Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > WRCA

Old 14-04-2011

Default ?what ESC

Hi everyone,
looking to get back into r/c cars after 15+ years so I am slightly out of touch. Did not race competitively back then either but enjoyed hobby all the same. I am hopefully buying a second hand B44, and have been to a local club/done some reading but still have many questions about the
electrics. Can someone please give some advise on what potential
ESC I should be looking at - although I will certainly not require brushless
speed initially, I would rather buy something that will not need replacing
as my driving [hopefully] improves.
Cheers
Steve.
Old 14-04-2011
Mad Member

These days it is only worth using brushless! (Despite what you've said!)

Why wouldn't you choose to spend your hard earned on a motor/speedo that you can fit to your car and never do any maintenance on, that runs more reliably and efficiently and is more readily available...and will still be running just as well once you've improved?

There really is no point in going back to brushed these days!!!

You have 2 options with brushless....sensored or sensorless.

Sensorless is cheaper, is a simple motor attached to ESC via 3 motor wires setup. Can be bought pretty cheaply and will be more than good enough to get you back into it. You can then buy sensorless motors of different ratings to help control your speed as you improve. Look up the EZRUN systems, I think they are pretty popular.

Sensored systems are more expensive, but offer a smoother/more controlled power delivery at low speeds as there is an extra set of wires between motor and ESC that tell the ESC where the rotor is at all times. At low speeds the timing is controlled to ensure smooth response. Speed passion are pretty popular and reasonably priced for this, although i run a Nosram ESC and Novak motor and it's been a bombproof setup so far!

Most regular racers opt for the sensored systems ultimately, but I also know a lot on this forum use the sensorless ones without any issue, and the systems are improving all the time. It used to be that sensorless systems suffered quite badly from 'cogging' where at low speeds it stutters. But proper gearing and newer systems are better at avoiding/controlling things.

Personally I skipped sensorless and went straight for sensored from the outset. Bought a 2nd hand ESC and a 10.5 turn motor (which at that point was roughly equivalent to a decent 19t brushed motor) and loved it. Perfect to learn on. I now run 6.5/7.5/8.5 motors as I've improved. Spend the money once rather than buying stuff twice would be my advice! It might be more expensive, but the payoff is worth it if you intend to stick at it.

That's about all on that side...as for batteries, again, don't go back! Go Lipo and love the no cycling, longer run times, longer battery life and the need to have only 1 pack per car for all your racing!

Hope it helps and have fun!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 14-04-2011

Hello Steve, whereabouts are you and which is your local club ?

Club members are always the best route to finding out which is the best kit for you as there are all ranges of standards & wallets there to ask advice from

There are also model shop owners at Swansea & Caldicot, possibly COBRA too if you want to buy local.

I would advise going brushless & Lipo straight from the get-go though, it really does make your life so much easier - no worrying about brushes or comms or over using your batteries each clubnight and no drop of performance like the old days

You can pick good stuff up here on o0ple for a good price tbh, and club members are always shifting kit at fair prices.

Best bet is to go to another clubnight and see what people are running and what would be the best for you at your price range.
Old 14-04-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

agreed on the lipo and brushless mate, go for it and dont look back!! Be warned, starting racing after a layoff is addictive.
Any probs, dont be afraid to ask. Helpfull peeps always here and trackside
Old 14-04-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

There are lots of good deals on sensored ESCs out there atm.

The For Sale section here is your friend, lots of slightly older model Nosram/LRP/GM/Speed Passion/Novak/Hobbywing/Orca (those are the ones off the top of my head).

Best UK deals on an ESC right now are the Hobbywing Xerun (1S or v2.1) at RacersInExile or HPI Q-Base Flux (a rebadged Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro - capable of powering just about anything up to 22v, but on the downside, rather big, though it'll fit a B44 no probs) at Modelsport.

HPI also have a new line of motors out for £50-odd, or get a used one here for £30-40.

Lipos are often cheaper from Hong Kong, notably Intellect brand (B44 needs saddles), but can be had for around £50-60 in UK (Vampire lipos at DMS or Vapextech saddle lipos). You can survive on one set, 2 makes life very easy, just keep one set on charge.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 14-04-2011

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the replies - a secondhand sensored ESC sounds good. I intend to use the Lipo cells also [don't know if I'm right but the saddle config seems desirable but quite expensive at around £100].
Dyna my local clubs are caldicot and talywain which
I intend to join when i'm sorted , I think your right about another visit
though- there's alot to take in initially.
Cheers
Steve
Old 14-04-2011
Mad Member

I use Vampire 4400 saddles in my B44...cheaper than the £100 you mention and been spot on for me so far! And stick packs don't fit the B44 at all so it's just a case of finding one of the many options at the right price.

Come along To Caldicot and say hi! We can do all this in person with the real thing in hand before you commit your money. Your doing the right thing so far, and it'll save you cash to get it right first time! I'm not about this week as it's nationals weekend, but many will be, and I will be next week...in fact we're doing an all day race day next Friday (22nd) since it's a bank holiday, anyone is welcome be it to race or watch and chat!

Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 15-04-2011

steve I'll be at club tonight if you want to get away from the wife??

If you want you can run me truck.. I'm going to run the MID44 tonight
Old 15-04-2011

If this helps, im exactily the same returning aftre 15+ years, bought a cougar SV pro and managed to get lipo set up and lrp speedo motor for it. Took advice from a friend still racing without a break. I too am close to Cladicott and my pop along tonight although still missing a couple of bits to race and its pay day Monday. Now ive been in the loft and dug out my origional rc10 and cat sw for vintage racing, ive got the bug already.

Cheers

Rich
Old 16-04-2011

Default re: ?esc

Thanks again for extra posts/advice. 9heers steve.......the truck was great fun...hopefully catch u later.
Old 16-04-2011

Me thinks your a bit of a ringer steve!!!
Old 18-04-2011

no [honestly] - I was surprised at how it went after so long away and with no disasters [I sure I'll have many many in future though]. I think your truck/setup really helped me. Can't wait to get the buggy sorted now - knew this would happen.
Cheers
Steve.