Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 03-04-2010

Default B4 Motor Mount Spacer / Longer Top Shaft

I saw that the Kyosho RB5 is comming out with a kit to center the motor in the transmission in the link below. I was trying to accomplish the same thing with the B4 however it seems the only missing piece would be a longer top shaft. I saw that the Associated GT2 top shaft is exactly what I need but it has 21 teeth instead of 20 as is on the b4 top shaft. Is it possible to remove the gear from the GT2 top shaft and replace it with a B4 top gear? Thanks for your help.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37411
Old 03-04-2010

You could try, but it will probably bind.

But maybe a RC10 Hydra-drive top-shaft will do ?
Old 10-04-2010

Send a message via MSN to Thomas P

I did the mod, with out some GT2 parts...jConcepts Bushing, "GT2 cushtube, B4 Wingmount screw (shortened), B44 batt post for the Wingmount to plate...

My blogg
Old 10-04-2010

dont suppose anyone has done a tutorial with a parts listing needed to do this mod.

im bit of a noob at things like this

thanks!

www.aranwilcox.com
Old 11-04-2010

Yes the PArt numbers would mak it a lot easier!!

TLR 22 "1.0"
Old 11-04-2010

Nice work. Probably being slow here, but what top shaft did you use? Step by step and part no's on your website please!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
I did the mod, with out some GT2 parts...jConcepts Bushing, "GT2 cushtube, B4 Wingmount screw (shortened), B44 batt post for the Wingmount to plate...

Old 11-04-2010

Ok guys, first, i would like to say i thought this mod would be made in no time .

Parts list.

*BJ4 TRANSMISSION SPACER (4) #1030 (5mm)
*AE RC10B4 Wingmount screw 4 of them, Not sure about the length
*AE GT2 crushtube 1
**AE B44/BJ4 batterypost <--This one will be needed if you do not find a extra long screw for wingmount. Or similar, you will do some cuting in this and be using the threads..

The easiest thing is to find 1 screw that is longer then stock Wingmount screw, mm or inch does not mathers, just rethread that in the motormount if it is mm, if you do this, this mod will be done in no time

You will use stock topshaft, but it is real tight, the outer plate does almost getting no grip on the shaft...

When you mount 3 of the long Wingmount screws they will be little to long, they have to be cut a mm or so, this you have to see for ya self. Do not forget the spacers, do a "test mount" before cut.

For wingmount, you will have a extra long screw, the "stock one" will not fit if you will use a regular spacer here...Thats why i using the Batterypost , cut to same length app as the spacers.. But later on this one..

So you have a long screw that will fit, just mount everyting no threadlock, yet..Time fit GT2 crushtube on topshaft...Mount inner slipper plate. Now this is the tricky part, it is little to long, a dream would be a shaft that is 2-3mm longer, but we do not have that, so when you mount this togheter the outer plate will not touch the topshaft...and will not be centrated...I took out the inner plate, the edge on plate facing tranny, there is a tiny,tiny little edge, sand this one down, app 0.5mm or less, you will se the edge, and understand, just take off the little "edge" when this is done, you can make it fit, it is on the "hair" that it works, but i does. Cut one coil of spring...Attach the slipperplate inner one,pad,gear,pad and outer slipper pad, spring and nut. You have to help the outer plate little to get in center position, it have not much "grip", but it will work..

If you do not find any extra long screw, we will using the batterypost... cut it in same length as the spacers, but be sure to have enough with threads in it, cus we will cuntersunk this hole in Motormount, from the spurgear side, and using a short sunked screw maybe you have to cut it, just so you can make it attaced to the mount on the other side...OBS, you have to sunk it, good, and maybe drmel of the head, otherwise the iner slipper plate will touch this one..it is that close. When this is done, and mounted, you can use the stock wing mount screw if you drill out the outer wingmount, like cuntersunk it, a few mm...but my tip is to get longer screws...i will do it.

My blogg
Old 12-04-2010

Friend that have a machineshop, will work on a stock topshaft, and add some material...if this work we have a winner.. il brb asap he he is done, app a week

My blogg
Old 12-04-2010

I will do this too, but first ..... how much is the GT2 Crushtube longer han a B4 one ??
cause than i could grind the slipperhubs down an turn me some spacers !
please full length in mm if you know or mesure it!

Thanks guys

TLR 22 "1.0"
Old 13-04-2010

Have no idea, have no here. Il see what i can do.

My blogg
Old 13-04-2010

ok thx

TLR 22 "1.0"
Old 14-04-2010

I made a longer topshaft for my X-6 by taking the gear off the associated top shaft and putting it on a XX topshaft (part #LOSA3060). You need to drill a new hole in the shaft and cut a groove in the gear for a pin. I used green loctite (sleeve retainer) on the shaft & gear to make sure it didn't move.

You should be able to space out the motor & slipper plates 4mm without a longer top shaft.

Thinking out loud... I wonder if it's possible to move the gear on the stock AE topshaft to gain a little more length. Moving the gear 2mm shouldn't be a problem and will still leave enough length for the shaft to ride in the bearing.
Old 14-04-2010

i think getting the gear off the shaft is no problem but getting it on somewhere else would be the problem, i think.

But i could be wrong

TLR 22 "1.0"