Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 29-05-2007

Default How is the Vintage 1/10th off road scene?

HI,

I'm new to these forums (found it last night)

I used to race at Batley Buggy Club back in the late 80s when i was in my early teens. I haven't driven an rc car since. I came across my old Procat in the loft the other day and in researching the net to find out if it is worth anything i came across this forum.

I was very supprised to find talk on some parts of this site of vintage RC car racing. I'm wondering if anybody is still doing it since all the threads i read were a bit dated.

I left racing because i couldn't afford to keep up. We used to have a standard class that could only use 27 turn motors. But Batley decided to change to allow anything (inline with BRCA i think). With that I couldn't afford to be competitive so gave up.

It wasn't just the cost of motors. Batterys were an issue and to make a modified motor do 5 mins meant very expensive ones, with chargers to match. I was amazed to read that dumping is a thing of the past with your 4200mah cells!

I liked what i read about the standard motor etc that the vintage guys use to keep costs down.

Was also suprised to see shaft drive back in. I thought we had finished laughing about them in the hotshot! And whats with centre diffs, carbon fibre and brushless motors!!!!!!

Sorry, I was being nostalgic.
Old 29-05-2007
BANNED

The vintage-masters series was really something for us to do during the winter, I think we will be doing it again this next winter - hopefully bigger & better. Not that I want summer to end, but I am looking forward to the second season of vintage racing.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 29-05-2007
Super Moderator

My vote is for 19t motors and either a split between 2WD and 4WD or a 1 lap handicap for 4WD.

New purchase on its way!????
Old 29-05-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

i'd like a vintage car.
Old 29-05-2007
Super Moderator

I have a new weapon in the pipe line

G
Old 29-05-2007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITTLER555 View Post
My vote is for 19t motors and either a split between 2WD and 4WD or a 1 lap handicap for 4WD.
Sounds about right.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 29-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

what do you all class as vintage?
does it have to be a certain age?

would a manta ray or top force be classed as vintage? with them being re-released and everything?

Only askin cos this is what I used to run when I started racing...although it ended up being a jamie booth team special in the end.
Old 29-05-2007
BANNED

It was pre-1990 last winter.

The rule was only enforced loosely though.

We basically wanted no 'modern' cats, no XX's or B2's - you get the idea.

It was left up to the concience of the individual if they wanted to run something that was borderline.
Old 29-05-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
It was left up to the concience of the individual if they wanted to run something that was borderline.
Old 29-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

so if you want to race one then you'd be looking at an associated, schumacher or yokomo or something similar?
Old 29-05-2007
BANNED

Type of car was not important - as long as the date was pre-1990 (or very close to it) -
Old 29-05-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

We should probably have a chat sometime (booze fueled) to decide on next years rules. If it is 19t I shall start scouring ebay now.

Personally I would be keen for a 2wd/4wd split as last year it was clear you couldn't keep up with a 2wd even with the stingers, that will become more pronounced with quicker motors.

I must say though it was really good fun and when I got the RC10 dialled in (particularly for the endurance) it was very satisfying. Going up the inside of a new Lazer being a particular highlight

Nortech is ACE!
Old 29-05-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

The rule is applied to the chassis conception, so with my RC10 even though itself is a bit later than 1990, the chassis design is 1990. As Stu says, for 2wd defo no XX's or B2's, anything other than that is handicap enough I think.

4wd alledgedly the procat was old enough G's car was proper good, would have put many a more modern 4wd to shame indoors!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 29-05-2007
Mad Member

i want a kyosho maximum ff.....
Old 29-05-2007

Looks like I just missed the boat on a nostalgic run.

Just charged my Phil Greenwood matched 1700 SCE Batterys for the first time in what must be 15 years and they charged and my Procat lived. After a minute it stoped running. The connecting wire between the saddle packs had come off. Charged my second set and we were away again. I drove it for another 2 mintues and the rear wing flew off. O-rings perished. Then 20 seconds later I hit a lamp post and broke the servo horn. So that was brief!

But, Would an old procat be totally outclassed in todays field?
Old 29-05-2007
Super Moderator

Just been negotiating the details of my new weapon, its a bit rare to race really, but sod it!

G
Old 29-05-2007
Mad Member

ayk?
Old 29-05-2007

I think that anyone who had a go at last years Vintage championship was pleased with the way it went, most of the rules are more sence than restricting... Good choice with not allowing Mini-pins

It would be nice to have a little more poke (19t sound a bit more like it)...

Jim
Old 29-05-2007
Administrator

I have a couple of new AYK buggies from 1986/7 - perfect for anyone wanting some vintage racing! 150 quid a pop! bargain!
Old 29-05-2007
Super Moderator

If we go ahead this year, we need to again know roughly how many people are going to turn up?

I have a Losi JRX2 which I will lend out to suitable candidates, all you will need is radio gear. As long as any breakages are covered!

The MID Optima may also be available, which nearly proved successful against Northy's Procat, if you have Futaba 40Mhz radio gear you only need to bring a radio for that! OH! it needs a new front shock tower if anyone can locate one!

I would rather see more cars out this year with a handicap on 4WD.

Dan ended up very competitive with his RC10 so 2WD could still win overall.

If we run 19t motors, they would need to be supplied for the above cars.

Candidates can form an orderly queue, probably behind Chris Long