Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 20-04-2014

Default Early SWB Mid Belt and Gear Cover Color

I'm building up the basic Optima Mid with all NIP parts, and I had heard that the very early Mids had clear belt and gear covers, I have a set of genuine Kyosho SWB Belt and Gear covers, but these are a newer part (you can tell by the header card on them) and not sure if I should use them on this build or not. I have the genuine tinted parts too and don't want to make it look like it has repro bits on it.
I actually have a genuine shell and decal set for it too so I'm resisting temptation to put the vintage alloy wishbones and C-hubs I have on it

I am going to use the Option house wheels (OT-67 IIRC) on it though just to set it apart from the Turbo Mid I have here as well

If anyone can clarify the belt cover situation I can get on with the build
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 20-04-2014

My stock Optima Mid came with tinted gear and belt covers. As far as I know only the later LWB Mids were using clear covers, and reproduction covers are also clear. I would use the tinted parts on the regular Mid, but it may also be that it was also produced with clear parts. Just as there are 2 versions of the white wheels, one with extra spokes on the inside, and rough finish on the outside, and one without the extra spokes inside, and more smooth finish on the outer side.
Old 21-04-2014

It was Fireboy on eBay that told me the very early mids had clear gear and belt covers.
The new ones that I have here are interesting in that they don't have screw holes but they are cut to the correct width, I found the repros needed alot more work and never got round to using them I was lucky to find genuine LWB belt covers

I have another long term project to build a SWB Mid with all vintage hop ups, based on a Trinity SWB Saddle Pack chassis, I might save the clear covers for that project

I am sorely tempted to put the vintage aluminium wishbones and c hubs on this original mid (I have Andys for the Trinity chassis project) seeing as it has aluminium towers but I must try and resist the temptation lol
Though it would look cool especially if I polished all the alloy parts
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 21-04-2014
Mad Member

My Turbo Mid was an early one, bought as soon as they appeared, and that had tinted belt and gear covers on it.
Old 21-04-2014

How much time difference was there between the release of the regular and the Turbo mid?
I'm pretty much decided to use the tinted pieces. I would love to do a wire wing mount on it.
I can't get the idea of using the vintage alloy wishbones out of my head now lol
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 22-04-2014

Finding good repro LWB belt covers is tricky. A while ago Team Bluegroove had a new version of the LWB cover, which was basically an SWB cover with extended front part, so the angle of the sloped top cover was off. Also the edges were not as crisp as an original one. Later they decided to go for a dedicated LWB repro cover, using a new original cover to make a new mold, and this cover is much nicer. I didn't fit it yet, as by the time the improved version was ready, I had already bought an original LWB cover, but side to side the new version looks like it's spot on.

As for the color of the original Mid covers, if Fireboy says early versions had clear covers, it's very well possible. As mentioned earlier, the Mid also came with different versions of the white wheels, and there may be more subtle difference that were cut in during the time the kit was being produced.