Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 28-11-2010

Exclamation DB01 Exploded diff

Hi guys,
I've had a bit of a problem with my DB01, I'm a noobie and was running the car on wet astro turf (artificial football pitch) and the diffs blew up.

I've been running my DB01 with a 10T brushless motor (yeah racing) with lipo and slipper clutch. I'm running the stock gearing with the 23T pinion gear which was included in the kit.

Please help, what have I done wrong, is the gearing too low? Also can you advise which replacement parts would be best, is there a stronger diff hop-up or maybe some trf502 parts that are better?

thanks in advance

Miguel
Old 28-11-2010

Hi Miguel, sounds as if your diffs were set too soft so they slipped, got hot and melted. Did they melt? It also could be either that your diffs are too soft or your Slipper is too hard or both.
Good parts for replacing when making the diffs better are the diff halves to TRF501X ones which are 51286.
Other parts on the Db01 diffs are fine, no need to replace them.
I don´t think it has something to do with the 23t pinion as a wrong pinion would only result in higher motor and/oresc temperature but should have no effect to the diffs. Hope this helps.
Old 29-11-2010

thanks mate, I think they melted.

so basically I need to tighten the diffs more (I did make sure they could not be turned by hand as in the instructions but anyway...) and make sure the slipper is not over-tightened.

I had a look on rcmart.com for the upgraded diff halves (3racing or trf) but they were sold out so I just got the stronger diffs and ceramic balls.

M