Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 26-01-2010

Default Shaving off mass & gluing tyres...

I managed to shave off 80g, shortened ESC wires, soldered directly to motor (so no heavy corally connectors), removed motor heatsink & fan (motor isn't getting too hot really), but leaving ESC fan on.

Seems perfectly balanced on axis too & no mass tweak.

so from 1508g to 1428g..... do you think that will make a difference?

I found a way to get it to 1350g exactly, but that makes it slightly left unbalanced.

also who is gluing their blocks onto the rims?????
Old 26-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I assume you are talking touring car, if you want to lose more weight, hang your lipo off the edge of your chassis, you will need less weight to balance the car up, currently run a TA05 IFS-R with a 3Racing chassis, and I had to add weight to get it up to 1350g that way.
Old 26-01-2010

i glued mine to the rims as mine kept coming off

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas-b4-b44 View Post
I managed to shave off 80g, shortened ESC wires, soldered directly to motor (so no heavy corally connectors), removed motor heatsink & fan (motor isn't getting too hot really), but leaving ESC fan on.

Seems perfectly balanced on axis too & no mass tweak.

so from 1508g to 1428g..... do you think that will make a difference?

I found a way to get it to 1350g exactly, but that makes it slightly left unbalanced.

also who is gluing their blocks onto the rims?????
LOSI 13.5/6.5T BRUSHLESS

Old 26-01-2010

Yup will probably glue mine too now.

As for battery hanging off edge, it's already hanging off with the xray balance weights, only way to reduce weight is to remove them (80g) but then battery isn't hanging off and center of G is shifted to the left, so I think 1430 is about it.
Old 26-01-2010

Quote:
Yup will probably glue mine too now.

As for battery hanging off edge, it's already hanging off with the xray balance weights, only way to reduce weight is to remove them (80g) but then battery isn't hanging off and center of G is shifted to the left, so I think 1430 is about it.

To be honest Lucas, on our surface we race, I think a slightly heavier car is probably a better option for us. As to the tyres, I currently don't glue them, but I'm going to mark them this week to see if they spin on the rims during the race, not that this is going to fixmy loose back end...
Old 26-01-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedsrcmcc View Post
To be honest Lucas, on our surface we race, I think a slightly heavier car is probably a better option for us. As to the tyres, I currently don't glue them, but I'm going to mark them this week to see if they spin on the rims during the race, not that this is going to fixmy loose back end...
Scott, how much toe-in are you running on the touring car? Run as much as possible and then try and "get" more steering if you need it by altering the front suspension
Old 27-01-2010

with such a low traction surface such as th eone we race on, I agree with Scott in that a heavy car will be easier to drive.

I believe that a lighter car will ultimately be quicker, but my car weighs in at 1550g and I have no desire to lighten it... although having said that I am tempted to get myself a new race chassis now that the drift season is comming up and I should put my Pro-D back to drift spec.
Old 30-01-2010

after terrible results racing at 1430g, back to 1500g, why don't I listen to those pro's
Old 30-01-2010

same

Quote:
after terrible results racing at 1430g, back to 1500g, why don't I listen to those pro's
LOSI 13.5/6.5T BRUSHLESS

Old 30-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
Scott, how much toe-in are you running on the touring car? Run as much as possible and then try and "get" more steering if you need it by altering the front suspension
I've been running the T3 in the exact same spec as my T2, ie out of the box geometry apart from removal of rear anti-roll and slightly more rear toe-in with the addition of extra 1mm spacer washer and using white springs all round.

I did notice that the front toe in was pretty much not there after your comment and tweaked the toein with one complete rotation on the turnbuckles. I've also changed to blue springs all round and a small tweak and the car was back into it's swet spot again this week.

Took TQ, came a close second in 1st A Final, but should have won it if not knocked off but won the 2nd though Chris had difficulties in the second half. Was running minipins this week but will try the rally blocks again next week to see if that helps further as I was getting some good grip with them before Christmas.

Weird how subtle changes can turn the car around so quickly