Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 31-12-2011
Mad Member

Default HD ball cups are poo.

Been racing tonight. And have to say the hd ball cups on my V3 are terrible. The track rod arm came off in every qualifier and I broke the shock rod end hitting a car going the wrong way round the track. Thats fair enough but as far as I know I have to buy a complete ball cup set to get the shock shaft fastener (the little loop that screws to the wishbone). I'm going to buy losi superdutys ball cups and HPI studs tomorrow but I'm pretty annoyed at haing to but ball cups I dont need just to get a shock shaft fastener, Any Ideas on an alternative solution. Everyone that I know is now running different ball cups, even the team guys. Advice please.

Many thanks Kristian
Old 31-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Been racing tonight. And have to say the hd ball cups on my V3 are terrible. The track rod arm came off in every qualifier and I broke the shock rod end hitting a car going the wrong way round the track. Thats fair enough but as far as I know I have to buy a complete ball cup set to get the shock shaft fastener (the little loop that screws to the wishbone). I'm going to buy losi superdutys ball cups and HPI studs tomorrow but I'm pretty annoyed at haing to but ball cups I dont need just to get a shock shaft fastener, Any Ideas on an alternative solution. Everyone that I know is now running different ball cups, even the team guys. Advice please.

Many thanks Kristian
Hey Kristian, I boiled my ballcups in water while building my car, and have had only one pop in a head on crash after 30 or so runs. Try it out, may be the answer to your issues. Brought the water to a boil, and dropped them in for 3 minutes..
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...Cup/index.html
Old 31-12-2011
Mad Member

I've heard the problem of the ball cups many times. And though, annoying as it is, I think that if it's the biggest problem on the car, then what a car!

With that said, that doesn't solve the problem I'm a pretty inexperienced driver and as such I really thrasher around my TRF201 on the trackday I had back in October. My poor little chassis was being pushed around a lot by the bigger SC trucks, and despite that and my lack of driving skill, only one ball cup popped off (tie-rod, inside front, on the right side I recall).

The other time a turnbuckle went on the loose that day was when the ball connector itself broke

So what I'm saying is... Perhaps the TRF adjusters are worth a try? As for the shock shaft fasteners, if you buy the X-parts tree for the TRF dampers then you get 4 of those, some ball joints for the upper and lower mounts and 4 spring retainers. Ok, the spring retainers might be a little useless to you (especially with the big bore shocks you have) but the rest could be pretty useful parts?
Old 31-12-2011

Losi cups fit but are a bit tight on the standard balls so most people use hpi balls with them ( from cyclone tc an hb d4)
Old 31-12-2011

I used losi cups and Schumacher balls, and my driving skills are awful and I haven't had any pop off since,

I tried to get some hpi balls, but no one I tried had them in stock, not even hpi uk,
Old 31-12-2011
Mad Member

Schumacher balls and cups on both my 410 and Dex210 in picture

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Apart from popping off one during an almighty flat out Mark Webber style airbourne crash into a race control building that would've killed any other car, I've had no problems with the HD cups at all.
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Had a few pop off mainly on the steering but would rather have that than do the servo in!
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
I've heard the problem of the ball cups many times. And though, annoying as it is, I think that if it's the biggest problem on the car, then what a car!
I completely agree but I just need to fix this, and I think the car will be bullet proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchris View Post
Had a few pop off mainly on the steering but would rather have that than do the servo in!
Yes chris it was on my steeing every time but it wasn't in heavy contacts it was gentle knocks.

Hpi or Schumacher it is.
Old 01-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

iv got the std ones,i always put greese on the camber link,they still pop off when adjusting......

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 01-01-2012

i use the ae ballstuds one pack of 6 long neck and one pack of 6 short neck and rpm long shank ball cups they work a treat mine poped of all the time and cudnt adjust or it popped of now they neva pop of and i can adjust the camber etc
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by av4625 View Post
i use the ae ballstuds one pack of 6 long neck and one pack of 6 short neck and rpm long shank ball cups they work a treat mine poped of all the time and cudnt adjust or it popped of now they neva pop of and i can adjust the camber etc
Do you not need imperial nuts for them?
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Unfortunately, once they pop off, they will keep popping off.
Someone mentioned it on another thread, so i measured some popped cups, they were distinctly oval........ The boiling (or at least gentle heating) should make them a bit more flexible for the first fit, and a bit tighter once they cool down. I'll be doing this next time i get round to fitting new cups. But my HDs are lasting well anyway!
Old 01-01-2012

Quote:
Do you not need imperial nuts for them?
i just used the nuts that came with the kit!
Old 01-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Apart from popping off one during an almighty flat out Mark Webber style airbourne crash into a race control building that would've killed any other car, I've had no problems with the HD cups at all.
I've been running them on both cars for months and I can't even remember popping one off...

a very good product in my eyes
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
iv got the std ones,i always put greese on the camber link,they still pop off when adjusting......

I had the same problem then built them like this not had a problem since with adjusting them have had one pop off though in a race

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...e-build-guide/

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 09-01-2012
Mad Member

I have bought the Losi extra ridged which are 4.3mm and I've got the 4.3mm Hpi D4 cyclone ball studs but they a a little stiff. Running a lil grease and a good wobble before fitting hope thy loosen up.
Old 10-01-2012

Quote:
I have bought the Losi extra ridged which are 4.3mm and I've got the 4.3mm Hpi D4 cyclone ball studs but they a a little stiff. Running a lil grease and a good wobble before fitting hope thy loosen up.
ive got some losi hd (there white)

what are the cheapest balls that fit?
Old 10-01-2012
Mad Member

The HPI D4 Cyclone ball studs come in packs of 8 and are quite reasonable, they need a little grease and a good wobbling round to free them up. I'm going to see how they go at petit.
Old 15-01-2012

First run with my V3 today. It took just 4 laps of practice before popping my first ball joint and it happened again in the first leg of my Final. What are the part numbers for HPI studs and Losi ends please?

Thanks,
Jon.