Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-07-2009

Default 8Khz vs 16Khz?

I bought a 120a sensored esc from Hong Kong just to play around with.
But there is one thing im struggling with on the program card i got with the esc. I can choose between 8khz or 16khz, i run sensored motor, 2,4ghz receiver and lipo batteries so wich one should i choose?
Thanks..............
Old 05-07-2009

Send a message via MSN to Ben Turner

Well if the 8Khz and 16Khz refers to drive frequency;

A higher frequency will give a smoother operation and will be more efficient, and everything will run cooler. A lower drive frequency will give more bottom end but it wont be as smooth and everything will run hotter. Low drive frequency is useful for higher turned motors like stock motors where as the higher frequency would be better for lower winds like mod motors.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 05-07-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think that theory applies to brushed only, as with brushless, you have to energize coils, in rotation, so you can't be pulsing them at a rate, they are either charging, charged, or off.
Old 05-07-2009

Brushless or Brushed, same thing as far as the ESC is concerned: the higher the drive freq, the more heat generated by the ESC

That's because the ESC dissipates heat at each MOS switching(switching losses)... 16KHz is 16000 switchings in a second

For the motor, I can't comment, it is not my field. I would love to understand why higher drive frequency is more efficient for the coils, if anyone knows...
Old 07-07-2009

Choose 8KHz. 16KHz (or even 32KHz as some ESC's have) should only be reserved for incredibly incredibly low IR motors. 99% of motors out there run on 8KHz, and sadly if you set it too high you will end up with a dead motor and esc, high amp draws from packs and plenty of melted electronics followed by even more smoke .

If they have timing settings in the ESC, now thats worth a tinker, but as for frequency, leave it low.

Ian
TrakPower