Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 05-03-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Cut the inner rim off the front wheel to make it narrow, don't run it as it comes. No insert front, schumacher blue med rear.

As for springs, they are too soft for Astro the kit springs. On carpet Lee Martin has been running Yatabe Black on the rear (YAS-1000) and Yatabe Yellow (YAS-825), on the front.

Can't remember what kit oil is, dependent on the bumpiness of the track, if its smooth to bumpy, could go 400cst front, 300 rear. If its smoother you could up it a little.
Kit oil is 400 front and 300 rear as standard. Job done

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 07-03-2015
Mad Member

I ran last night on carpet. Yatabe Black/45w front, Yatabe Purple/40w rear, rest of the set up as kit apart from a ball diff.
Did add 20g in front of the servo and a 55g shorty under weight, car seemed very planted, could do with maybe a bit more rear grip, but already this car is a vast improvement over my XMW, even i can notice that with my limited skill, it pushes you, to push harder......much to my own off track demise lol, loving it!

lee
Old 07-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
I ran last night on carpet. Yatabe Black/45w front, Yatabe Purple/40w rear, rest of the set up as kit apart from a ball diff.
Did add 20g in front of the servo and a 55g shorty under weight, car seemed very planted, could do with maybe a bit more rear grip, but already this car is a vast improvement over my XMW, even i can notice that with my limited skill, it pushes you, to push harder......much to my own off track demise lol, loving it!

lee
Yatabe purple is a bit hard on the rear mate, the hardest I've used so far is yatabe green on the rear.

Did you have shocks on front or rear?
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 07-03-2015
Mad Member

Yes Allan, rear shock mount, reckon i could do with a softer spring, keep getting told to stiffen, but softer could be the way?

Lee
Old 07-03-2015

Quote:
Yes Allan, rear shock mount, reckon i could do with a softer spring, keep getting told to stiffen, but softer could be the way?

Lee
I'd try a slightly softer rear spring, see how you get on.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 07-03-2015
Mad Member

Thanks Allan, ill give it a go!

lee
Old 07-03-2015

Allan,

Quick question on the location of the rear shocks in front or behind the wishbone what does it do to the handling of the car? Just trying to understand a little more on the setups.

Thanks

Andy
Old 07-03-2015

Is the internal ratio of yz-2 same 2.6 as bmx-2 ?
Old 07-03-2015
Mad Member

Yes it's the same.

Xray, Orca, 1UP Racing, Avid,
X Factory UK, RC Disco, Hudy,
RichPaint, RDT products, Screwz4rc

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 07-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycra View Post
Allan,

Quick question on the location of the rear shocks in front or behind the wishbone what does it do to the handling of the car? Just trying to understand a little more on the setups.

Thanks

Andy
On the rear is more stable, makes the car push more but is easier getting the power down on low grip.

Shocks will only be on the front on super high grip.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 08-03-2015
Mad Member

Ran today for the the first time at Batley on slippery indoor track. Car felt superb, although I did add some weight to front after first heat. Ran with shocks to rear, but rest of set up was exactly as the standard kit build says. Other than one lost 3mm nut on front steering arm ball joint, car behaved and performed faultlessly.
Can't wait for next chance to race

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 10-03-2015

Driven the YZ-2 for the first time last Sunday. Used a almost out of the box setup, only changed to Yatabe springs (on a high grip track) and added 20gr near (and under) the motor and 11gr in the nose. Cut 1 row of pins (on Minispike yellow) on the rear to lose a bit of traction. Car has so much steering, damn. Car is silent as well, me like. Guess I'm not going to use my B-Max2 anytime soon.

Going to try to stick some weight under the LiPo next time, just to settle the car a bit. Front could use some more weight as well, in some corners the front lifts too much and I lose steering (only on power). Maybe i've to add a bit less droop on the front.

For now: good, but working on it.
Old 14-03-2015
Mad Member

Had a blinding meeting last night with this now wonderful car. I took Allans advice on trying softer rear green springs, worked like a charm for the first two heats as grip always seems low.
As the grip came up i was pitching a bit, so tried a stiffer purple rear, perfect, tons of grip, tons of steering, and the car jumps perfectly now with a 55g under the shorty. Couple of lads did comment how flat she cornered, almost like it was on foams too.
Im B final fodder at present haha, i run out of talent quickly, but hey, she got me a B win last night and only just missed the A due to that talent lack haha, so i know the car is on the money now, i just need more practice, car seems awesome on the ball diff, but i may try the geared soon.
Any tips on 10.5 gearing? I'm currently on the kit spur and 27t pinion, seems ok, just wondered if there may be any dark arts i can learn there?
Loving this car now, I'm starting to get used to its aggressive nature compared to my TRF, simply superb!

lee
Old 14-03-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyaflake View Post
Driven the YZ-2 for the first time last Sunday. Used a almost out of the box setup, only changed to Yatabe springs (on a high grip track) and added 20gr near (and under) the motor and 11gr in the nose. Cut 1 row of pins (on Minispike yellow) on the rear to lose a bit of traction. Car has so much steering, damn. Car is silent as well, me like. Guess I'm not going to use my B-Max2 anytime soon.

Going to try to stick some weight under the LiPo next time, just to settle the car a bit. Front could use some more weight as well, in some corners the front lifts too much and I lose steering (only on power). Maybe i've to add a bit less droop on the front.

For now: good, but working on it.
Ive got 20g in front of the servo, and 55g under the shorty, and its very planted buddy, don't know if that helps, the 55g really helped stabilise the car in the air big time for me.

lee
Old 18-03-2015

Are the turnbuckles that come in the kit titanium? Only reason I ask is that on MB models they've silver titanium for sale, do I need to get these before running or are the kit track rods fine?
Old 18-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Muldoon View Post
Are the turnbuckles that come in the kit titanium? Only reason I ask is that on MB models they've silver titanium for sale, do I need to get these before running or are the kit track rods fine?
Kit ones are spot on. no need to replace at all. I've not bent one on any of my bmax cars or this new one. I'd say only upgrade if you feel you need to make tge car lighter, say for stock racing.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 19-03-2015

Quote:
Ive got 20g in front of the servo, and 55g under the shorty, and its very planted buddy, don't know if that helps, the 55g really helped stabilise the car in the air big time for me.

lee
Thanks. Will add some weight under the shorty. Have to test how it works.
Old 30-03-2015

Will Kyosho 12mm wheels fit the YZ-2?

I know the hex is the same size but how do the offset's compare?

Chris
Old 30-03-2015
Mad Member

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...els2015032729/

Lets have your thoughts on the rear arms and driveshafts on the above guys.

Guessing there needed due to arms being used?

Whats the diff with the arms?

Also are there two diff types of front arms also?

Old 30-03-2015

Yes, you have the gullwing arms (and tower) and the flat type arms on the front. On the rear they play with it, for example: Lee runs YZ2 arms on the 4WD.

I haven't played around with the different arms, so no experience with it yet.