Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 07-11-2009

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser
Default Maverick atom

Hi all, just wondering what the general school of thought is on these little cars? They are nice price, come rtr and have some favourable reviews in the mags but I wanted to know what the car is like to own.
I was thinking of having a bit of fun with 1:18th over the winter so any other suggestions of better options will be greatfully received.
Old 07-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the Atom is pretty similar to the RC18. It's a good little car for the money and spares are peanuts. But if you plan to race it then you will certainly struggle against Sharks and Blazes, they are simply in a different league.

If your club runs a standard class for Atoms then it will be great. I know one club used to have a stock class for them so that it was a level playing field and it sounded really popular.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 07-11-2009

Well club wise, alot of SRCC members have RC18s but I was thinking of popping over to Ellesmere Port on Friday nights for a bit of a laugh. Not sure what the Ellesmere Port boys run though.
The plan was to buy something cheap and cheerful, race it a few times to get to grips with a new class and then upgrade the rtr to a better spec over time.
Old 07-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if your club is mainly RC18s then it will be Ok. But as i said, it really will struggle against a Blaze, even in an average drivers hands.

In terms of upgrades, i don't think there is much that would improve the car. You may be able to put the RC18 parts on it, such as FT shocks etc.

To be honest you may be better looking at a Blaze RTR, around £130 i think so not massively steep. Then you can upgrade it over time to the ST spec with the wider wishbones and ball diffs.

Or head over to UK-MicroRC and see what's for sale. The LRP shark is king and for good reason, it has everthing you will need in the kit. Shocks, ball diffs, graphite parts, UJ's, the works

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 07-11-2009

I have been moochin about the UK Micro site for a few days now and it does look like the FTX is the one to go for. Cheers mate, appreciate it.
Old 21-01-2010

The Atom is brilliant for the money, brilliant for the price of an RC18 even. It is just as fast becuase the inners are the same, it is tougher because of the shorter wishbones and stick a small brushless in it and who knows (i will soon a hope).
I ran mine in a race with RC18s there was one ramp inparticular which was very steep and only 20cm high, the RC18s tended to be a bit careful over it were as i managed to lodge my Atom onto the 1.2m high rostrum. I have never had to change a part on it, though the adjustable shocks and larger pinions did help.

Like Jim said if you are racing RC18s you will have no problems, might even outlast em in terms of crash-proof-ness. Fantastic car for the price, well specced with ball racers and a proper transmitter and esc with 2 modes and if you ever need spares they are dirt cheap.
Old 21-01-2010

Default atom

blaze would be better choice all round.as u can use it at ur local club now,then u can upgrade it to national spec later.found 1 on ebay 4 u to look at,250564886500-looks new with no offers on it at mo.hope this helps!