Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 27-11-2011

Default losi 22 v Centrio 4 v durango 210 v Ansmann c2c

I have decided to give 2wd a proper start/go next year, and shelve my TC stuff.

I have decided to go mid-mount motor. I have ruled out the cougar as I am jinxed with Schumacher cars.

I can race at Eden PArk, Hertford and Stotfold, as they are all reasonably close to me.

What are the pro's and cons of the cars?

I get the impression that both associated at Losi are easy to get spares for.

I get the impression that the Losi requires lots of mods to get it to be compeititive - is that right?

Please help me

I intend to purchase new - hate buying second hand, and not only that I will get a race/pro spec - simply coz I know I would be dis-satisfied otherwise
Old 27-11-2011
Mad Member

I'm running the x2c, and have to say its fantastic, car is so easy to drive. Very little to do to it. I change mine but almost always end up back on same setup. Have run it at what must be 15 meetings and not even done diff or shocks.

Think as a first time to off road its the safest bet with the least investment.

In terms off cons against the car..........I can't find any

There are a few things to change to make it bit more universal with other makes but very minimal.
Old 27-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
I get the impression that the Losi requires lots of mods to get it to be compeititive - is that right?
No - not in my opinion. But then I am biased to the TLR offering

There are mods that can be done to any car. There are option parts that can enhance strength and/or visual appeal but the 22 is no more prone to this than many others out there.

Strength-wise, the 22 is one of the toughest cars on the grid - but again, I'm sure others will have tales of woe.

It can be edgy to drive but it can also be very fast. Others will point out that they haven't found it to be the easiest car on the grid to drive. Probably true - but that also depends on how you drive it and what you are assessing it for.

The point I'm getting round to is that you'll get a lot of personal opinions from racers here. Some will be sponsored by the brand they are (currently) promoting and others may not have gotten on well with certain brands - but that doesn't make those brands bad - and neither does it diss the experiences that those people have had.

But it does make it difficult to distinguish whats-what on a forum

If you're local to EPR, Herts and Stotfold, why not go down to one or more of them and get a feel for the numbers been raced and speak to real owners - both at the front of the grid and the back. Trackside setup assistance, emergency spares and help is worth far more than the 0.1second per lap that the current best thing since sliced bread will (claim to) offer you.

HTH
Old 27-11-2011

I think you're in the same situation as I was about 2 months ago. I wanted to start racing again and didn't know what to go for. The thing you have to understand I believe is that 90% is the driver himself the car probably isn't the most important thing! I did as Gnarly just said and went to my local track and asked people what the were racing, how they liked it, what the pros and cons were. Some people were racing the Losi 22 others the B4.1 as well as Durangos and one Ansmann. Not one car stood out above the others. The drivers did however! So my advice would be to go to your local track, find a friendly face and get some opinions track side. Also ask at your LHS and see if there are any racers there who can steer you in the right direction. In the end I went for the B4.1 with the intention of eventually upgrading to the Centro. As I got some good advice from people at the track and my LHS.

I just need to finish building the thing now!
Old 27-11-2011

How about the X6? Strong, simple and gets the job done

Tons of set up information, easy to drive and great spares back up from DMS
Old 27-11-2011

Default the reason for my choice

I hought about the X6, but that requires a donor car - there again so does the associated.

One thing I like about the look of the Durango is that it can take stick pack lipo's - that means I can save money on purchasing LIPO's, whereas the Losi has the advantage of a lot of trackside support and is supposed to be built like a tank.

Both these cars appear to have the advantage of having interchangeable layout.

It's very confusing.

With touring cars - it's a case of which colour do you want? I personally use a T3'11 coz they are built like a tank. Much the same with 1/12 where it is the tyres that make the difference

With 2wd off-road the cars do look a fair bit different.

Is it like TC and 1/12 - all being down to the tyres, shock and diff building?
Old 27-11-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

X6 takes a stick pack

Nortech is ACE!
Old 27-11-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to trevpotter

Totally agree with James

X6 is a great car, easy to set up, very strong, easily available spares, lots of room for speedo etc and loads of hop up parts if required.
Old 27-11-2011

Yup an X6 would require a donor B4, as would a Centro or Vega so that would need to come into the equasion when it comes to making the decision. Quite rightly though the X6 is still an extremely competitive car & backup is second to non

Personally I'd go with the Durango, I run a 410 already so I'm familiar with the brand & know plenty of folk who run them so no problems when it comes to setup & should I have a problem.

Lots of good platforms out there, plenty of choice! Best bet would be to see what the guys at your local clubs are running and get talking to them, as well as giving their insight into the cars, after you've chosen your route they will also help you to no end once you're up & running
Old 27-11-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
I hought about the X6, but that requires a donor car
Complete kit if I'm not mistaken

X6 Squared EC - 2wd competition spec off road buggy kit / XFK021. Check out DMS Racing
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 27-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have an X6, a Losi 22 and now a Durango 210.

Obviously the 210 is still new, so I'm still undecided as I've only run it indoors. I saw them run at the oOple race and they looked awesome outdoors...

Anyway, X6 is the easiest to drive, always feels grippy and safe.
Losi 22 was a nightmare to get going really well, was good though on the right track. I found it only went really well with new tyres outdoors.

