Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 03-10-2011

Default Airbrush with compressed air canisters

What are the problems with using the likes of these with an airbrush?
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...essure-bottle/

I'm about to paint my first shell and whilst it won't be complicated, I'm considering getting a budget airbrush set-up rather than using spray cans.

The biggest expense seems to be the compressor which is why I'm looking at these, but I wonder if they will work well, and how long they will last.

Not planning on doing loads of shells.
Old 03-10-2011
Super Moderator

Check out this place Richard
http://www.everythingairbrush.com/index.html
You should be able to get a good deal on something there look for something around or over 40psi & dont buy a aztec airbrush, i have 1 & it's bloody awful, 1 of their AS range brush's should cover it
Not used those cans before so can't really comment on them, check ebay also for some good deals
Old 03-10-2011

Hey,

I've used one recently that my brother got with a badger airbrush, I personally dont think there worth there money, you wouldn't get much use out of them for a start (probably finish a body or so) so unless your planning it as a one off I'd go for the compressor.

Secondly because its in a can there pressure wont be quite as consistent as using a compressor with regulator.

Like I said fine for a simple one off but not much more than that in my opinion. I seen a compressor advertised on here a few days ago that looked decent for the money so have a check back through the sale section.

good luck
Old 03-10-2011

If the air cans are only likely to last one shell, I think I'd rather use spray paint cans.

Another thought I've had, I have a 12v compressor for inflating car tyres, any chance that would be of use? Doubt it, but it's worth asking I guess.
Old 03-10-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer View Post
If the air cans are only likely to last one shell, I think I'd rather use spray paint cans.

Another thought I've had, I have a 12v compressor for inflating car tyres, any chance that would be of use? Doubt it, but it's worth asking I guess.
get an adapter and an old car tyre and wheel and blow it up and use the tyre as an air tank is the nearest you will get.
got a good enough compressor here for £30 is you can collect
Old 04-10-2011
Mad Member

Air bottles are a nightmare, they only have short air hoses too so you'll end up knocking it over at some point and then you'll get some sort of frozen effect in the hose and when it thaws it'll come out the brush messing up your paint.

Then you'll think, oh well I'll hold the can, until it freezes to your hand, when you get it unstuck from your skin you'll find the pressure has dropped so you'll have to stand it in a bucket of warm / hot water, you'll be pleased with yourself to have got this far, the water will cool, the pressure will drop further and you won't have finished the 2nd colour.

All this is from actual experience when I was about 12 (25 years ago) painting model tanks that were 35th scale. I can't imagine what it would be like needing higher pressure to do a bigger area...

Essentially I'd avoid using them at all costs. Save your money and buy a compressor or as Mark has suggested if it's only a simple design get Aerosol cans. Car tyres are okay but again pressure dropping will cause problems. Or, pay someone to do it, if you're only doing 1 or 2 a year it isn't worth paying out for the gear and for what you would someone would have painted it for less...

My paintwork thread
Old 04-10-2011

Looks like it's going to be Tamiya tins, at least for now.
Old 04-10-2011
Mad Member

Tamiya make some of the best paint and best cans I've used.

In Radio Race Car a few months back Terry did an article about paint a design just with Cans, maybe see if you can get hold of it and have a go at something like that.

My paintwork thread
Old 05-10-2011

I've done quite a few paint can bodies, in fact not been airbrushing that long really but I believe the results are worth it if you enjoy doing doing that sort of thing.

Here are a few simple body designs I did with spray cans, some masking tape and a bit of vinyl (all tamiya except chrome which is fastrax i think)

Last edited by U1timate PigDog; 05-10-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added text
Old 05-10-2011

The only problem with cans is that for 3 colours which would set you back around £17-£18 depending on which paint and where you buy it you might as well spend a little extra and get it painted for ya.

or thinking of it another way, its £18 towards a compressor.

Good look either way and let us know how you get on.
Old 23-10-2011

Default Bargain, I think

Picked up a Clarke Wiz compressor and 2 airbrushes from -bay for £50 from a guy just round the corner. One of the brushes is a Badger 175 Crescendo which seems to retail at over £100 and the compressor would have been around £75 new. It isn't clear what the other brush is. None of it looks like it has been used and has apparently only been used once.

Just need some paint and liquid mask now and I can start painting Coke bottles!
Old 23-10-2011
Mad Member

Excellent !

Welcome to the club

My paintwork thread