Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North West

Old 19-05-2013

Default What a great 2nd NW Regional Round

I thoroughly enjoyed today's racing at Stoke. This is exactly what we need in the NW *** VARIETY ***.

There are things that could improve, but we can say that about all our venues. In all honesty, I’d rather hit a tyre than a lump of concrete and I don’t really care that one is covered by BRCA rules while the other is not.

For those who expected perfection on the first 1/10th outing at the track – get a life.

For those who expected to finish early and went home leaving gaps in the marshalling – think carefully before booking round 3. It’s a long day, we know that in advance. Either allow for it, or next time help reduce the angst of your fellow drivers and don’t book in.

RANT OVER
Old 19-05-2013
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

I actually enjoyed today, the track was different and its nice to get some air time - its what these cars are made for! Bumps jumps and filth!

As you say Tony, it is expected to be a long day, however finishing at 7 Is abit excessive considering a national is finished before then. With the addition of stopping and starting for votes, it is slightly frustraiting.

The track, I thought, was good for an 8th track, the jumps were manageable - for anyone saying they werent through the day were simply not willing to learn. The quad jump in particular was great for me - risk it for a biscuit and double double, or keep it steady and single single double or be sensible and single them all.

Some sections did need work, and this is the feedback I'll give. The seperations between peices of astro were simply too big for our cars. With many corners having obsticles in the surface which are really not needed.
As the lap times were so long - 45-55 seconds per lap, this definatly needs to be made shorter. The back straight could be cut down and brought in back around to the straight by the rostrum making it a more sensible lap timing.

Marshal positioning - my biggest gripe of the day by far! For an 8th meeting where they were positioned were fine. However for a 10th race they were simply too far away from the action. I was 'lucky' to be driver number 6 - covering the quad and all i can say is that run from my chair to the jumps seemed to get further away as the day went on. This definately needs to be rectified if we return to the track.

I do however hold my opinion - a 10th club race should of been held before this meeting took place. I understand various drivers visited the track before today, however a shake down session does not come close to a full scale regional. As shown by today a few mistakes were made with time keeping making it to be a very long day. Arriving at the track for 7:30 and starting round one at 11am, with a full three minute gap between heats making it 8 minutes per heat, 1 hour and 30 per round - 6 hours for qualifying alone.
all of the above could of been rectified if a club meeting was held before hand.

However - I would definately consider returning if alterations were made and lessons were learnt.

Also thank you to our rep Woody for putting up with the hassle of holding a meeting like this, it was a tough day and all decisions made were fair.
Old 19-05-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

I was actually scared of the track when I turned up!

It turned out to be not much worse than any others, so I would like to thank all involved in running the day.

I hope we are welcome back next year
Old 19-05-2013
Mad Member

It won't be ran there again apparently it'll be held at storm valley indoor clay/dirt most likely
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 20-05-2013

it was a great day racing i thought, track was big yes, but least you didnt get to lap people/people lap you as often, so pretty much clean runs. if u didnt crash on the jumps . i struggled all day, but was down to my setup/driving not the track. my only complaint was the finals. dont know about other peoples but mine in both my finals no one was lining the grid up, in my 4wd final alone i quailfied 5th but for some reason car 9 from my heat sneaked his way up and started ahead of me . i understand it was late and some people wanted or had to get home but it seemed the interest level of the event dropped dramatically and no one cared as long as it finished asap.

but in all great day and i would go back if they were in next years regional
thanks to everyone who was involved with the running of the event.
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

The track was hard and long yes, but it was the same for everyone on the day. The name of the game is to learn the track and get round as quick as YOU can.

i think next time if the track was shortened the marshall points would be more condensed, this would help.

i thought the policing the Stoke club introduced to our regional series is a huge step forward. Track is closed until all marshalls have changed, and penalties for those marshalls who can never be arsed .

Thanks to the Stoke club for hosting.

on a side note, all the people who voted to stay and then left anyway, can you remember this and vote accordingly should such a situation arise again.

Oh and Nick:
VVVRRROOOOOOOOOOMMM
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
It won't be ran there again apparently it'll be held at storm valley indoor clay/dirt most likely
Why not both ?
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

True
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 20-05-2013

Great work by the stoke club today i for one would be back again . Good job woody for finding a track that sorts the men from the boys . I voted to keep racing even tho i didnt get home till gone 10pm . I hope woody gets a bit more support from the north west members rather than moan at him all day .
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Default Regional

Just my five pence worth and exactly what has been said either make the track smaller around 30 secs a lap max or up the amount of cars in each heat to 12.

Also was surprised at how many comments alot of people had but were not issuing to the right person - instead of a vote Woody should make the decission and everyone follow if you dont agree ask for an explanation or see him later.

Thought the track was good and compared to 2 years ago a massive improvement - also remember southport/bury have held nationals so that is there standard this is a case of a local track that held a meeting to help us out - instead of conflict and issues give advice and help - offer your advice and help to woody as this is by far a hard task to do.

Again lets remember the fun factor as otherwise it becomes a chore to everyone
Old 20-05-2013

That track would have been great half the size.
Too many obstacles too far away and out of sight.
Car was randomly shooting off the track in slow corners due to the craters.
Good venue though. Just needs a few tweaks here and there to suit 10th.
Old 20-05-2013

I enjoyed the challenge. The only problem for me was that we were out 18 hours yesterday, we really need to make getting these regionals started and finished quicker a priority.
KF, XB4 2014
Old 20-05-2013

The track over all for me wasn't an issue (just sucked all day! ) it made for great watching and seeing people adapt to a huge change they are not used too.

The overall issue for me, as mentioned as the joins in the astro, caused many flips that shouldn't have happened and on one corner there was two deep cuts which caused damage to car's if hit/ran over.

Other than that, things can be altered and changed and was enjoyable having so many jumps, ramps and obstacles.

The big issue I had was marshalling.

Kids.....

As much as I think it's great to get them into the hobby, the simple fact is parents should be with them at all times (or a represented adult).

I had cases where one kid was sitting on the fence and took more time jumping down to go to my car... and then repeated over and over for others.

Another case I had my car picked up and walked off with while the race hadn't ended, even with race control telling him he still didn't drop the car.

I had numerous cases where the kids flipped my car only to flip it so hard it went back on its roof...

Then in a final MEN where screaming at a kid, because he panicked with a smashed car in his hand and he thought he was being told to give them it quick, but they where screaming "MY CAR" behind him...

I don't think that was acceptable what so ever...

Bring kids into the hobby, but have them supported in marshalling or not at all to stop these issues.

Other than that, nice day, good weather and good turnout.

Regarding time and delays etc.

Track should have been open well before 7:30 there was already a queue of people waiting to setup.

This would have massively helped starting times.
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Default Regional

When and where are the results obtained so i can have a look please?
Old 20-05-2013

VVVRRROOOOOOOOOOMMM
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Old 20-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed today's racing at Stoke. This is exactly what we need in the NW *** VARIETY ***.

There are things that could improve, but we can say that about all our venues. In all honesty, I’d rather hit a tyre than a lump of concrete and I don’t really care that one is covered by BRCA rules while the other is not.

For those who expected perfection on the first 1/10th outing at the track – get a life.

For those who expected to finish early and went home leaving gaps in the marshalling – think carefully before booking round 3. It’s a long day, we know that in advance. Either allow for it, or next time help reduce the angst of your fellow drivers and don’t book in.

RANT OVER
Love the fact that you're defending it before anyone as even attacked it lol
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

Totes Lolz
Old 20-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc11 View Post
pinch of salt guys,pinch of salt
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member