Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-08-2007

Default What iis your radio gear?

Hi everyone,

As I'm planning a re-enter RC, I investigate about the "new" stuff available and so about radio! I went on a couple of HS around here and they just sell pistol radio for car in NA (Canada). As I ask for a stick radio, they told me everyone did the move to pistol and don't have any stick tx! I saw on Jimmy's race pics that you guys get stick radio. Just look at this photo during 2007 EC (A-main!?), it's 60/40 for stick radio!

So what are you radio (brand and model)? I would like a mid range stick radio, something reasonable in price with some setup like rate and will late a bit, not the high end like KO Propo Esprit 3 & Cie!

Cheers for any input!

Last edited by Arn0; 17-08-2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Broken english
Old 16-08-2007
Administrator

I'm a steerwheel man myself, but the vast majority in off road use sticks it seems. I think Sanwa do a good mid level stick transmitter - but also with a lot of people seemingly getting the new KO Universe transmitter, there should be plenty of the older KO stick trannys around for decent money???
Old 16-08-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

I believe there is a new 2.4ghz futaba stick set out (name escapes me at this hour) which is a very good mid range radio system with the added bonus (and security) of it being 2.4ghz
Old 16-08-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I run the KO universe its amazing the responsiveness of it is fernominal. The features that are included on it are sorta out of this world. If you are going to get a stick TX this is the one to get. It can be bought in 27 mgh and 40 mgh but you can also upgrade to 2.4ghz. The best bit is the custom tunes you can get it to play. lol but in all seriousness there are features on this transmitter that there are on no others and there not vrap things you will never use they are really usefull i like the lap timing system while your practasing you can see if you are going quicker.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 16-08-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

I got a Sanwa Gemini as my old acoms was only 27mhz and I wanted a 40mhz. they can be picked up for around £60 second hand with a few sets of crystals and are a good mid level radio. Theres the Super Exzes which isnt as common.
The others out there are the Futaba 3GR which is another mid level radio at around £100, theres the Futaba 3VC which is one of the high range radios and looks very smart. Theres the KO Vantage Esprit 2 and there are quite alot of them floating around, particularly with the new KO out.
Old 17-08-2007

Thanks for those inputs!

I forgot to mention I plan to re-enter RC in 1:12 scale pan car! That's why the mid-range radio, not good for a high-end one as I will probably only train and do some club race (just forget about nationals here!!). And stick because run one years back and afraid to smash the throttle in some circumstances.

The Sanwa and the Futaba you are talking about tc2k seems in a good range (did a bit of math between currencies). The Esprit 2, as far I could recall, is/was the radio gear! Search on ebay but no thing, shamely! The Esprit 3 will be as god or surely better than a Esprit 2 but, as said, no good driver (let remind how thumbs have to work to have clean run) to notice any difference.

Any other?
Old 17-08-2007
Mad Member

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4988

Old 17-08-2007
Mad Member

If you can stretch to £150, I can recommend the Futaba 3GR 2.4Ghz set. It has more than enough functions, with the convenience of Spektrum.
Old 17-08-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
If you can stretch to £150, I can recommend the Futaba 3GR 2.4Ghz set. It has more than enough functions, with the convenience of Spektrum.
Thats the one i was on about couldnt remember the name :P A few people at my local track have got them, look really smart and seem to work very well.
Old 17-08-2007

Im using the spektrum DX3, I’ve been very impressed with it and you don’t have to worry about crystals!
Old 17-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
Looks good Sleigh, thanks but there is to many stuff, I need Tx Rx and a pair of cristal (ok let say two)

I found the spektrum website, the DX3 is a pistol radio, no stick radio for surface RC!!

So sum up, on stick radio mid-range, there is the Futaba 3GR and the Sanwa Gemini. I just saw the sale of one Gemini by someone, but already sold! And some used high end gear like the Esprit 2 - which will be available if user get bord and want to move to the new Esprit III - or the 3VC as proposed by Sleigh!

Quite limited choice!!
Old 20-08-2007
Mad Member

I think you may have misunderstood.

If you get the Futaba 3GR radio gear, you dont need xtals. It works in the same way as spektrum. It is a stick transmitter, and I couldnt recommend this highly enough.
Old 20-08-2007

I find that with radios it's how they feel in your hands. I know the KO universe is a cracking bit of kit but i don't like how it feels compared to the espirt 2. As you live in Canada and they all use wheels it not easy to pop down to you local shop and have a good feel of the radios on offer. Another good radio is the Sanwa Super Exzes(i think it is baged as a airtronics over the pond).
Old 20-08-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I love the way my universe feels so comfy.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 20-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
I love the way my universe feels so comfy.

A
That's what i was getting at YOU love the way it feels.
Old 25-08-2007

I run the Sanwa Super Exzes and I have to say its the nicest bit of kit to hold and use. Its very well balanced and it sits nicely in the hands and the adjuastable angle of the sticks makes it really comfy.

Ive been running Sanwa radio gear for both racing and flying for years now and I cant recomend them enough.
X Factory X6
Old 25-08-2007

In the U.S. 99%+ use pistol, that is most likely why you can't find much stick in Canada.
Old 27-08-2007

Hi,

Sorry, I haven't seen the additional replies before!

Chris, I misunderstood and reread what you wrote! 2.4GHz is the Spektrum thing - can't remind the appropriate designation! But sure I understand that no crystal are needed!

Here and in the US, pistol radio rules! You got to the LHS and if you ask for a stick radio, the dealer will look at you like "hell, were this guy come from?" Some offered me to use airplane radio!!!!

I'll have to see what I can get but the choice will be made between 3GR, Esprit II, Super Exzes maybe Gemini, both sold as Airtonics. I guess the electronic bay will be a good friend or maybe I'll order in Europe!

Anyway, thanks for the inputs guys, very much appreciated

PS: Jimmy, you need to fix those issues regarding bandwith before travelling to Japan as a lot of people will come here to follow the event! Out of topics, my bad!
Old 01-09-2007

hey guys,
any recommendations for a 2 stick radio for use here in the states? Seems to be that the exzes plus, ko universe etc are very hard to get here. looking to use 2.4ghz. Thanks

Andrew
Old 20-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
hey guys,
any recommendations for a 2 stick radio for use here in the states? Seems to be that the exzes plus, ko universe etc are very hard to get here. looking to use 2.4ghz. Thanks

Andrew
There is one, Futaba 3VCS but I'm not sure if you can foot the bill though...