Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 28-05-2010

Default 501x-Im a bit rusty. Can anybody help me?

Hi guys.
Its been years since ive had anything to do with my 501x let alone modern day racing (vintage stuff usualy gets all my attention- LOL). I guess what I first need to know is a good place to start with gearing for a Novak 10.5 motor in this car. Im running an older GTB which has the lipo cut off function (if that gives any idea of the age/tech of the BL gear Im using).

The other thing is set up. Im still not completely satisfied I understand roll centres so was wondering what settings I should be aiming for when it comes to roll centres and the like. The car will be driven on a dry loose dirt track that rarely grooves up so any constructive advice which will keep the rear end holding the tracks surface would be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance- Jason.
Old 28-05-2010

Gearing I can help with. I love this site for help with most cars.

http://www.comeseethis.com/gearing/Default.aspx
Old 28-05-2010

The great news is Novak posts their recommended gear ratio's depending on the motor / car combo.. Novak recommends an 8:1 FDR for their 10.5T when used with a 4WD buggy. This means you should target a 23T-24T pinion for the 501X using the stock 91T spur gear (both of those pinions range between the 8:1 ratio).

This should help you to target the sweet spot for gearing and should keep your temps well below 160F.

I can post a walkthough for calculating gearing (using www.gearchart.com) if you want to know how I got these results.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORMAC View Post
Hi guys.
Its been years since ive had anything to do with my 501x let alone modern day racing (vintage stuff usualy gets all my attention- LOL). I guess what I first need to know is a good place to start with gearing for a Novak 10.5 motor in this car. Im running an older GTB which has the lipo cut off function (if that gives any idea of the age/tech of the BL gear Im using).

The other thing is set up. Im still not completely satisfied I understand roll centres so was wondering what settings I should be aiming for when it comes to roll centres and the like. The car will be driven on a dry loose dirt track that rarely grooves up so any constructive advice which will keep the rear end holding the tracks surface would be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance- Jason.
Old 28-05-2010

Many thanks Dimblum.
Old 31-05-2010

The stock 15/91 gear ratio is perfect for a 5.5 brushless motor.
Seems like what the worlds edition kits were made for.

23 or 24 sounds about right for a 10.5 motor as the higher the number
the bigger the pinion needs to be.

Motor and gearing so far
10.5 23 or 24
5.5 the stock 15 tooth

I imagine if you wanted to run a 17.5 which due to the high rate of torque in a 17.5 you could slap a 29 or 30 tooth on it.
But also you'd have to swap out the spur to the smallest maybe a 72 tooth.
Old 31-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimblum View Post
The great news is Novak posts their recommended gear ratio's depending on the motor / car combo.. Novak recommends an 8:1 FDR for their 10.5T when used with a 4WD buggy. This means you should target a 23T-24T pinion for the 501X using the stock 91T spur gear (both of those pinions range between the 8:1 ratio).

This should help you to target the sweet spot for gearing and should keep your temps well below 160F.

I can post a walkthough for calculating gearing (using www.gearchart.com) if you want to know how I got these results.

Hope this helps.
good answer mate but you might want to take into account that the standard 501x spur is 96t, 511 is 91t unless they changed it already...
Old 01-06-2010

Thanks for that. I was not sure which spur gear to do the math for.

If BORMAC can confirm his spur gear is a 96T then the recommended pinions will be between 24T-25T (closer to 25T at a 7.89:1 ratio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
good answer mate but you might want to take into account that the standard 501x spur is 96t, 511 is 91t unless they changed it already...
Old 06-06-2010

Got the 501 back out for a run today for the first time in years. It was a real pleasure to wheel around the track yet again.