Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 27-01-2008

dcm, im using this setup on the df03 shocks (of cos using the trf piston)

F:3hole + 40wt df03 gold spring
R:3hole + 30wt df03 black spring

is it ok?

i'm going to participate in a race running on ashalpt mix with carpet and about a metre jump. do i need to strengthen the shocks in any way? 2hole? thicker oil? df03 silver spring? do i need to shorten the shocks?

so many questions....

but thanks
Old 27-01-2008

Default Very Happy with Durga

Hi guys,

Ive been runnig my Durga for 3 weeks on a large 1/8 gas track. And I must say the Buggy is absolutely awesome!

With a Mamba Max 7700 I did better lap times than with my 1/8 buggy, even with stock setup.

As many of you I started with the crappy DF03, spending a lot of money in hop ups and always broking something...

With the Durga its a different story, just bought the slipper and 3 weeks later, a big jump track and nothing broked.

I have friends, who usually only run gas cars, very enthusiastic about the buggy so we are planning to start a 4WD EP buggy class.

I found if you cut a little opening in the body you could have a buggy heatsink in the fresh air, mine is a small heatsink for tamiya M-chasis.

Also I must say thanks for all the info posted in this great forum.

bye!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DUrgaazul.jpg (126.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 27-01-2008
Mad Member

Glad you like it

As for the DF-03 being crappy.....i have to disagree

I did 5 heats round the Coventry track today running a 19 turn and broke nothing,It handled very well and finished a respectable 5th in the B final.

But now i have a Durga and a ZX-5 to concentrate on one of my DF-03,s will have to go...........

Its a great car to get into the swing of things and it has served me well.
Old 27-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
dcm, im using this setup on the df03 shocks (of cos using the trf piston)

F:3hole + 40wt df03 gold spring
R:3hole + 30wt df03 black spring

is it ok?

i'm going to participate in a race running on ashalpt mix with carpet and about a metre jump. do i need to strengthen the shocks in any way? 2hole? thicker oil? df03 silver spring? do i need to shorten the shocks?

so many questions....

but thanks
F = 2 hole +40wt
R = 3 Hole +35wt (or maybe 40wt if needed)
Old 28-01-2008

thanks dcm!
Old 28-01-2008

Toonz,
Are you racing in the Singapore TAC qualifiers?
Old 28-01-2008

i've put my name down for the buggy class but i've got to try out how this db01 will react with the sport tuned+17 pinion (limited only to this gearing due to the restricted motor ). if i like the feel of it, then i will take part. otherwise i may have second thought....

are u taking part too?
Old 28-01-2008

I'll be in the Malaysian qualifiers.
Will be running a DF-03 Dark Impact, at least for first few rounds. Don't have a Durga but either chassis will do fine for TAC, I think.

Good luck with yours. If you are limited to 17T pinion, it's going to be very slow. Maybe you can use the longer pinions but flip them around. Whatever the case, I'm sure they will do something about the rules so that the DB-01 can compete fairly.
Old 28-01-2008

the longer pinion won't fit at all on a sport tuned unless you use a hotter motor with a longer motor shaft.

that's also why this kit comes with a short 17pinion to accomodate the silver can and sports tuned. hence TAC singapore will also limit the df03 ratio...

i do wish the dirt tuned could be used if they want to race stock cos it can be geared up to use the 23pinion......

well..i will try out the sport tuned myself first before i set my heart on it if not i will take part in the m-chassis or use the DT02 for the buggy class. we allow 2wd here too

hey, good luck to you too! have fun!
Old 28-01-2008

It would be fun to see more pics of the Durga. The car is about as cool as they get so please post pics of yours!
Old 28-01-2008

Well here's a pic of mine.. Hopefully I'll finish the chassis next weekend.

I need to regroup the red foam circles (BM13) because now it seems like the dogbone could pop out easily.

I'm using DF03 Shocks with the DF03 white spring set.
Old 28-01-2008
Administrator

The DF03 shocks are longer than the 501X ones - so you'll certainly have too much droop there but just make sure they fully compress also (so the chassis will touch the ground)
I limited the droop in my 501X shocks to get the car to rotate more
Old 28-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
The DF03 shocks are longer than the 501X ones - so you'll certainly have too much droop there but just make sure they fully compress also (so the chassis will touch the ground)
I limited the droop in my 501X shocks to get the car to rotate more
Thanks for the advice Jimmy, correct me if I'm wrong, but with limiting the droop you mean I should put some O-rings on the shaft under the piston inside the shocks body right? How many O-rings would you recommend?
Old 28-01-2008

Default Help please.

Just finished my Durga BUT have a problem (I think). I am running it stock as per the build manual with a black can Sport Tuned (17T pinion) just to bed everything in. I have the slipper clutch - set to 3mm - and have shimmed the layshaft to get rid of the end float. All the screws are tight and the pinion/spur mesh is set to give a tiny bit of play the same as I have always run my RC10 B4. The 'problem' is that the drivetrain sounds like someone has thrown a load of gravel in it - it feels OK vibration wise but the best way I can describe it is like a straight-cut car gearbox, ie loud and rough. Is this normal?

I am running Tamiya CVD's front and rear and they are OK, no play etc.

Jimmy's didn't seem to make any noise at all on Sunday and I am now worried that it'll rip itself to bits when I put the brushless in it.

Last edited by General Accident; 28-01-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Missed the CVD's off.
Old 28-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

it is the naff pinion from Tamiya on a not as good as a B4 spur gear, tis all, and then you put it in a tunnel and it amplifies it!

Limiting shocks, use the spacers on one of the sprue's (don't ask which one, can't remember)
Old 28-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewil View Post
It would be fun to see more pics of the Durga. The car is about as cool as they get so please post pics of yours!
Here's mine. It's build for a local Tamiya Spec race. Black can and Tamiya Hop-ups only. That includes the tires!
Old 28-01-2008
Administrator

it's got all the hop ups! lol - let us know how it goes. I've never considered the anti roll bars, are they from the 501X ?
Old 29-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
it's got all the hop ups! lol - let us know how it goes. I've never considered the anti roll bars, are they from the 501X ?
Between the spec Tamiya racing (called Baja 2) I hope to run my LRP/Orion 5.5 combo. The arms, CVD's, alloy upright where all spares from a 501x I used to own. Sold it to South Africa from Canada!

The sway bars are indeed from the 501x. They work really well. I starting using them due to the lack of roll center adjustments on the stock uprights. I am however using a few of the larger bars in the front from the TA05 - blue and yellow. The traction in the rear with the spec tires just doesn't cut it (much rather my yellow pins - lol). I followed DCM suggestion on using the touring car pistons and heavier oils. It helped enough to reduce the front bar down to yellow and the thinnest 501x bar in the rear. I'm also running the 36t pulley in the front as it seems to help pull me through the corner. First race is Feb 9. Wish me luck. SO
Old 29-01-2008

P.S. Jimmy, how did I do on the paint job??? Just need some oople stickers to make it perfect
Old 29-01-2008

Does anyone know what the hold up is on the TRF buggy dampers that are supposed to be released for the DB-01? Maybe im just being impatient, but its been a good two months now that the buggy has been available. What is Tamiya doing, trying to make us go out and buy another companys product or something? I know for sure that im not going to buy the 3racing dampers, although i do have the front and rear shock towers, which i am very pleased with the quality.