Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 18-04-2012
Mad Member

Hi all,

Having run both RC championships and Full size racing championships I can give you the benefit of my experience and suggest that you keep things simple. Simple works really well...

Somebody suggested in a former post that a football style relegation system could be used and I think this is a good idea. Perhaps the last 20 places in the main BRCA "A" F1/F2 championship could be assigned to the top 20 drivers from the "B" Championship from the year before.....

Some barriers to entry to the "B" Championship will have to be thought of to protect the regionals. Maybe you would have to have competed in the regionals in year 1 to get entry to the "B" Championship in year 2, to hopefully finish in the top 20 and get into the "A" Championship in year 3 ??

Just a few thoughts......
Old 18-04-2012

Just a quick question, why another National Championship??

For many years now the regionals have been the stepping stone for racers wishing to move to national level racing and the have worked effectively within the section.

While a championship would be welcomed by many (me included) it could be one like the previous mentioned RRCI series aimed at the lower F graded drivers.

This would be great for the hobby and would not interfere with regional entries and F grading; if as mentioned ran on the same dates as the BRCA national championship.
Old 18-04-2012
Mad Member

There still seems to be comments coming through with concerns that a National 'B' championship will damage Regional attendances... You would still have to race at Regionals to earn an 'F' grading to enter as current Nationals work, so if anything it will encourage Regional attendances...

At present if you compete at Regionals and are F3/4/5 level then you can go no further due to Nationals being full of drivers with better skills.

Rules etc would all have to be in line with Current Nationals or there is no consistency with the championships.

How many lower ranked racers don't even try and enter Nationals anymore because of being rejected previously?

The only real way of knowing if this will work and be popular is to set it up and try it
Old 18-04-2012
Administrator

Ignoring any relation to the existing BRCA national series I think would be the way to go. There are people who want to do nationals and can't get in - and there are people who want to race in a slightly more relaxed and welcoming environment where having a spot of fun is as much a part of it as the competition on the track.
You might well get some quality drivers wanting to come and race at the sharp end - but I don't think another national series would tempt a single big sponsored driver away from the BRCA series.

I've raced F345 finals or regionals or even club meetings where there's been a great atmosphere, it's relaxed etc - but the actual racing was great.

Trophies, junior class, prizes from sponsors, numbers that stick on cars and look good, concours competition, marshall of the day, etc etc.. Above all I think it should be fun.

I never got to race the RRCI series myself - but I've heard good things.
Old 18-04-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

jimmy do it, they will come
Old 18-04-2012
Banned

i agree with jimmy its got to be fun,
years ago i used to do regionals and south of watford meetings,
all these meetings allthough had kevin moore etc....were very much fun events,
i really enjoy my regionals and nationals,
but i would love another sort off race meeting for fun,
as know regoinals you have to do to get your f licence has taken some off the fun away,
so deffinately just what jimmy said

trekkker
Old 18-04-2012
Mad Member

I have read most posts and the proposed new series sounds really good. Im an F3 at present, I was at the national at the weekend just gone and the standard was a very very high. I really enjoyed the weekend apart from my own results watching the top drivers etc. Im convinced that an F4 or F5(apart from somebody like elliott boots) wouldnt enjoy driving at the nationals anyway until they are good enough to be competative.
1 mistake and that was almost enough to drop you into the bottom finals.
The proposed series(along with Regionals) would allow lesser F grade drivers the chance to be competative and challenge for the top spots in the new series. This would make the step up to nationals not as severe for the top F3/4/5 drivers. It needs to be on the same day/weekend as the nationals as then regionals wouldnt be at all affected apart from meaning that you are racing 2 weekends out of a month!
Go Jimmi and oOple crew....thats what i think!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 18-04-2012

i wud be defo up for it
Old 18-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
roger point 1 kind of contradicts it self, dont allow em or thier mates wont come, hold it on the same weekend, so they will go with thier mates anyhow?
What I was meaning was that if you exclude an F1/F2 driver that doesn't want to do nationals but would rather spend time racing with his F3/F4/F5 budies then none of them might show up to your event. For example I drive my friend Adam U around the country for race meetings, I am faster than he is on basic pace so if I was excluded he would probably chose not to get in his car and burn the fuel alone. (And before somebody says anything I know I'm not doing nationals this year and am having to work hard to get hold of an F2 via the 100 strong west mids regionals ... just treat it as an example).

If you discourage the F1/F2 driver (by adding a performance penalty, putting it on a national weekend etc.) and he still choses to race then in your series with his mates then why not let him? Just make sure he doesn't get it all his own way!

Quote:
if you dont want a motor, why a tyre? if i travel all over the uk to do such a serries, id prefere to use what i have and not buy a set tyre for each round, unless you mean say shumacher yellow and balistic green as a control tyre at all venues, then i would agree
Because we buy new tires most events but buy 1 motor a year (some people get years out of a brushless unit). If I had to use TIRE A at a cost of £8 to compete I'd not be put off, if I had to use MOTOR A at a cost of £50+ I'd never enter. I think a lot of people are the same.
The other thing with a motor rule is that a lot of F3/F4/F5 drivers still have some assistance from shops / distributors and thus might not be able to get MOTOR A and / or upset their supporters by using it.
Then add in to the mix the fact that some of the faster drivers might be able to drive a 7.5 around blindfolded but Little Jonny might struggle to get around with a 13.5.

