Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 16-03-2011

Default losi carpet chassis

I have been working with turbosimi (he is working on all the cad files) on my lastest project of making a more carpet ideal chassis for my xxx-cr. Here's what it currantly is looking like

Its going to be 1/2" thick. I'm thinking of doing the bottom 3/8" out of UHMW, a pretty strong plastic, then the top 1/8" out of aluminum so it will be stronger and keep costs down, and will lok pretty pimp having the bottom black and the top polished aluminum. It will use the stock front bulkheads and will have spacers on the front 2 holes to attach the top of the bulkhead to the chassis, and on the back, there will be a C shaped peice on standoffs from the t-plate holes to mount the front of the rear shock tower to. Let me know what you guys think, this will be the first of this type at our local race scene, no one thinks out of the box nearly as much as you guys do, they thought I was crazy doing a home made MM conversion on my losi, until I was a lap faster
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

looking good Id try one
Old 17-03-2011

the latest pic

Old 17-03-2011

Very nice
Old 17-03-2011

Is there any interest if I where to sell these as a complete chassis? its alot cheap to do multiple (less the 33% of the cost if I did one) I can do a complete conversion (with al the spacers, fasteners and the rear brace for the rear shock tower) for about 100 pounds or $150 canadian if there is enough interest.
Old 18-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

nice buts thats nearly what a 22 costs and Id look at getting one of those for that price.
Old 18-03-2011

Can appreciate the effort, but just look at what you get with the Vega conversions, complete with one of the best gearbox's ever produced
Old 18-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Don't really see the point of this at all.
Was the xxx-cr chassis ever a problem on carpet? Not when I ran it.
Old 18-03-2011

Default conversion

Hello

I cannot say anything about the losi xxx cr because i just ran it a few times outdoors!
Rc junky wished a conversion with such a layout and i disigned it for him.
I think rc junky knows why he wants such a layout-he is a good driver!

@rc junky i also think that we should test the conversion first and then speak about selling the conversion and price...

Thanks
Old 18-03-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

I like it! It's great to be different! Top work

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 18-03-2011

Thanks!

In the next few days I will edit it a bit and then we make the first conversion
Old 18-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

What is the conversion? Without having a xxx-cr around anymore I can't remember anymore. Is this a mid motor conversion, or just a different, original layout chassis?
Old 18-03-2011

Default conversion

It´s a different original layout chassis.
Old 18-03-2011

It still going to be a rear motor car, but with saddles and its narrow. Once the first proto is done, I'll be thoroughly testing it, mostly for durability and final battery placement before it will be sold. The biggest thing that might up the price is if it needs more aluminum/less UHMW, solide aluminum would be costly, but if there is enough demand I can go to a bigger company to get them made, the smaller company that will be making the first couple only have a cute little cnc so aluminum takes a while to mill, but a bigger cnc could to it much quicker, but with a much heaftier cost for the set up.

Just a bit of a story behin why I'm going to get one (or a couple) made is to mostly try something differant again, I've ran it rear motor, then a homebrew mid motor, then a PSI LMX mid motor conversion, all on dirt, then the LMX and back to the rear motor on carpet. I've also done alot of other home brew mods, some work, others not so much, so I'm known for being a hack (making stuff that is, not on the track) so I'm the go to guy to fix stuff at the track without the proper parts (like a 2" long screw to hold a wing on) so I thought it would be cool to make somthing thats contradictoory to what I usually do, don't worry, I though about making it out of maple (yes, hardwood), but I think this will look totally pimp, polish the aluminum with the black plastic. I'll post pics in the futur when its done, meanwhile I'm waiting for cad files
Old 19-03-2011

Before you mill the prototype, you should eliminate all the useless material-clusters. You don`t need such a stiff front- and rear-end when the middle part is so "thin" constructed. Thats only useless weight.

Also think about the battery bar. It`s very thick (why??) and there is a lot of material around the middle. The middle itself is very thin, so the whole part is also heavy but not very stiff.

And if I may give you a tip: Don`t think about selling such concept cars. You won`t make much money (hey, the design is nice for the first try, but thats all) and if there are any problems with the stability for example, you have to listen to a lot of blubbering.

Greetings
Stephan
Old 19-03-2011

I decided to use the 2 material as I figured the front 'forks' would be a major stress point and break, it was mostly to beef up that area without going to solide aluminum and it will be much cheaper to machine. I still haven't decided what to do for a battery sprape, thats just something turbosimi drew up, I know it doesn't have to be 1/8 aluminum for sure, it will be thinner, but I just might make 2 straps that go strait across.