Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 11-08-2013

welshy, i have broken a LA-59 a few months back, and I saw yhis one sold by fireboy125
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-LA-03-Al...item5d41d3d615
Have you used this before ? How strong are they? It seems a bearing is only used for the upper side. Any comments ?
Old 11-08-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Its good but ive bent them in the past. You could try Rondola and see if he has any more teamline hubs available. They wont break and come with bearings otherwise the hubs that the 3d maker sells are copies of the teamline but the plastics may be weaker.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 11-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Its good but ive bent them in the past. You could try Rondola and see if he has any more teamline hubs available. They wont break and come with bearings otherwise the hubs that the 3d maker sells are copies of the teamline but the plastics may be weaker.
I have asked rondoola and depending on his answer , i may have to still get the ones fireboy125 sells. For the price of $40, i could buy 3 La-27 from another seller. Do you think i should take my chances and go for several the LA-27s ?
Old 11-08-2013

Why not just find a standard kit one, get two of them so you will have a spare just in case, though they rarely break. Still if Rondola has some buy one as it wont break. Its up to you mate, as if the alloy one feels right go for it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 11-08-2013

I have a pair of those alloy ones, they have been anodised blue for the ZX shelfer. They are in transit but when they come back I will confirm that they have zero caster so the left and right are identical, which may not be ideal for you

They do take a bearing on the top and bottom, jethobby racing sells then direct and I think they do a version with some caster
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 12-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
I have a pair of those alloy ones, they have been anodised blue for the ZX shelfer. They are in transit but when they come back I will confirm that they have zero caster so the left and right are identical, which may not be ideal for you

They do take a bearing on the top and bottom, jethobby racing sells then direct and I think they do a version with some caster
Daniel, 0 caster is fine by me, i just want something bullet proof. Also, is there any knuckles that are easier to get than OT-16 and will fit into LA-27 without modifications ?
Old 13-08-2013

I can confirm they are zero degrees caster. For knuckles the 3racing ones only require a small mod. I filed a pair by hand easily.
Where are people sourcing bearings from?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 13-08-2013

Anyone know if rondoola is around? Haven't heard from him or some time, and i am itching for some alloy hubs...
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
I can confirm they are zero degrees caster. For knuckles the 3racing ones only require a small mod. I filed a pair by hand easily.
Where are people sourcing bearings from?
Ebay for bearings, if racing get the acer ceramic ones.
Answer UK team driver
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Anyone know if rondoola is around? Haven't heard from him or some time, and i am itching for some alloy hubs...
He is around, pm him again and ask.
Answer UK team driver
Old 14-08-2013

Just got told the molds complete, so will be getting my test chassis next week.
Answer UK team driver
Old 19-08-2013

Ok update for the chassis. Far right chassis is my ZXS designed chassis for the ZXR to use the ZXS shell. Middle chassis is the tub design I have come up with to use for the proto. Left is the ZXS chassis sitting ontop of the tub chassis design to see if all alligns up, and as the cell holes are further out I have had to move some holes to account for the change for the Lipo trays.

Now to revise the saddle pack holders for the tub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tub1.JPG (48.6 KB, 20 views)
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-08-2013

What is the part number for the ball diff adjustment screw for the Lazer/Mid ball diffs. I have some older ball diffs which are identical to the newer ones except they have a phillips head screw rather than allen key screw and I want to replace it
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 28-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Ok update for the chassis. Far right chassis is my ZXS designed chassis for the ZXR to use the ZXS shell. Middle chassis is the tub design I have come up with to use for the proto. Left is the ZXS chassis sitting ontop of the tub chassis design to see if all alligns up, and as the cell holes are further out I have had to move some holes to account for the change for the Lipo trays.

Now to revise the saddle pack holders for the tub.
I'm in for the tub
Old 28-08-2013

Ok, ive finalised my design and understand they are making the blank tub chassis and hopefully on friday will start cutting it.

Also ive done a rough design for the lipo trays and will be a proper tray out of carbon fibre, in two sections (one for each side) so will post a pocture when I have finished tinkering with it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 28-08-2013

Wow thats great news I'm starting to get excited now I'm definitely getting one. I've already started gathering pieces for the project.

I took my tub in to the local hobby shop to show one of the guys who wanted to see it. Most people had no idea what it was but at the same time were rather intrigued and one older guy in the store recognised it as a lazer but tapped the tub and said "they never came with this though"

I've made a few more changes to the tub, see if you can spot them. The new wheels are actually for another project though I want to get some better tyres for them.

It still needs a teardown and rebuild and I am still in two minds about filing the front edges so the ZX body fits, I may put a ZX-R shell on it.

I have a Tomcat shell but thats reserved for the new tub

Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 28-08-2013

Hi Lazer ZXR enthusiasts

I just picked up one of these great buggies for vintage racing and have been trying to learn as much as I can however pouring through 200+ pages is proving time consuming so im hoping for a crash course if I can, what might be ideal in the end is a new sticky thread with a succinct "idiots guide to what fits your zxr and what repro/better parts are available"

so to my questions

Is there a lipo saddle tray available for the zxr?

