Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 13-05-2011

Default Brushless motor

Hi Here is a really strange question: Honestly i am not mad and always up for a challange just to try something a little different. Has anyone tried to use a series 600 heli brushless motor in their 1/8 electric buggy?? If you have let me know
They are way cheaper than branded motors and have built in cooling fans

Please let me know.
Old 14-05-2011

i am using a scorpion 1400kv heli outrunner, its rated at 1600W if i remember correctly. running on 6 cells though, only about the same size as a 540 can motor. it goes really well and it feels very powerful yet smooth to drive. faster accelleration than my caster engined car and about the same top speed, i do suspect i could gear it up though as it isnt getting too hot and the speedo is barely warm after 20 mins. ran it on local track for duration, cut out was 36 mins on 4500 6 cell lipo. have a look at some of the heli inrunners on giantcod, some interesting ones on there, was tempted to try one but the outrunner is plenty good enough for me
Old 15-05-2011

Default Outrunner

Thanks,
I have looked on the Giant Cod webb site great selection of motors. Do you know if you could run on a 4s set up with your motor? also i am not sure what an 1/8 buggy can pull in terms of amps. There seems to be a lot of inrunner and Outrunner motors rated at 70-80 amps with Kv around 1800 - 1900 which is loads for a buggy. Also last night found another site Astec Models who have loads of Motors at sensible prices!!!! none of these crazy BRANDED items

Thanks for the info. If you have a few photos please send a few keep in touch.
Old 15-05-2011

I was searching i while ago on ebay for motors and came across a turnigy 500 size heli motor. Thought what the hell £25 worth a try. 1800kv not bad at all. speed was good but was not to great in jumps. Only tested once in the buggy and need to play with afew setting and i think it would work rather well once set up right. Been running the truggy for a while now but that motor wont have enough punch. I think it's time to get buggy out again and give it a bash at setting it up right.
Old 15-05-2011

Default cells

Hi Thanks for the info i have been using the Mtronics P2 beast combo with an external Turnigy voltage regulator to help save the BEC circuit as recommended and it has been great especially when you bolt the speedo to the chassis as a heat sink really simple. In fact i have had to turn settings down. I reckon on grass a 1800 - 1900Kv motor would be more than enough and less hungry. I have been using the turnigy hard case cells 4500mah 14.8volt Lipos how cheap are they good run times and not warm at all. Who says you need expensive cells and equipment especially when most are just re labelled form the same factories. Anyway I am currently checking the Leopard inrunner brushless motors.

Keep in touch
Old 03-06-2011

Default New Motor

Hi to those who are interested. Just had my first runs with Heli motor 1600kv - 2350 watts. Align BL500mx 2 and it is simply excellent. It is a 6 pole motor with huge amounts of torque. Motor temps are now way down to 90 - 98 degrees f from originally running betwen 145 - 175 F with external fan. Gearing 13 / 44 on a tight track. The outrunner motor with fan is just far more efficient than the original in runner. speedo is also running much cooler. Greatest difference however is the weight only 197gms - typically 1/8 motors of this size weigh at least as a minimum 100gms more.
Next part of the project will be to re address the balance by moving centre diff and battery to provide a more neutral feel.
if you are interested in my madness just drop me a message i will update with run times etc shortly.
Old 03-06-2011

Looking good then, and at 2350 watts it should be bloody quick too. my outrunnner is only 1600 watts and that doesnt half move. are you running five cell at 1600kv?? i am using six at 1400kv. these outrunners really do have sh**t loads of torque, i think they are ideal for this sort of application
Old 04-06-2011

Default Brushless Outrunner

Hi I am currently running 4s with the motor I just ran it again this afternoon. Loads of torque really smooth. I have geared up again 1 tooth to 14 / 44 and I think it may even go to 15. The motor is so cool nothing like the standard motor for temps. I have been a bit of a Giunea pig for my friends who are all now going the same way.
New project home made chassis to get the weight down further keep in touch.

NC
Old 06-06-2011

i am geared 15/43 on 1400kv, 6 cell (approx 31000rpm), i started on a 13 and the car had no go at all, was a lot better on 14 but the jump up to 15 changed it totally, it became an animal in comparison, want to try sixteen but i havent got one and its more than fast enough for the local track when i get there. with 1600kv on four cell (calculated just over 23000 rpm) i think i would try going up to a 16 or more with your motor on four cell and then check your temps, i bet it will really shift then, make proper use of all that lovely torque for incredible acceleration, and probably more efficiency too
Old 06-06-2011

oops forgot to say 1600kv on a fourteen or fifteen would probably be good for a 5 cell pack looking at the rpm compared to mine
Old 07-06-2011

Default gearing

Thanks I will try a few more pinions this weekend and will be in touch, I have actually now had to turn the torque settings and start settings down with 14 tooth as the car wants to spin all four wheels on the grass!!