Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > JConcepts

Old 15-01-2008

Default "TOUGH STUFF" NOT SO TOUGH HERE

Hello all,Im having some issues with Bj4 we here.Our track here in Tennessee is a real rocky mess but this is all we got to race on.Im currently on my second chassis with this buggy and Im curious to know if anyone is creating undertrays for the worlds edition.I first used the original bj4 undertray and with some creativeness it fit.But with the corners gone on the undertray it created a gap for which small rocks and grit to find a way in and SCRUB my chassis up in no time at all. So then I tried the tough stuff and I even used two layers and it lasted a day before my chassis was scratched and chunked up.There are about 5 bj4 world cars at my track and this is happening to all of us.And to make matters worse here come these B44s with there stylin undertray paintjobs offering full protection and good looks as well and its nothing but a clone of my car and in my opinion the bj4 worlds is still twice the buggy.

It just seems frustrating to me that a 320.00 dollar b44 would come with an undertray, but my 500.00 dollar + buggy they wouldnt even have one available.And not to mention that this is a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BUGGY here and that means alot to me.Im not on a sponsored driver so chassis replacement is a big deal to me and I figured that a company like Jconcepts who specializes in lexan bodies wouldnt create one. Ive emailed them as well and havent gotten anywhere.Now Im trying a b44 undertray and it fits until you get to the rear of the car.And im not to crazy about the tateego body either.

Guys Im not trying to bring any negative vibes to this forum but I cant help it that my track is not a very smooth surface but we race on what we are dealt with.So if any of you know if there are some options out there for us weekend warriors we would sure appreciate any help you could give us. Thanks for listening ,Lee
Old 15-01-2008

Send a message via AIM to HVAC25000

You replace your chassis every time the bottom gets scratched? Seriously?

Well you could go to a vacuum forming place, or a plastic supply store, somewhere that carries the same stuff the bodies are made of (polycarbonate) and make your own undertray with a pair of heavy scissors and an exacto knife. .040" thickness would be good. It would last quite a while. .050" might be too thick to cut.

And when you put it on the car, use double sided tape, not the servo tape, but real double sided tape, the thin stuff, and do the entire bottom of the car and then stick the undertray to it, that way no dirt will ever get between it and the cassis.

Larsen's Biscuits
Old 15-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to Thomas P

My tip, use the org undertray, get the 3M protector sheet that jconcept are selling, cut to fit the corners..i have used mine for a hole rockı season, and that was no problem for me...

My blogg
Old 15-01-2008

Send a message via AIM to Andy Moore

99% of tracks here in the US dont call for the use of an undertray, which is why we havent produced one. You are right that we do specialize in lexan products, but it is still an expensive proposition creating anything new. We have had a few requests for a WE undertray, but not enough to justify the costs associated with it. Im not trying to be curt with my answer, Im just being straight.

If you guys are having trouble with your track, perhaps you would adjust the surface somehow to better suit the cars?

| Kyosho America | kyoshoamerica.com | Team Orion | teamorion.com |Winning Edge Designs | wedjim.com | Jab Graphix | jabgraphix.com |
Old 15-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

I've got the original undertray on and hardly ever get anything under it. Did you cut the front corners off?

All you need to do is trim down the sides on the rear corners, once its all screwed on its a pretty close and sealed fit. Our tracks in the UK are smooth astro but i've raced in seriously wet conditions and the insides of the car have been bone dry! only a little bit of crap collected under the tray by the open slats.
Old 15-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to grindog

would the b44 or the Hot Bodies fit?
Old 15-01-2008
LeeOtard

i would expect the B44 one to fit???
Old 15-01-2008

Hey guys I really appreciatte the help,I was always using servo tape instead of regular 2 sided tape and with the b44 undertray it seemed to work very good. There are alot of rough tracks down here so saying that 99% of the tracks dont require an undertray is a bit much.But I do thank you very much for the tips..