I loved stock racing in years gone by, would be well up for a 13.5 or 10.5 championship personally but I know a lot of people who aren't interested in bolting in anything slower than say a 5.5.
Maybe include a limited motor class (say 10.5???) as a sub championship, that way everybody is still racing together but those that felt happier running mild motors had their own title to chase rather than getting pushed down the order by those that can hang out with a 4.5. Now if somebody from the "limited" class was making overall A finals then good on them (... and I bet they would have people offering them assistance fairly quickly).
Might be worth excluding the F1/F2 guys from the "limited" class though, nobody like being beaten by pot hunters

I did state any control tire should be a "commonly used" tire so people could "use up what they had left from other meetings". Soon as you force people to use something they aren't familiar with and will never use again many will be put off. Schumy / BB minis are well used and understood tires ... I bet everybody reading this has got a set glued up waiting to go! The thing is they have no reason to sponsor / assist a series such as this so it might be better to offer an alternative tire IN ADDITION to attract their assistance. You have to be careful to find teh right balance though.

Quote:
but bear in mind a control tyre needs policing and the idea was for this to be fun/relaxed
RRCi used to have scrutineering, I remember my Pred being under weight and there was always "discussion" about legality of stock motors if one brand proved dominant. I think that a few sensible rules encourage a fun atmosphere as they rememove the "how do I beat Jonny as he has that special motor" and / or "they are cheating as that isn't in the spirit of the event". We've all seen that.
As for the number of tires allowed it is as simple as marking the sidewall / wheel joint with some nail varnish ... maybe allow 1 set of brand new or 2 sets of warn, have a different colour for each and move along each meeting (so last meetings new becomes the next meetings used).

As I've said before there is no way to please everybody so the best solution is a few sensible souls get together, thrash out 2 or 3 proposals for formats/rules and put them up for vote on this forum. Make up the overall rule set based on the most popular non contridicting ones.
Old 18-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
There still seems to be comments coming through with concerns that a National 'B' championship will damage Regional attendances... You would still have to race at Regionals to earn an 'F' grading to enter as current Nationals work, so if anything it will encourage Regional attendances...
You don't need to do a regional to be an F5, everyone is automatically an F5. So you may see F5 drivers drop out and do this new series. Or club racers may miss the step to regionals and go straight for a national series.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 18-04-2012

I think it is a great idea for an oOple series to be ran on the same weekend as the BRCA National series although that would mean no more cracking National reports from Jimmy & Vicky! Also as mentioned in an earlier post, quite a few of the people who run the clubs with the tracks people would want this series to run at will be away competing at the nationals so this could be a problem!

As for people worrying it may also be over subscribed unless F1's & F2's are excluded I dont think this would be the case as we were told at the weekend there were a total of 169 drivers who submitted an entry for the national series so thats only 49 people who didn't make it! Most of them being F345's but I bet there are lots of F2 drivers who for whatever reason don't want to enter the full on National series but would fancy a more relaxed weekend at an oOple event!

KF
SV2
SVR
www.racing-cars.com
Old 18-04-2012

I'm up for it, just need the entry form. This year I am the top F4 in the mid south region, I haven't managed to get into any national events (im 4th reserve for EPR, the rest around 10-17).

I would definately look forward to it, because even if I do have a strong year and become a F3 again, I can't see myself getting into any nationals next year either.

I might be speaking out of turn, but I would think Silverstone MCC would be interested if this happens (no doubt Chuckiestella will confirm).
Old 18-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifta View Post
I think it is a great idea for an oOple series to be ran on the same weekend as the BRCA National series although that would mean no more cracking National reports from Jimmy & Vicky! Also as mentioned in an earlier post, quite a few of the people who run the clubs with the tracks people would want this series to run at will be away competing at the nationals so this could be a problem!

As for people worrying it may also be over subscribed unless F1's & F2's are excluded I dont think this would be the case as we were told at the weekend there were a total of 169 drivers who submitted an entry for the national series so thats only 49 people who didn't make it! Most of them being F345's but I bet there are lots of F2 drivers who for whatever reason don't want to enter the full on National series but would fancy a more relaxed weekend at an oOple event!

or thats only 49 who thought they may have a chance, there may be 150 who knew thay did not stand a chance and never bothered!
Old 18-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
What I was meaning was that if you exclude an F1/F2 driver that doesn't want to do nationals but would rather spend time racing with his F3/F4/F5 budies then none of them might show up to your event. For example I drive my friend Adam U around the country for race meetings, I am faster than he is on basic pace so if I was excluded he would probably chose not to get in his car and burn the fuel alone. (And before somebody says anything I know I'm not doing nationals this year and am having to work hard to get hold of an F2 via the 100 strong west mids regionals ... just treat it as an example).

