Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 14-05-2011

Default No Response From Brushless Motor

Decided to change my motor from brushed to brushless in my M05 yesterday and I am now wishing I had'nt! I'm running out of ideas so if anyone can offer some advice it would be much appreciated.

I put a 13.5 Speed Passion sportsman and hooked it up to my hobbywing xtreme stock esc and when I turn everything on all I get is a constant tone from the motor and no response when I try to excellerate although the red light comes on the speedo however it does not seem to pick up the end point of the acceleration as it does not show a green light. I have checked that the motor is ok by hooking up a robitronic brushless to it and that works fine, so I have updated the firmware on the xtreme stock to make sure that is ok and I have no problems plugging in the program box and changing the settings. the steering works fine. I am guessing the speedo has died. I am hoping I have missed something simple, any ideas?
Old 14-05-2011
Mad Member

have you reset your end points with it been a new motor?
Old 14-05-2011

Yes I have reset the end points and get the expected light flashing response from the speedo. When the speedo is on at neutral no light displays as expected and then a red light comes on when I move the throttle stick forward or backward but I should get a green light when the throttle hits the end point of forward and backward but this does not happen?
Old 14-05-2011
Mad Member

You can try reversing the throttle on your tranny then try setting it again

Clown
Old 14-05-2011

Thanks for the suggestion.

Given that a go, still the same.
Old 14-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Have you tried the motor unbolted from the car? Reason I ask is somebody from my old club ran a brushless motor in an M03 chassis on the standard mount with the standard screws and the screws hit the fan inside the motor and jamed it solid!

Can you turn the motor over with the wheels of the car?

The other thing to try is the sensor lead, if it's that spinning the wheels should allow it to start (most of the time) but it won't be able to start from fully stopped on it's own.

I hav eused Speed Passion motors with HobbyWing ESCs so no underlying problems there.
Old 14-05-2011

I can turn the motor over when I move the wheels of the car although the transmission sounds awful when the actually motor runs I have stripped down the transmissions twice and rebuilt the gear diff but can't get rid of the noise?

If I turn the wheels when it is on it does work! but only until I stop then I have to turn the wheels again to get it going. So I changed the sensor lead but still have the same problem, plus the original sensor lead works on another motor?
Old 14-05-2011
Mad Member

fill your diff with silicone grease i mean to the brim!that will help with handling too sorry cant help with the esc though
Old 14-05-2011
Mad Member

If it needs a push to get going that can be a phase thats either not working or not connected properly.

Clown
Old 14-05-2011

When you say 'Phase' I assume this is one of the wires into the speedo that are soldered onto the posts as the motor works ok with a different speedo?
Old 14-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes, one of the 3 wires.

Thenose could be the motor screws touching the rotor / fan inside the motor as I suggested earlier.

If you re run the motor out of the car does it do the same thing? With the motor removed from the car is the gearbox quieter when spinning the wheels?

Have you go the motor screws mounted in the correct sets of holes for the size of pinion your using (easy mistake to make on the M0 chassis)
Old 14-05-2011

When I take the motor out I still need to turn the pinion to get it started and as before once I stop it needs help again to start.

When I spin the wheels without the motor there is a rattle noise from the transmission as though one of the gears has some play and is moving around, I will strip it down and rebuild again.
Old 14-05-2011
Mad Member

it may not be the answer to your problem but i had the same kind of issues with a motor that i only raced once,

if i pulled on the pinion it worked for a bit and after stopping it wouldnt start again,

it cost me 30 uk pounds and is an ultrafly uf-mtr-g3448, kv=4800

the place i purchased it from didnt seem interested in helping even though it had only been used for one 5 minute race the day after i purchased it, so i stripped it apart and the resin that holds the coiled wire in place had melted and stuck to my com, stopping the motor from turning,

i had to use a dremel to remove all of the resin that was on the com, and all was ok again for a while but i later had to put a couple of washers in the com end of the motor to compensate for having to pull on the pinion, i truthfully gave up on my motor and got another,

although you say your motor works ok on another system the symptoms sound the same..
Old 14-05-2011

i know one boy who had a similar issue to this and it was a dodgy sensor lead causing it
Old 15-05-2011

I have stripped down the motor and checked that there is nothing making it stick and it looks ok. I will try another sensor lead see if that works as I need another long one anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.