Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > XRAY

Old 14-04-2014

Default T4 Wheel Nut

Hi All

I ran my 'new to me' T4 this weekend for the first time in anger. It was handling like a dream and running really well apart from one major issue. I kept losing one of the front wheel nuts. I initially thought the nyloc had gone so I replaced the nut, but unfortunately in the final the same thing happened again.

Is this likely to indicate a problem? What is the best type of wheel nuts to use?

Thanks

Steve
Old 14-04-2014

Hi

Use the serrated ones (XRA960240)

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...ated-Flange-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveuk View Post
Hi All

I ran my 'new to me' T4 this weekend for the first time in anger. It was handling like a dream and running really well apart from one major issue. I kept losing one of the front wheel nuts. I initially thought the nyloc had gone so I replaced the nut, but unfortunately in the final the same thing happened again.

Is this likely to indicate a problem? What is the best type of wheel nuts to use?

Thanks

Steve
Old 14-04-2014

are you using old wheels? if the hex's have opened up slightly they will work loose. try a new set of wheels.
Old 15-04-2014

As already mentioned, get some serrated nuts. Nylocs can't really cope with the loads produced when running a spool.
Old 15-04-2014

Thanks all, I have got some serrated nylocs on order, hopefully that will solve the issue.

The wheels were only 3 runs old, so not that old. The 2nd nut that came off was serrated only.

Steve
Old 16-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveuk View Post
Thanks all, I have got some serrated nylocs on order, hopefully that will solve the issue.

The wheels were only 3 runs old, so not that old. The 2nd nut that came off was serrated only.

Steve
If a serrated nut came off then you just need to tighten them up more. You have to do them up until you can't physically tighten them any more. Once you start thinking you might snap the axle or nut driver, that's the correct level of force to use.
Old 21-04-2014

OK ran the car on Sunday, tightened the wheel nuts right up as suggested. That resulted in 1 run where both bearings in the rear upright failed, another run where both bearings in the front hub failed.

It doesn't look like there is anything between the 2 bearings in the hub looking at the instructions. Should I be putting some form of spacer between the bearings like my other cars have?

Do people put anything between them, or was I really unlucky?

Thanks

Steve
Old 22-04-2014

No spacers needed, there is usually a gap of about 0.1-0.2mm between the hex and bearing, so when you tighten the nut the hex tightens against the pin rather than the bearing. Have you (or the previous owner) shimmed this play out? That can cause bearing failures. Are you using xray driveshafts?