Im unsure about the Centro, as it always looked to me like it would end up bending the chassis, and now this is the topic of much debate.

If I didn't have a 2WD and I could walk into a shop and buy just one car, I'd go for the Vega (the B4.1 flavoured one) problem is getting hold of one can take ages.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 27-11-2011

I do like the Vega's, one major plus is that you have a chioce of 3 donor cars for the platform. And the quality of the conversion - Wow!

But I'd probably look at the overall cost, and for the 210 I'd sway more towards that if I looked to go 2wd again...
Old 27-11-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
I have an X6, a Losi 22 and now a Durango 210.

Obviously the 210 is still new, so I'm still undecided as I've only run it indoors. I saw them run at the oOple race and they looked awesome outdoors...

Anyway, X6 is the easiest to drive, always feels grippy and safe.
Losi 22 was a nightmare to get going really well, was good though on the right track. I found it only went really well with new tyres outdoors.

Im unsure about the Centro, as it always looked to me like it would end up bending the chassis, and now this is the topic of much debate.

If I didn't have a 2WD and I could walk into a shop and buy just one car, I'd go for the Vega (the B4.1 flavoured one) problem is getting hold of one can take ages.
2 in stock at the moment Shilly...

http://www.teamxtreme.co.uk/store/in...roducts_id=405

you know you want to.
Old 27-11-2011
Mad Member

The x2c is a good car, easy to set up and drive.

I've not run a 210 yet but will be soon. It seems like a good solid car.

The x6 requires you to dremel several parts, however it is a proven car.

If you go for a vega, you should go for the kyosho, as it seems to be the most favourable with a the team drivers.
Old 27-11-2011
Mad Member

Having been a long time X6 owner...I've just changed to a Centro...

Built it, put a rough set up on from the teams driver sheets, plus a few minor tweaks to better suit my driving style and car was instantly great fun, and felt easy to drive fast straight away! Got a very good result with it at it's first event without any prior track time, which to me speaks volumes!

Always loved my X6, but to me the Centro feels more agile and alive without feeling loose or erratic (you do run it much lighter than the X6)...totally loved it!

It's not as 'polished' a kit as the losi or the durango will be, but then is a much lower production volume conversion kit, so that is always going to be the case.

Yes there is some concern over the chassis strength, but it's a new car to the public and I'm sure CML will have that under control. To me the chassis is ok, but could possibly do with an optional strengthening mod of some sort to make it more durable for the average Joe racer without massively compromising the performance of it...more racing and more drivers will always throw up new challenges from the initial testing, it's how CML deal with it that will be the test, and the signs are good.

I have no worries being a Centro owner anyway, it just makes me smile driving it!

The losi to me looks trickier to set up, and the durango is also very new...but does look to have great potential, and is unquestionably a great value kit!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 27-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
2 in stock at the moment Shilly...

http://www.teamxtreme.co.uk/store/in...roducts_id=405

you know you want to.

Hmmm, might look into it, we all know that what it says on the site may not be accurate

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 27-11-2011
Mad Member

Oh and regarding the X6, I never found I needed a dremel with the latest X6 squared version...work perfectly straight out of the box, and a few additional hop ups made it perform better still. Tons of setup info and support available so no real issues with a new one of those either

The earlier (non squared) versions did need a fair bit of fettling from what I've been told though!

I will always have a soft spot for X factory...hard working small family business that punches well beyond it's financial means when compared to the competition!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 27-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to Ashalak

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Hmmm, might look into it, we all know that what it says on the site may not be accurate
To save you a few pennies on the phone call I did contact and ask the same question only last Friday and unfortunately they didn't have any in, they did however say that Rudebits did - So if you did want one you should get one there
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Totally disagree. IMHO - the Losi was the first car that I've ever owned that I was totally pleased with it in fit and finish, and didn't feel the need to modify or tweak on it all day during its first out.
But, like literally any car on the market, there are going to be those that feel the need to do endless mods to their cars in hopes of making the car make up for their lack of skill behind the sticks - and I think it's also why you see some "car-of-the-month" chaps changing rides in search of an elusive .10th of a second a lap so as to keep up with the naturally talented drivers (and blaming their own shortcomings on a car), and that's where it comes down to the old expression "you can take a trash truck driver and stick them in a Ferrari and they'll still drive it like a trash truck" - meanwhile the talented lads can drive anything and make it get around marvelously."

To me - I always try to advise people to get whatever has the best parts support at your local hobby shop (if you do end up needing spares), and if you're buying online it really doesn't matter.
If you have the opportunity see if your mates will allow you to take a couple of laps with their various brands, so you can get a bit of a feel for how they drive - but ultimately make a decision and stick with it, and be willing to work on your car's set-up so it works for you and your driving style.

It's less about the brand than it is about your skill - but if you rely too heavily on others' advice, you'll find your own car handing and finishing in the finals as poorly as their own.
Old 27-11-2011

Coming from TC into the 2wd world is massive and my opinion is that the 22 is so easy to drive and balanced.. the standard kit is all you need! I have the Akula conversion and didnt find it any better... The biggest thing is JUMPS and unpredictable movements from the car!!! PRO'S are:-- its more fun and s**t loads cheaper