Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to jaysllim
Default wtf

How come nearly every for sale ad i read it says "buyer pays fee's or pay as gift". Who should be really paying for the fee's the seller or the buyer? Are they sellers fee's or buyers fees? I really dont get it. Aint trying to rock the boat but ur selling the item so shouldnt u incorparete it into your price,wouldnt that be easier?
Old 21-02-2013

They are paypal fees nothing to do with the buyer or the seller. Fees tagged on by the 3rd party we have to include in the transactions. I think its only right that if people are given a choice they can either cover the fees or pay as gift. I encourage people to pay me by gift as it saves me money, and I'm not a complete douchbag who'll screw people out of their gear. This is proven by my feedback. It also means people pay the price i ask, not a little more to cover the fees.

I see your point, but its not that simple. Best way is meet up and pay using cash. Simples, but not always possible.

M2P

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 21-02-2013

Tbh comes down to how much I trust the seller /want the product or how cheap it is.

I normally try and negotiate the price down by half the fee but then if I'm getting a good deal to begin with (surely the only reason your using the seller) or if its a hard to come by product ill just pay the fees.

If with fees price only ads to a few pennies cheaper than a shop on the other hand I prefer to have the comeback from a shop.

IMO it's the sellers responsibility to price their product at a competitive rate (including fees) or people just won't buy. Comes down to if the buyer still thinks its a good deal :/

That's my pennies worth on the thought.
Old 21-02-2013

From my professional opinion from working within PayPal I would never pay for an item via paypal as a "gift" payment because this means that the buyer waives all rights to PayPal's buyer's protection policies.

This means that if the item doesn't arrive, isn't what was described or is damaged, by using "gift" payment option you have no come back via PayPal. As the buyer protection policy is a key reason for using PayPal I would be very adverse to making payments that aren't covered by it.

The fees are generally accepted as being picked up by the seller because they are the one trying to make money through the convenience of using PayPal as a payment method, so sellers are usually advised to price their products accordingly to include the fees expected.

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 21-02-2013
Mad Member

Default fees

Paypal charge for the use of there service, simple.

Gift payments are fine if you know the seller or there feedback is excellent etc etc as no comeback if it goes missing bla bla(send recorded of course).

Pay the fees if your unsure etc, there is comeback/protection of sorts.

I have done many sales and normally i include the paypal fees if its only a cheap(few quid) item.

On a car its more like a 5'r, so depending who is buying/selling, its really up to them if they accept the fees as a discount/loss or insist on them being paid buy the buyer.

Old school sales, like send a chq, wait 5 days for it to clear after being paid in and then send the goods are really just out dated now.
paypal immediate and a bit like accepting a debit payment without being ashop etc, So its ideal for transactions. The fees are not much really, so I advice always pay paypal normal unless you know the seller. Simple.

Paypal payments are just easier than anything else now. Accept we get charged. and either pay them or dont. Its the modern way.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 21-02-2013

whats more confusing is find in the sales area is people selling stuff

1, used @ brand new RRP price
2, listed as brand new only used 6times

ive sold a fair bit and i leave it up to the buyer to choose to pay or not.. but personally if i was buying i always pay fees unless its a top seller/ cheapo item..

had some trouble in the past where a seller didnt ship and didnt refund (aka robbed) i got my money back eventually as some one stepped in and paid his debt but really it was my fault for gifting in the first place

again its a small minority that spoil it for others.
Old 21-02-2013
Mad Member

I always include the fees in the price and I let the buyer know that. Keeps everyone right at the end of the day.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 21-02-2013

Thank u for clearing tha up for me guys.as i say i wasnt trying to rock the boat,more just trying to get to grips with fees thing as i read wa paypal said it was but wasnt wholey sure i undertood it.so thank again for clearing it up.

Jay
Old 21-02-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Most people know my feeling of paypal "gift"... but I'll let you al know again anyway.
If I were paypal I would remove the "gift" option. Why should they provide a service and not get paid for it?
It makes me laugh when people include postage in the price, then ask for fee's on top... generally the fee's are a fraction of the postage! How many people actually know how to calculate the fee's? How much do you think they are on a £30 item? Here is a prime example:
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122707
Absolutely no disrespect to this seller intended, but the fee's here are £1.22. The postage in that box is at least double!

As a side note... if anybody, even those with good trader feedback, list only paypal "gift" as payment, I will edit the post to add the with fee's price. It is reasonable to expect buyers to have the option to protect themselves.
Old 21-02-2013
Mad Member

I also personally think the gift option should be removed...or at least not allowed for the selling of 2nd hand items on here (or anywhere for that matter!). It's not what 'gifting' is intended for!

