Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 08-04-2010

Default DB01 501X 12MM HEX CONVERSION

Recently got my hands on this Yeah Racing hex conversion for my DB01. I have 2 sets. 1 for my DB01 and 1 for my 501X. Whats everyone's take on this? It seems to me that the rear and front wheels sit wider than normal with the hex conversion than with the stock configuration. Anyone have any experience with this set up or is it best to stick to the stock config.?
Old 08-04-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

I'm happy with the stock setup, mainly because the choice of wheels is pretty flexible: tamiya, losi, or B44 (with an M5 washer pushed in the front hex).

If it spaces them out - will there be a problem fitting it in the box?
Old 08-04-2010

Fitting in the box isthe least of my concerns, My main concern is the handling characteristics. Also Im well aware of wheel options with the stock setup Im just looking for feedback regarding the added width and how it impacts handling, if at all.
Old 08-04-2010
Mad Member

Of course, I meant the BRCA maximum width box...
Old 08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncrabb View Post
Of course, I meant the BRCA maximum width box...
Sorry I took your post too literally.
Old 08-04-2010

Default wheel hex

ive run with this set up at club days, i scored some cheap d4 wheels, didnt really notice much difference in handling, the track would only be wider by a few mm. if it works use it. cheers chris
Old 08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom chris View Post
ive run with this set up at club days, i scored some cheap d4 wheels, didnt really notice much difference in handling, the track would only be wider by a few mm. if it works use it. cheers chris
I mean I noticed massive wheels wobble with the stock config. I purchased kyosho rb5/zx5 wheels with the 12mm hex and they fit right on but being that the width increased the wheels nuts dont tighten all the way. The nut only screws in like 3/4 of theway and doesnt hit the plastic part of the nut. Im afraid they may come loose or something or I can try cutting the nut or finding smaller ones.
Old 09-04-2010
Mad Member

You could use the (TRF) serrated nuts? I've been using these on stock wheels and I love them, so much more secure than the nyloc nuts.

I like them so much I use them on all my cars now.
Old 09-04-2010

I remember i read some posts on the long Durga Thread. Someone said that handling is terrible when using the hex conversion but i think this was only if you mount Dark Impact wheels because then you have a different width. I don´t know if the width is that much different when using the hex conversion but with other wheels though...
Old 09-04-2010

I finally tested the car last with the hex conversion. The car handled fine but at certain points I felt like the car wouldnt track straight, then for some reason it would track too straight. Its odd but it mightve been my steering trim...have to do some more investigating but the odd wheel movement with the stock setup was eliminated with these hexes. Im going to give her a go again and see whats going on and determine if it has something to do with the increased track width or just the hex coversion itself or my remote settings. One thing is for sure though when it held its line it felt way more stable. That I noticed automatically.
Old 09-04-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

I usually find if the car is wondering a little intermittantly it's either a servo not centering or a loose servo horn. If the screw holding the servohorn is loose even by 1/2 turn it introduces loads of slop into the steering and can cause centering issues.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2k View Post
I usually find if the car is wondering a little intermittantly it's either a servo not centering or a loose servo horn. If the screw holding the servohorn is loose even by 1/2 turn it introduces loads of slop into the steering and can cause centering issues.
Cant be I have the aluminum servo horn from tamiya...but maybe the plastic part?
Old 09-04-2010

I did the yeah racing conversion on both my Durga and 501x. The stock attachment is retarted. Both cars had massive wheel wobble. With the conversion, both cars have wheels that turn true as can be.

I used the HobbyPro 5 spoke ebay wheels on the Durga, and they did widen the rear track.

On my 501x, I use Dark Impact wheels. Someone on the Durga thread told me car wouldn't handle right with them, but they are just about the same distance off the car as the stock wheels were and the car handles fine.

Old 10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I did the yeah racing conversion on both my Durga and 501x. The stock attachment is retarted. Both cars had massive wheel wobble. With the conversion, both cars have wheels that turn true as can be.

I used the HobbyPro 5 spoke ebay wheels on the Durga, and they did widen the rear track.

On my 501x, I use Dark Impact wheels. Someone on the Durga thread told me car wouldn't handle right with them, but they are just about the same distance off the car as the stock wheels were and the car handles fine.

LOL...it is retarded. I believe you about the fact that it handled the same...If anything if its wider it should be a bit more stable during cornering but it may slow it down a bit. Either way Its just over all a better way to mount wheels. Plus the 12mm hex we are using doesnt allow the pin to fly out of the UJ every time you take off a wheel. With the stock stuff you lose pins all day. I have so many extra pins because of that reason. Also I ordered like 2 sets of kyosho 12mm wheels and I feel like its a shame to waste them...At least if anything Ill try them and see how it goes.
Old 24-04-2010

guys, just further to this 12mm hex conversion, there are obviously a fair few wheels out there with the 12mm hex. has anyone found wheels that leave the track width of the car the same, im keen to run the 12mm hex, but my car needs to be legal, so i need the width of the car to stay the same
Old 25-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
guys, just further to this 12mm hex conversion, there are obviously a fair few wheels out there with the 12mm hex. has anyone found wheels that leave the track width of the car the same, im keen to run the 12mm hex, but my car needs to be legal, so i need the width of the car to stay the same
Tell me the width of your stock front and rear wheels and I'll compare to my DF03 wheels.
Old 25-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV2382 View Post
Plus the 12mm hex we are using doesnt allow the pin to fly out of the UJ every time you take off a wheel. With the stock stuff you lose pins all day. I have so many extra pins because of that reason. Also I ordered like 2 sets of kyosho 12mm wheels and I feel like its a shame to waste them...At least if anything Ill try them and see how it goes.
Little bit of AW grease on the pin solves that aswell. Haven't lost a single one.