If you discourage the F1/F2 driver (by adding a performance penalty, putting it on a national weekend etc.) and he still choses to race then in your series with his mates then why not let him? Just make sure he doesn't get it all his own way!

Because we buy new tires most events but buy 1 motor a year (some people get years out of a brushless unit). If I had to use TIRE A at a cost of £8 to compete I'd not be put off, if I had to use MOTOR A at a cost of £50+ I'd never enter. I think a lot of people are the same.
The other thing with a motor rule is that a lot of F3/F4/F5 drivers still have some assistance from shops / distributors and thus might not be able to get MOTOR A and / or upset their supporters by using it.
Then add in to the mix the fact that some of the faster drivers might be able to drive a 7.5 around blindfolded but Little Jonny might struggle to get around with a 13.5.

I loved stock racing in years gone by, would be well up for a 13.5 or 10.5 championship personally but I know a lot of people who aren't interested in bolting in anything slower than say a 5.5.
Maybe include a limited motor class (say 10.5???) as a sub championship, that way everybody is still racing together but those that felt happier running mild motors had their own title to chase rather than getting pushed down the order by those that can hang out with a 4.5. Now if somebody from the "limited" class was making overall A finals then good on them (... and I bet they would have people offering them assistance fairly quickly).
Might be worth excluding the F1/F2 guys from the "limited" class though, nobody like being beaten by pot hunters

I did state any control tire should be a "commonly used" tire so people could "use up what they had left from other meetings". Soon as you force people to use something they aren't familiar with and will never use again many will be put off. Schumy / BB minis are well used and understood tires ... I bet everybody reading this has got a set glued up waiting to go! The thing is they have no reason to sponsor / assist a series such as this so it might be better to offer an alternative tire IN ADDITION to attract their assistance. You have to be careful to find teh right balance though.

RRCi used to have scrutineering, I remember my Pred being under weight and there was always "discussion" about legality of stock motors if one brand proved dominant. I think that a few sensible rules encourage a fun atmosphere as they rememove the "how do I beat Jonny as he has that special motor" and / or "they are cheating as that isn't in the spirit of the event". We've all seen that.
As for the number of tires allowed it is as simple as marking the sidewall / wheel joint with some nail varnish ... maybe allow 1 set of brand new or 2 sets of warn, have a different colour for each and move along each meeting (so last meetings new becomes the next meetings used).

As I've said before there is no way to please everybody so the best solution is a few sensible souls get together, thrash out 2 or 3 proposals for formats/rules and put them up for vote on this forum. Make up the overall rule set based on the most popular non contridicting ones.
all well and good but such as robin hood dirt, they specify the tyre.
to me im happy either way, but i dont think it needs to be too comlicated, regionals run open tyre and motor and they work ok
Old 18-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Your region runs open motor & any tire? Interesting, in the Mid West we run to the BRCA lists and nominated control tires and have done for as long as I can remember!
I thought most regions were similar!
Old 18-04-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Mid south is open choice...
Old 18-04-2012

Wales is open choice too
Old 18-04-2012

I think this is a great idea please KEEP IT SIMPLE..

one thing i would like to add !! could one of the events be held at a big public arena ?

We used to race at wollaton park when they had a carnival or something on it used to be a proper crowd puller!! ,

( We still need to promote our sport to as many as possible), and what better way then,showing off to the public !! and by keeping it simple and fun, this could help get new fresh blood coming through, which we all know we need !!!
Old 18-04-2012

Just a couple of thoughts,

I would enter a series that

1. Was 1 day only (sundays) as i work most saturdays
2. Didn't involve me travelling 'up north', (petrol cost and i have to work again monday)

This year I probably won't be attending the F3's as the fun element of the first one i attended at Tiverton however many years ago that was, as the atmosphere at these meetings has become a bit uptight for me. Some people seem too bothered about winning to enjoy the day.

I will go to as many regionals as i can, and with no clubs local to me thats all the racing i get, so another series would be welcome.

X4TE
X2C
Old 18-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Wow, didn't realise so many regions hadn't picked up the control tire thing. Lack of control tires was half the reason I stopped 1/8th rallycross, carrying 3 hauler bags if tires around I MIGHT need but rarely did became just too silly! For me the advantage of a control tire is a level playing field, gets a bit frustrating when somebody shows up with 1 set of magic tires worth 1s/lap when you've got up at dumb am and driven for 2 hours.
Might just be me I guess!

So moving on I have a couple of other questions;

1) how many rounds would people want?
2) how far would the typical person be willing to travel?
3) one day per class 1 day meetings, both classes same day or two day meeting with a class per day like nationals?
4) would people be happy to have points purely off qualifying if it allowed a "limited motor" class to be mixed with the main class .... finals just for fun?
5) include a junior championships as part of the main class, separate heats or not at all?

All interesting stuff .... hope your making notes DC