Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 11-09-2012

Default Few centro issues

Ive noticed a few issues during race meetings with my Centro.

First of all ive noticed the ball diff doesnt take long till it sounds very gritty and clogged up, i serviced it last week with all new bits and balls, and one meeting with it and it sounds awful, any ideas why? maybe theres an area on the gearbox casing that allows crap to get in?

Second, ive gone through nearly 3 spur gears in 2 meeting. Not due to a bad mesh or an untightened motor screw but ive noticed the pads and slipper plates are getting extremely hot, is this a reason why they are chewing up?

Was wondering if theres any tips to prevent these things happening.

Cheers
Old 11-09-2012
Banned

If its slipping too much, it will heat the spur, in turn softening the plastic causing it too fail.

It does sound like it could be the slipper pads, Also double check the layshaft bearings, make sure they are all running true. and also check the layshaft "float"

I ran the V2 vented plates, although i believe the is a new double slipper system available.
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've noticed the diff gets gritty quickly too. I suspect its ingress between the chassis and gearbox casing. i'm gonna run a smear of silicone sealant between them next time I rebuild and assemble to see if that helps.

Slipper... I installed the AE VTS three plate slipper, and had no issues. You could also try vented slipper plates, or the new AVID tri-plate slipper.

The issue i have with it is rear shock shafts. I've done three in three weeks. Ok, one was a rear impact from another driver which snapped it clean off, the other two have been bent in normal racing. I'm using the gold unobtainium parts.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
If its slipping too much, it will heat the spur, in turn softening the plastic causing it too fail.

It does sound like it could be the slipper pads, Also double check the layshaft bearings, make sure they are all running true. and also check the layshaft "float"

I ran the V2 vented plates, although i believe the is a new double slipper system available.
New slipper pads mate, doesnt seem to be slipping alot thats the wierd thing.
Seems to be happening towards the end of a run, so yeah the heat is causing the spur to die! Ill order a new layshaft and put a new bearing in, but the whole transmission seems to be turning true
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I've noticed the diff gets gritty quickly too. I suspect its ingress between the chassis and gearbox casing. i'm gonna run a smear of silicone sealant between them next time I rebuild and assemble to see if that helps.

Slipper... I installed the AE VTS three plate slipper, and had no issues. You could also try vented slipper plates, or the new AVID tri-plate slipper.

The issue i have with it is rear shock shafts. I've done three in three weeks. Ok, one was a rear impact from another driver which snapped it clean off, the other two have been bent in normal racing. I'm using the gold unobtainium parts.
dont think theres much we can do to prevent being hit from behind and breaking shock shafts!
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
dont think theres much we can do to prevent being hit from behind and breaking shock shafts!
not in that case, but the two i've bent was just in running round the track?
the one i spotted today (when swapping springs) was just a slight bend, but a bend all the same.

this is the VTS slipper:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...onversion.html
It's for the SC10 4x4 truck, but fits straight onto the B4.1/C4.1 layshaft and under the stock gear cover. if you re getting a new layshaft and bearing... get this too. mine is excellent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
not in that case, but the two i've bent was just in running round the track?
the one i spotted today (when swapping springs) was just a slight bend, but a bend all the same.

this is the VTS slipper:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...onversion.html
It's for the SC10 4x4 truck, but fits straight onto the B4.1/C4.1 layshaft and under the stock gear cover. if you re getting a new layshaft and bearing... get this too. mine is excellent.
Thanks mate !!
Old 11-09-2012

Check the in and out play on the layshaft as when mine was unshimmed it caused the spur to oscilate unevenly.

Use the hi torque pads that team associated do and you should solve the slipper problem, the standard pads heat up too much and glaze giving uneven performance.

As for the diff, if you sand the plates and clean everything. Use the associated stealth black grease and stealth diff lube it should last you more than just a couple of runs.

Hope this helps.

2011 DMCRC Mini Mod Champion / NFRCC Mini Champion
CWIC 2010/11 2nd Place Mini / Pirate RC SRS 17th 2011

Top Mini Sabre (Mini Mod), Tamiya M06 (Mini Stock) Tamiya M05
Losi 8ight EU, Team Associated / CML C4.1
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If I could open this up to other Centro issues?

Wing mounts. I've destroyed my wing already after 3-4 weeks. Any tips or mods to stop killing wings?
I've just had an LMR elecro wing delivered today, which is considerably thicker than the proline ones I've been using.
Old 11-09-2012

Stop crashing Neal, ha.....
Team Corally
Exotek

www.batleybuggyclub.com
www.rccarshop.co.uk

Trader Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169814
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFarrand View Post
Stop crashing Neal, ha.....
Old 13-09-2012

Quote:

Wing mounts. I've destroyed my wing already after 3-4 weeks. Any tips or mods to stop killing wings?
I've just had an LMR elecro wing delivered today, which is considerably thicker than the proline ones I've been using.
I have just fitted Losi 22 Wing Mounts (mid motor) on my Centro,just waiting for my LMR Electra wing now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2937[1].JPG (1.13 MB, 70 views)

Schumacher Laydown
Schumacher Cat L1

Schumacher
RC Octane
Old 13-09-2012

Quote:

I have just fitted Losi 22 Wing Mounts (mid motor) on my Centro,just waiting for my LMR Electra wing now

Schumacher Laydown
Schumacher Cat L1

Schumacher
RC Octane
Old 13-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishboy176 View Post
Looks good. What are the advantages over the centro kit schumacher one?

You've a different rear shock tower to me. I'm not too sure if those mounts will go on the kit shock tower?
Old 13-09-2012

I've got the Atomic Carbon rear mount,but you can do it with the original mount just that the wing mount can sit lower on my one

Schumacher Laydown
Schumacher Cat L1

Schumacher
RC Octane
Old 14-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

The VTS slipper fits straight onto the C4.1 with no extra parts needed or modifications to the car.

The stock cover will go over this and you will be able to use your existing AE spur gears rather than having to buy specific spurs for suit.