the losi 4.5 combo, and overall i am very happy with it. Had a few problems with the software, but all ok now. I think the esc can handle up to 3.5 turns if you are feeling brave. I am pretty sure it is not backward compatable with brushed motors though. I was told this is why it is cheaper than some of the other makes.
Old 10-03-2009

Thumbs up MID RANGE MOTORS

I have a post about the EZRUN 5.5 speedo and motor. I have been running a LRP 2006 Competition and a reedy 6.5 brushless and dad bought the EZRUN as a spare. It was no slower and I really liked it. I am only 12 but am a reasonable driver and find the EZRUN good enough to be very competetive. I was in the A final on Sunday and the car was not passed on the straight all day. Drive ability was good and brakes excellent. Easy to set up and good quality. It would take a newcomer a couple of seasons to out grow it. If more drivers run these it might show the big boys what a rip off their products are.
Cheers Aaron.

MTCEXHAUSTS.CO.UK.
Old 10-03-2009
Mad Member

I have both a 5.5 and 9t ezrun set and they are great. They are raced every week, also surprisingly smooth considering they are sensorless