Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 14-07-2011

Default Tekin RS v RS Pro v Speed Passion GT2 Pro

What ESC would you recommend for a Durango 410 running 8.5 motor. The RS and Speed Passion are similar in price, and the SP comes with a programming card. But the Tekins are smaller, with space being restricted in the 410.
Would the RS be man enough? Is the RS Pro better than the Speed Passion?
Old 14-07-2011

If its going into a 4wd i would go with the RS Pro, small size and if you wanted to step the motor up to a 7.5 or 6.5 in the future you will be fine
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not a problem getting the speed passion speedo in fella what reciever are you using ? As you say the Tekin is smaller and would give you more room.
Old 14-07-2011

I'm going to use a Spektrum SR300 receiver. I thought of the SP GT2 as it's the same price as the RS, and comes with the handheld programmer. Just wondered if anyone can report if the SP2 will fit ok in the 410. Can you mount the receiver on its side if space is really tight?
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Badger5 (odd to see that name here as I associate it with a local VW tuner .. his cars are mental!).

When it comes to this choice it's easy ... neither of them!!!

Why buy the SP GT2.0Pro for around £160 when the HobbyWing V2.1 120A is around £90 (from the official UK importer) and the updated version of the same unit?

Follow the link in my sig mate and have a look! Even if you buy the LCD programming card / PC interface you will get change out of £110 all in and have access to some slightly more tunable firmwares too!

If on the other hand you feel the need to throw the extra £50 around for no reason please throw it in my direction
Old 14-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
I'm going to use a Spektrum SR300 receiver. I thought of the SP GT2 as it's the same price as the RS, and comes with the handheld programmer. Just wondered if anyone can report if the SP2 will fit ok in the 410. Can you mount the receiver on its side if space is really tight?
Jorn Neumann uses SP in his Durango cars...

Look at the Belgium GP report for pics of his install http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/belgiangp2011/
Old 14-07-2011

I've never heard of Hobbywing before, do many people use them? What's the service like? I've worked in China (and Asia in general) many times, and thus a bit cautious of this one. It may be cheap but does it go bang after three months? I understand that most stuff will be made in Asia, but with western QC. The service support doesn't tend to be Chinas strong point.
As for the VW tuner I'm more of two wheeled man myself.
Old 14-07-2011

I believe that Hobywing is just rebranded to Speed Passion. Many people use them (including me) on here and are becoming popular at many clubs due their cost and reliability. As with all electronics etc like this there will always be a few failures and bad feelings. For me i wouldnt buy anything else!
Old 14-07-2011

The more I dig the more confused I get. Do I take it that Speed Passion is just a re-badged Hobbywing, and possibly ORCA as well?
Old 14-07-2011
Mad Member

Hobbywing OEM for a number of people, Speed Passion is just one of them.
Old 14-07-2011
Mad Member

ORCA
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

HobbyWing MAKE the ESCs for a number of companys, Speed Passion and Orion being the main two these days.

I have run HobbyWing all year and it's not missed a beat, I've just ordered a couple more (one for the touring and one to have in the box for people to try).

Sometimes the best value comes at the less scary end of the price range. The performance is 2nd to none, the reliability and back up excellent and the cost low ... to me it's a no brainer (I'll even help you set it up to your liking)
Old 16-07-2011

You will not be disappointed with the hobby wing there a super ecs
Old 16-07-2011

Default re

+1 on the HW, nothing wrong with it at all.

but when it comes to supporting companies that sponsor racers and keep the hobby alive then thats up to you and how you feel about it.

If i had the money to spend i would buy the SP. Just to support them. Even though i know its the same.

On that note, i really like that TEKIN has a helpdesk on this forum....

whatever you choose im sure you will forget about the cost once you have giving it some WOT

TRF 502x
DF03 3racing conversion
DF03 KMRC conversion
http://l-m-racing.co.uk
http://www.modellbau-seidel.de
http://www.machheemstede.nl
Team TRF NL
Old 16-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMS View Post
but when it comes to supporting companies that sponsor racers and keep the hobby alive then thats up to you and how you feel about it.

If i had the money to spend i would buy the SP. Just to support them. Even though i know its the same.

HobbyWing support a lot of racers but are much more visible in touring and 1/12 than off-road, something I am working with Stuart At Racers In Exile to change. Racers in Exile are the official UK importer (link in my sig under HobbyWing) and are working hard to expand their market share as quickly as is possible, the main focus is on customer care though.

As far as supporting racers / meetings Racers In Exile will be co-sponsoring the "Rug-Racers" touring car winter series along with a few other significant touring car events. Stuart is looking for other events in the other classes to support too.

Out of the guys I regularly pit with 3/5ths run HobbyWing in their off-road cars ... another 1/5 or so are seriously thinking about it for the winter season equipment changes and those that are left are only staying with what they have as they already have deals and/or just lashed out the price of 3 HobbyWing ESCs on a Tekin and Hotwire

At the touring car club I go to (I know I know .. sorry) about 50% of the racers are running HobbyWing.

As far as forum support is concerned I am more than happy to help anybody that is having trouble with setups / firmware updates or even choosing the right model in the first place.

It's very rare in this day and age that the best product is also the cheapest so when it is the case we often look at it and dismiss it with a "what's the catch?" state of mind ... in this case the catch is that once you have bought one you will want one in all your cars!
Old 16-07-2011

just to add i own 2 1s HW esc and Stuart from RIE even pre soldered one of them for me. RIE support/service is EXCELLENT.

TRF 502x
DF03 3racing conversion
DF03 KMRC conversion
Team TRF NL
Old 16-07-2011

+1 HW

I run a Hobbywing 1S in 1/10th 4WD. No problems at all from me (other than the fan occasionally touching the bodyshell). I run it on a 5.5T Orion motor. As yet, the settings I am running are only half the maximum (unlike RogerM) but I find them ever so easy to change and the program box is only £20. So for £110 you can get an ESC and be able to program it however you like.
I have always found Stuart at RIE helpfull, so give him a ring if you have any queries. And as RogerM said, support is always available on here!
Old 18-07-2011

Hi,
On the RIE website it shows the 1 cell HW esc with no heatsink and fan...can you run it like this???
Old 18-07-2011

it comes with the heatsink and fan, the heatsink stick onto it, pity cause it covers up the text. but yes it does come with all the bits required.

TRF 502x
DF03 3racing conversion
DF03 KMRC conversion
Team TRF NL
Old 18-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have run it without the extra heatsink and fan with an 8.5 but would not chance more motor than that personally.

The case top surface is a heatsink in it's own right, it is done like that to give a low profile for 1/12th cars.

Adon30 runs one in his Lazer FS so perfectly ok in 4wd off road!