As the seller you hold all the cards! You want the money, quickly and easily, and you have the goods....then you make a deal, take a payment through a business that is legitimately and fairly charging you for that service as you have no means of getting that money directly yourself...and then...you have the money from the buyer too!

At this point what does the buyer have? Absolutely NOTHING!!! They are carrying all the risk!!! Why should they?

You are a seller...think shop...shops charge a price for the things they sell that includes the cost of the item, and any banking/operational cost's, postage, etc. IMO, we should do the same here...

If your selling an item, tell the buyer the price you want, that covers all these things. The paypal fee's are only small, figure them out and add them yourself to the money you want without mentioning it. It is after all just a part of the cost of the quick and convenient transaction you want. Do the leg work yourself as the person who needs and wants the money.

This way, you get the right money for your item, the buyer gets the protection of the payment system as they carrying all the risk in the transaction, and everyone ends up happy, with the right amount of money where it should be, goods where they should be, and no daft threads on forums about being ripped off and not being able to do anything about it!

...and relax...sorry
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 21-02-2013

The gift option was a dantastic tool for me to pay back a loan to my parents before things like pingit etc without me having to go to a cash point pull the cash them go back down and deposite it so on those grounds there is a reason for gift.

As mentioned it was never intended as a purchasing tool hence no protection so use it wisely.
Old 21-02-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post
Pinky speaking sense
Total agreement pal.

For those with enough decency to pay for the services they use, here is a fee calculator: http://tutv.co.uk/fresh/bitsandpieces/paypalcost.php
Old 21-02-2013

Well done on taking a breath at the end andy lol reading wa u wrote is how i was looking at things but as i said i didnt no enough about the fees (why there there/who pays/and when they apply) to comment or bring the matter up and explain the matter as u and col have. U do bring up a gd point though about implementing the idea of putting the fee/p&p in the grand total the seller whants for the item.

Ill b the first to admit that i have never sold a item at all on here but have bought abit.nd its a pain in the bum negotiating the price down (in sum cases) because when u add the p&p+fees on top ov the asking a price(i no the fees are often minimal) ur paying abit more than u intendid/want/ should pay for said item.

As others have said m2p
Old 21-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The buyer protection is all well and good until you deal with some ar*e wipe who has decided that your used item should be in new condition. He puts in an unreasonable dispute, gets refunded, you lose the money and your item.

I think that new members or those without previous feedback shouldn't be allowed to use gift payment as an option. I guess that would be difficult to police though. As for feeling pity for PayPal missing out on these fees, well, if you're a regular on eBay like i am then you feel you are paying plenty in fees already.
Any opportunity to not pay I will take.

There are dozens of dealings carried out on here weekly. Almost all go smoothly. The ones that go bad get a high profile. You need to remove any rose tinted glasses, if a deal looks too good to be true, it likely is. Always send recorded. Always ask for items you buy to be sent recorded.

I give people the choice, 95% decide to gift. I always send recorded to cover both me as a seller and the buyer too.

See My Feedback

Old 22-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Honest and genuine question ... why pay by "gift"?

Whenever I have paid by gift I've always been charged the same fee as if I use the "personal payment owed" option.

Is it because I always keep my paypal balance at zero and/or don't have my bank account listed as a primary payment option?

Genuinely never looked into how you are supposed to work it to your best advantage!
Old 22-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That's right roger - if your balance is zero when you try to send a gift the fee still has to be paid.
From balance then no fee
Old 22-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Honest and genuine question ... why pay by "gift"?

Whenever I have paid by gift I've always been charged the same fee as if I use the "personal payment owed" option.

Is it because I always keep my paypal balance at zero and/or don't have my bank account listed as a primary payment option?

Genuinely never looked into how you are supposed to work it to your best advantage!
If you are using a credit card as your back up then you as a buyer get charged for transactions when using 'gift', plus you could get charged as a cash withdrawal from credit card company so it will work out a more expensive transaction.
Old 22-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
you could get charged as a cash withdrawal from credit card company so it will work out a more expensive transaction.
its not charged as a cash withdrawal that’s only when you use a ATM.
just goes as a normal web transaction
Old 22-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigbunt View Post
its not charged as a cash withdrawal that’s only when you use a ATM.
just goes as a normal web transaction
Obviously depends on your card company which is why i said 'could', i get charged with mine
Old 22-02-2013
Mad Member

It's a bit of a pill on larger purchases ie £300-£500 but if you don't trust who your buying from its a good insurance but the seller needs to be PayPal certified to be 100'%

http://budsballs.co.uk