Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 23-02-2011

Default So many Tamiya wing options for a DB01R

At present I use the standard wing which comes with a Baldre body shell, but know Tamiya produce a lot of wing options to fit the DB01 chassis so was wondering what affect each has on the handling.

- Item no. 53984 Buggy Racing Wing (believe this is the same as the Baldre wing)

- Item no. 54134 Buggy Racing Wing set (lowered mounting)

- Item no. 54211 TRF201 Wing set (which includes a rounded-wide wing and straight-narrow type wing)

Also the vertical upright part of the wings can be cut, so how do you determine how much to remove. I.e. how do you isolate a problem with the cars handling to just the wing?

Old 23-02-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

makes only a small difference no matter what wing you run main effect is when the car is jumping
Old 23-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
At present I use the standard wing which comes with a Baldre body shell, but know Tamiya produce a lot of wing options to fit the DB01 chassis so was wondering what affect each has on the handling.

- Item no. 53984 Buggy Racing Wing (believe this is the same as the Baldre wing)

- Item no. 54211 TRF201 Wing set (which includes a rounded-wide wing and straight-narrow type wing)

Also the vertical upright part of the wings can be cut, so how do you determine how much to remove. I.e. how do you isolate a problem with the cars handling to just the wing?

Wings produce downforce only in higher speeds, so if you want to make your car more stable (less steering!) in high speeds you use a wing with more lip or wider etc
If your car is understeering in high speed you can cut some of the wing lip to fix this without hurting the low speed balance.

I use the lower mounting on my 4WD and the 201 wings on...eeer my 201!
The lower mounting can hit the tyre when cornering or landing a jump (full compression) and scrub speed on the 2wd...

Hope that helps!
Old 23-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post

I found that the lower mounted wing is a lot more durable then the standard one. This is my preferred choice atm.
However, for next season i've mounted one of the 2 from the 201 wing set (i believe the narrow one but not sure) to see how that holds up.
Old 24-02-2011

Have always wondered why there are so few threads about wings and now I know why. There isn't some kind of unfathonable aerodynamic science to learn which can make your car 2 seconds faster, it's all quite simple.

Cheers for you replies chaps.