Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 22-01-2008

saw your durga video jimmy and i go WOW WOW WOW all the time! awesome!
Old 22-01-2008
Mad Member

Nice vid, jumps quite well frmm what i can see, ill get to doing my first off road meet soon i hope, would like to go indoor so im guessing Dudley as im in Bham?
There are some new Vids on there from Japan too, nice racing and lots of abuse going on lol.

lee
Old 22-01-2008
Administrator

yeah it jumps well, it's a very stable and predictable car - better if you have the diff in. on the big table top it was hard to get the nose down with the one-way in the front, but that was the same for any car.
Old 22-01-2008
Mad Member

Stable and predictable sound good to me, not raced for around 6 years or so and all that was on flat with gas and 1/10 touring, couple that with the fact ive switched to a steerwheel, im starting out way fresh lol...must get the other diff built and in the pit box i reckon lol!

lee
Old 22-01-2008
Mad Member

Has anyone succeeded in building up some 501X shocks from spare parts yet? Are the parts easily available or are they something that will be "ordered in" and never appear?

Or has anyone heard a solid date for the 54028 hop up shocks?

The CVA's work but I think they are starting to hold me back now in terms of setup, also they are swiftly headed for the knackers yard, the wobble and wear on them already is pretty impressive!

I softened the oil in the rear to #600 with the kit pistons, the damping is now more similar to the front which helps, although the car is still VERY underdamped on jumps due to the total absence of pack.

Did some experimenting setup-wise today on the slippy floor at Jarrow and the one-way lapped faster than the diff even though I was less confident with it.

I also did some running with the anti-roll bars on the back and liked it, it actually increased rear grip with the yellow bar which suggests the rear end was over-rolling in the corners without, so a much nicer balance. The blue bar had more steering but was maybe a little bit edgier over the jumps.

In case anyone wondered the 501 bars are the following diameters - Red/0.8mm, Yellow/1.0mm, Blue/1.2mm. Red seems far too soft to have any effect although I did not actually test it on the car.

Still a lot more tweaking to do, still haven't got the car the way I want it, but learning more about it every meeting!
Old 22-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I got my shocks built up from the list far earlier in the thread, but you would need to also buy a TRF shock rebuild kit.
Old 22-01-2008
Administrator

I built some 501X shocks from parts - I got the shock pack from RC CHAMP but it doesn't come with the plastic parts, springs (as far as I can remember) or seals (again, from memory) or pistons.
I had the plastic parts tree and the pistons, which also contains the spacers - and I had the seals. The only thing that none of this stuff comes with is the tiny 0.2mm shim that nestles next to the piston. There might be some left over from the durga kit (im not sure) but I built mine for my 501X before the durga, so I had to nick the spacers from Isherwood.
I think you can maybe get away without using them, but theres a hint of piston movement then I guess.

If you want to improve the car then the shocks are a good help if you're bouncing off the performance ceiling that is the CVA dampers. Any sort of hard landing or rough terrain will be just smoother and of course the car won't bottom out.
I'd like to have tried the antiroll bars last weekend but I didn't really spend any time on the car at all - it was great and I just spent time driving it quicker and quicker each round.
Old 22-01-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I got my shocks built up from the list far earlier in the thread, but you would need to also buy a TRF shock rebuild kit.
sorry did you buy the seperate damper bodies and all the bits seperate? my 'shock kit' came with all the large orings etc. I've not seen this 'TRF shock rebuild kit' that's all.
Old 22-01-2008

the bits that the guy from the Tamiya shop was selling had everything except the piston guides.
Old 22-01-2008

it is the shock rebuild kit, the same for the touring cars Jim.
Old 22-01-2008
Administrator

ahh, the piston guides come with the pistons?
Old 22-01-2008

no, they come with the shock seals in the rebuild kit.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53574
Old 22-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to Eddie168

anyone know will the Tamiya TRF501X Aluminum Front and Rear Upright fits on the durga?
Old 22-01-2008
Administrator

The rear should fit without problem, the front should also but I'm not 100% on that since the dogbone style shafts might catch, just a guess but I'd have to test fit it before saying yes.
Old 23-01-2008

Also what is the size of the suspension ball (A2) that comes with the durga? i broke ine the other day and still lookinf for parts
Old 24-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie168 View Post
anyone know will the Tamiya TRF501X Aluminum Front and Rear Upright fits on the durga?
Fitted the alloy front and rear uprights from the 501x - no problem. Helped to dial in the car using the needed roll center. I am however using the 501x CVDs so I'm not 100% on the standard dog bones. They should fit. I did however need to shim the axle/bearing areas to reduce the play in the rear alloy upright. With that said - so far so good!

Side note - Great review Jimmy. Stripped the same screws!!
Old 24-01-2008

Can anyone show me the page with the part list for building the 501x shocks plz? also anyone used the hard case 5000MAH lipo that you could get from demon power? are they any good?
Old 24-01-2008

501x shock parts

x1 V Parts: 51280 (includes 2)
x1 W Parts: 51281 (includes 2)
x1 X Parts: 51282 (includes 2)
x1 Damper Parts Bag: 9404701

May take at bit of hunting around as they are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse .... Speshally the damper parts bag. Got mine from Champ and stella.
Seen some similar hard case lipos on the bay for around 45 quid. Not got one (yet) though, mines fast enough with the mamba on plain old NiMh (3700's).Although that didn't stop me from strapping a 3s from my Trex into it to see how she went!!!!!
Old 25-01-2008

Can anyone tell me how tight my rear Diff should be on the Durga? I thought i had the whole "differential" thing down to a science, but i noticed while spinning my rear wheels by hand, that one of the wheels would stutter and then eventually start spinning again. Is my problem the Diff being too tight or too loose? I was wondering if anyone could recomend how many turns i should go from the tightest point that the diff can be tightened. Such as 3 turns from the tightest point. Thanks Guys.

A.J.
Old 25-01-2008

Default Need Help for carpet setup!!!

Need some help. I have a Tamyia spec racing coming up and am running the DB01 w/the 501 alloy, cvd and DF03 shocks. Note I can only use the Tamiya parts i.e. tires, inserts etc...The first race is being held on an indoor carpet track (www.fastcats.ca)

Anyone one have a base set up??

I ran it last night. Had no rear traction on corner entry (felt more like a flat spin). Added a front sway bar and maxed out the roll center adjustments!!

Help would be great!! Donavan