Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-11-2010

Default Gear ratio info --> Peak Racing Vantage 10x1 brushed motor

I've bought a Peak Racing Vantage 10x1 brushed motor and within the instructions it says to check on their website for suggested starting gear ratios. Alas it seems they are no longer in business as their website doesn't work www.peakmotors.com So was wondering if anyone had any info on these motors or could advise what size pinion to buy/use?

It's for a Tamiya TRF201, using kit spur gear, Nimh batteries, Off-road Astro track.

Cheers,
Old 05-11-2010
Mad Member

First of all... I would leave the motor in it's pack and try to sell it back on... it's far too fast for 2wd. Let alone the extra maintenance it will need compared to a brushless (or even a mild brushed).

If you are committed to the motor, you'll need a small pinion on there, the manual says 20T is the smallest that will fit on there, I would go with that, or even smaller.
Old 05-11-2010
Mad Member

Default brushed motor

as previous post correctly says use smallest pinion you got to start with then try a couple of short bursts of throtte. if it accelerate like a mad dingo and gets to top speed very quickly you may need a bigger pinion . its better to start low and gear up slowly than fry everything first!!
there is a lot of life in brushed gear yet and usually dirt cheap now. Agreed maintenance can be a chore after brushless gear but its not dead just yet
regards dave
Old 06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
First of all... I would leave the motor in it's pack and try to sell it back on... it's far too fast for 2wd.

Ooops

I currently run a 6.5t Losi sensored brushless system in my 4WD DB01R, so what turn brushed motor would you recommend I buy for the 2WD?

Old 06-11-2010
Mad Member

13t or milder. But you'll struggle to find those winds nowadays. Why not brushless?
Old 06-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
First of all... I would leave the motor in it's pack and try to sell it back on... it's far too fast for 2wd. .

When I was running brushed motors I would run an 8 turn in the B4. I've just put a 5.5 in my 201..................?????
Old 07-11-2010

Too fast, what a load of drivle. Anything slower and will have no chance on big tracks.

I run a checkpoint 10double in my TRF201 with 21tooth pinion.

As for brushless at least a 8.5 even a 7.5.

A peak vantage need very little maintenance if you know what you are doing, not even skimmed my checkpoint yet with silver brushes.

Thats the whole point of choosing a vantage or checkpoint!

Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

www.huntersystems.co.uk
Old 08-11-2010

Cheers guys for your replies.

As the views seem to be split, I thought I may as well give the 10x1t motor a try so have ordered a 20t pinion.

Hope it won't be too mental

Ta,