Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Default Nitro Block Vs Window masking

So I've finally managed to finish a shell, I'll post some pictures up at the weekend although I'm hugely disappointed how it's turned out

Anyway, that wasn't the point, while I was doing it it became apparent I'd put the mask on too thick, not a problem I can sort it next time. However once I'd finished it I used Aerosol Nitro block, however the windows were then really difficult to unmask.

From previous experience with using Liquid Mask and solvent based paint it doesn't like it if you put it on too thin but as already mentioned for this water based shell paint I think I'd put it on too thick ?

So how does everyone get around this ? Do you unmask everything and then remask the windows with tape or film ? Or do you put it on the windows thicker to start with ? Does everyone use Nitro Block in a can or is there something else you all use ? I know Faskolor do their own one and I'm guessing for this question that would be better however I've never tested it's durability and wonder how it would come out against fuel ?

My paintwork thread
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

sorry ian, can't help buddy. i just rock it as per mate. had a shell today with chrome window trims...sealed as normal...ripped the window masks straight off...
as you said previously, if in doubt score around any areas to be unmasked

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 21-09-2011

I usually score after applying backing and then remove window masks, I use plasticote clear to back mine, normally around 3 coats but not tested against fuel either...

Hope that helps
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

I scored around mine in the end as there was a lot of colour over them. I noticed when I took the first window off the proporties had changed, instead of pulling off and wanting to stretch the window mask just split and came off in numerous pieces. So I scored the rest which was much better although I still had to careful so didn't rip and then I spent ages removing ultra thin pieces of mask from around the window area

Anyway, sounds like I'm doing about similar to the rest of you so that's all good

Jon, you weren't clear on which backing you use ? If at all, do you bother to coat the back of shells on cars that will use fuel ? If not, have you had any problems ?

Thanks for all your replies guys. If there is anything else anyone else wants to add I'd be interested to hear it

My paintwork thread
Old 22-09-2011
Mad Member

i use plastikote 1138

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 22-09-2011
Mad Member

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

My paintwork thread
Old 23-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

The solvent in the nitro block changes the properties of the liquid mask, and makes it difficult and unpredictable to peel off.

As mentioned, always re-cut around the edges to give it a nice clean seperation. You can always pull the masks off first then spray the nitro block but it gives the windows a 'frosted' look.

be carefull with it though as it can attack the water based paints.

Also, don't use it on chrome....it kills the mirrored look to it.
Old 23-09-2011
Mad Member

Thanks for the heads up Terry. Especially on the chrome, I didn't know that, I thought it would be cool as they're both solvent based.

My paintwork thread