Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 24-10-2011

Default Ansmann Macnum /XT Diff Problems

Hi All,
I've been running my Ansmann XT Pro from almost a year now and I love running it as it's so damn quick. Problem is the balls in the diff just don't last more than a couple of runs before they disintegrate. I use it more for bashing than racing at my local park so I just need something that's going to last in there.

I've noticed a few people use RCLazy diff balls in there which I'm thinking of getting, if I can be guaranteed they're going to last longer. Otherwise, does anyone know of a good old fashioned gear based diff that'll fit in there instead of the ball diff. Like I say, it's just for bashing so it doesn't have to be state of the art at all!

The diff is also noisy... Squawks when you set off then quietens down. thought it was the slipper at first but there's no way it'd make that much racket. Is the diff too loose? And could that be making the balls fall to pieces?

Cheers

Justin
Old 24-10-2011

If your diff is squwacking then it's too lose. The Ansmann diff can be built in to a good, long lasting diff if you take some time and do it right. LazyBalls will definitely help, I wouldn't build a diff with out them. Good quility diff lube helps, as does spending some time prepping the diff rings with some wet and dry and a flat surface. The thrust washers are reconed to be a weak spot, but I build mine with plenty of blck grease and TBH I've not had a problem.

Build it up nice and snug, then spend some time breaking it in nice and gently, tightening it a bit at a time as it it all snuggs in and it should be good to go.
Old 24-10-2011
Mad Member

Yeah he could always use your diff building guide MrMagoo

http://mrmagoo-rc.blogspot.com/2011/...ball-diff.html

My suggestion for a bullet proof diff is Ceramic balls and Xray diff plates for the T2 T3 touring cars. Run them in properly and they will last for ages between re-builds.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 24-10-2011

Cheers for the advice. Have located some suitable balls. Will strip it down and fit them asap, tweaking it as I go this time. I think I've got some spare rings and a few other parts in my spares box, so will start with fresh components where possible
Old 24-10-2011
Mad Member

Only reason I suggested the Xray diff plates is that they seem to be a harder wearing than the ansmann ones. Ceramic balls really kick the crap out of the plates because they are a lot harder than the standard balls so the harder the plates the better.

B-fast diff kits work really well also I put one of those in my x-pro abotu a year ago and I have only re-built it twice in that time. Is a bit costly though.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 24-10-2011

Buy a Bfast kit, you will have a whole kit with diff rings, washers, balls and everything you need. 6 races and it last as new.