What current cvds fit front and rear using standard hubs / arms etc (ive read differing answers 65.5, 62.5 etc) Im not a fan of friction hexes so I want to run clamping hexes

Mine came with the slipper, is there an easy way to ditch the slipper and run a lighter direct drive setup and have the ability to use whatever spur I like? if that's not easy to do, whats the biggest pinion that can be run with the 100T spur

Not sure if its an upgrade but mine came with the layshaft one-way. Whats the easiest way to switch to a full time 4wd setup if I want to try it

I've read welshy uses madrat front rims, its an option but mine will be dirt off road only, are there better rim options?, I do have some of the fast trax rims, they do have a deep hex fitting but that will be solved once I can use the clamping hexes

I've ordered the pargu arm pivots and the blue upgrade steering bits, I didn't think to find out what bearings will make the steering work

Thanks for any help you can offer, sorry for all the questions, I know it looks like im being lazy but I got to page 49 and hadn't gleaned a lot from it so I thought I would ask
Old 29-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Hi Lazer ZXR enthusiasts

I just picked up one of these great buggies for vintage racing and have been trying to learn as much as I can however pouring through 200+ pages is proving time consuming so im hoping for a crash course if I can, what might be ideal in the end is a new sticky thread with a succinct "idiots guide to what fits your zxr and what repro/better parts are available" No kore threads, stick it all under one thread. FYI I will be doing a manual soon once my tub has been made so will do a full rebuild with exception of the diffs and will label everything so will make everyones life so much easier and that is what my goal has been since Kyosho stopped making this car, to make everyone with the bug I still have to continue to race it.

so to my questions

Is there a lipo saddle tray available for the zxr? Yes and no. My orginal design isnt really suitable for you so have started designing a newer simpler easy to install version and prototype is being made next week so will post pictures whe done.

What current cvds fit front and rear using standard hubs / arms etc (ive read differing answers 65.5, 62.5 etc) Im not a fan of friction hexes so I want to run clamping hexes. I posted something in the last few pages but I use on the front LA232 which is 65mm long so is the wider front end setting on the castor block and wishbone, and LA245 on the rear but if I remember I bought the bone and thenthe axle as the axle is too short on LA245. I bought the axle from LA232 and used VZW-10 hexes. Hope that helps and also these are superb driveshafts.

Mine came with the slipper, is there an easy way to ditch the slipper and run a lighter direct drive setup and have the ability to use whatever spur I like? if that's not easy to do, whats the biggest pinion that can be run with the 100T spur. Ok I would advise 100t no matter what and RW racing make my design of spur gear so are readily available. But if your really serious about racing this car and at speed I would seriously advice replacing the layshaft with my new design which fits the B4 slipper clutch VTS system which makes this a dream to drive. Only issue is you have to ru the one way locked to get a perfect drive but is insignificant for the money. Biggest pinion, forgotten but 25 fits.

Not sure if its an upgrade but mine came with the layshaft one-way. Whats the easiest way to switch to a full time 4wd setup if I want to try it. As above. Just tighten the one way nut and hey presto total 4wd.

I've read welshy uses madrat front rims, its an option but mine will be dirt off road only, are there better rim options?, I do have some of the fast trax rims, they do have a deep hex fitting but that will be solved once I can use the clamping hexes. Nope Madrat rims front and rear are exactly the same dimensions as the noriginal and to be honest are cheap and very strong. Yes i do more indoors now but hit big jumps and they handle it well. Fastrax are rubbish and there are issues with rubbing so avoid those.

I've ordered the pargu arm pivots and the blue upgrade steering bits, I didn't think to find out what bearings will make the steering work. Use the manual for part numbers try Kyosho, otherwise get the size and then go on ebay, there are loads of suppliers. Personally I am now into ceramics Acer to be exact and yes are expensive but worth the money.

Thanks for any help you can offer, sorry for all the questions, I know it looks like im being lazy but I got to page 49 and hadn't gleaned a lot from it so I thought I would ask
Answers above. PM me any questions and will try to help.
Answer UK team driver
Old 30-08-2013

Hey Welshy!!

Thanks so much for all the answers, its starting to make sense to me

so normal width, the 62.5 unis work, im thinking the um510 from the rb5 might also work, but if I switch to the wide front end, 65.5mm would work, which means the readyset lazer hop ups should work, depending on axel length

ok trick is, my mk1 zxr only has one hole at the bottom of the c hub, so I cant widen it, is there a different part number that has that option? Edit. I think I worked out its LA59

I've contacted RW, i'll probably just run this car in 540 or maybe with a 17.5 or 13.5 in it so i'll need to gear it pretty tall, so I've asked if theres a 90T spur, the layshaft has a small diameter so a normal direct drive spur adapter wont fit on it

If anyone can confirm team c would be the same rim as ansman that would be great, I can get team c stuff pretty easy so I might get them

thanks again
Old 31-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Hey Welshy!!

Thanks so much for all the answers, its starting to make sense to me

so normal width, the 62.5 unis work, im thinking the um510 from the rb5 might also work, but if I switch to the wide front end, 65.5mm would work, which means the readyset lazer hop ups should work, depending on axel length

ok trick is, my mk1 zxr only has one hole at the bottom of the c hub, so I cant widen it, is there a different part number that has that option? Edit. I think I worked out its LA59

I've contacted RW, i'll probably just run this car in 540 or maybe with a 17.5 or 13.5 in it so i'll need to gear it pretty tall, so I've asked if theres a 90T spur, the layshaft has a small diameter so a normal direct drive spur adapter wont fit on it

If anyone can confirm team c would be the same rim as ansman that would be great, I can get team c stuff pretty easy so I might get them

thanks again
The width has to be exact so half a mil wont work so 65mm has to be the longest you can fit. Team C are annsman so just ask if they can supply front and rear wheels for the Mad Rat. Hubs i think yours are the sports version so youll need to find a pair with the extra hole.

Mention to RW can he make a 90 spur for the design i will send you via email once you supply your address via pm. Say he desinged and made it for James Instone.
Answer UK team driver