Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 04-05-2010

Default drive shafts big durango problem!!!

I hope Durango will deliver as soon as possible the new 2.0 drive shafts.

Last Week at Austrian regional championships the standard stopped me and so i could not win the amain.

I wrote Durango an email, but they didn`t anser yet - another durango team driver had the same problem and his rar drive shaft pin cutted his accu.

The cars perfomance is amazing but the durability is not good.

I think they have to offer every durango owner one 2.0 drive shaft system for special price.

brgds

Andi
Old 04-05-2010

Thumbs down

"Des Menschen Wille ist sein Himmelreich"
Old 04-05-2010

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Hi Andi,
The reason no one hasd replied to your e-mail, is that the e-mail was sent to the Team Durango set-ups account not the support e-mail address. The e-mail was addressed to Gerd in person and has therefore been forwarded on to Gerd as we were unsure of it's intention.

Regarding the d/s have you built them as per the tips and tricks section of the TD blog? This is the best way to 'bulletproof' your driveshafts as tested by the Team.

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=44

Regards

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!
Old 04-05-2010

ok i ll try it,

hpoe it will work so

thx

andi
Old 04-05-2010

I dammage 2 Lrp batteries too.

I cut part 310039(plastic cover from diff) direct fit over all the drive shafts to prevent the pin from falling off.
Old 05-05-2010

I never have any problems and i drive the car very hard and a lot of jumps at my track!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2010

not the jumps are the problem!

if the track is very bumpy, the car has to absorbe vibrations, and only there is the problem!
Old 05-05-2010

I have the same problems and read your "tips and tricks" - last time I did not lose the pin - but it broke in two parts (Both set screws were ok !) The result was the same : I had to stop the car. Please make me a good offer for the 2.0 parts (by PN)

Old 06-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I have the same problems and read your "tips and tricks" - last time I did not lose the pin - but it broke in two parts (Both set screws were ok !) The result was the same : I had to stop the car. Please make me a good offer for the 2.0 parts (by PN)
I hear ya mate.... We've had a few guys with the same problem, myself included. And that's even after using 2x set screws, threadlock and 2 layers of heatshrink.
If the the pins don't come out, they just snap.

I'm not whinging here.. just saying it's a problem that has happened to more than one person. ;-)
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

i seen the same thing happen on a mates car.
the pin went straight through the lipo.
and as you keep saying adam they were bulletproofed, but the pin snapped.

the pins are just to thin, and were the flat has been cut makes the pin to weak.
it's a poor design fault which should be sorted, and not just in future kits, but in kits that are out there now.

durango are getting a lot of bad press over this may'be if they sort out exsisting owners problems then this might just convince people to invest in a durango.
Old 06-05-2010

I made mine according to the manual of a later kit no.770 (I didn't know about the bulletproofing on the website). I took a bit of time over it as I do if it seems a bit tricky, during my 3rd qualifying the pin snapped at the end of the straight and dug in to my 109 euro lipo. I had bought all kinds of spares but of course not the lipo. No one else at the club uses saddle packs so I was out. The car itself is fantastic and I have no problems recommending it.

I would like to resolve any future issues by getting the 2mm shafts, is there any news when these will be available as spares from the R? It would not be the end of the world if Team Durango did not make some gesture for existing owners but I'm sure we would all feel vindicated in buying such a high end car if they did .

My main information I need is when they 2mm shafts will be released and if I have time to buy them or should I go the Tresey route as they're already available?
Old 06-05-2010

One tip all you guys could try is putting the casing from an 11mm bearing over all your CVD's. This way you don't have to use any grub screws so there is no pressure on the middle of the pin.

I did this and ran the car for months, racing every week and never had any problems. To check the wear on your pins you simply remove the bearing casing and push the pin out, takes seconds. By using the bearing casing i only had to replace the pins after over 4 months of continuous use. They never actaully snapped though, i only replaced them as they were slightly worn.

Hope this helps
Old 06-05-2010

Thanks for that, what do you use to hold it on? You don't have a photo do you?
Old 06-05-2010

No photos im afraid, don't have a camera phone.

All you do is get some 11mm bearings, dremel about 1mm off the outside and push the middle of the bearing out. This leaves you with the outer casing of the bearing.

You then simply crimp this over your CVD using some pliers. This creates a solid cover completely preventing the pin coming out. You just use this method instead of using heat shrink. No need to use grub screws either as theres no way the pin will force its way through the outer casing of a bearing!
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

Hulk

Photos will be up in a few minutes - just uploading em
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

People

This is what Hulk is talking about - i did this from day one on my Durango - no problems at all - bearing cases are a very tight fit (in fact do more than you need as a couple shattered whilst trying to "push" them over the joint)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03378.jpg (76.4 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03381.jpg (59.4 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03384.jpg (56.2 KB, 344 views)
Old 06-05-2010

Cheers for that Shanks

I had a few shatter also but to stop this happening all you have to do is dremel a slightly wider gap in the outer casing. This stops it from been such a tight fit and stops them shattering when crimping them on.
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

No worries Hulk - can you do me a favour now and tell me how i can get my car round the track as quick as you do ! lol
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

I've seen the same here in Norway. Fast & cool cars but most of them end up as DNFs in the finals...

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

Cant agree sorry

Mine gets some stick - mostly cause my driving is not spot on - so i crash it a bit

Nothing breaks at all

ok i have broke a servo saver twice - but then i did crash head on into concrete !