Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Cool Me, Me, Me. A guide to what I might want from an RC. [Please help!]

So, I want an RC car. Truck, buggy - you'll have to forgive me on the lingo. For the moment, anyway. :P I'm new to all this.

Knowing no-one who's into the hobby, a bit of 'research' lead me to the Traxxas Rustler VXL. Seems rugged, quickish, fun, something that I can mess about with in the local rural areas, on't break too easily, etc, etc.

Or so I thought.

Turns out a mate at work used to race Touring Cars in his youth. And win. Whilst walking past my machine, he sees the modelsport website up, has a "moment"and promptly talks RC for the rest of the day. He says I need a nitro buggy. I tell him to forget the nitro bit. We come to a compromise, and I'm sent to look at Team Associated. And, seemingly, the transition from toy to tool.

Now, these buggys look cool, but seemingly - from the uneducateds point of you - primarily for race/competition, rather than messing about. Or do I have this wrong? I'm not looking to race. Well, not yet, anyway. I just want something fun, that'll deal with tarmac, dirt, gravel, speed bumps - a real 'all-rounder' appeal. Do buggies cope well with this kind of useage, or are they better suited to 'track' indoor use rather than non-race usage?

Before I start looking at specific models in a particular 'style', I need to work out which kinda RC is going to be best suited to me.

I love the cheeky appeal of the 1/16-1/18 micro trucks, especially with some bonkers brushless power, but I'm not too sure how they cope with off road stuff.

Anyway; buggies. Race machines, or all around abuse takers at the hands of the unskilled?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-03-2008
Chequered Flag Racing's Avatar
Chequered Flag Racing Chequered Flag Racing is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In Early Retirment
Posts: 5,994
Default

were do live?

there maybe a club near to you that you could visit to help you in your quest to take up a great hobby
__________________
o0ple Trader Feedback
NE Venue's New & Old
my space on YouTube
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Default

I live in Barnet, which is in Sunny Hertfordshire/North London.
I work in Harlow, which is just about in Essex.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-03-2008
jimmy's Avatar
jimmy jimmy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 10,047
Blog Entries: 6
Default

If you want a much about, then something a bit bigger than the micro stuff will at least allow you to drive it on some rough ground / grass etc. I don't really think Nitro is that ideal for someone getting into it, they need more looking after and can be frustrating to start and maintain if you're not that 'into' it.
Never owned a traxxas vehicle but the rustler is probably one that'd suit you well. For mucking about a 2wd buggy or truck would be a good idea. 4WD buggys are great but there's more to go wrong - so that's up to you.
I had loads of RC's when I was younger, but I got a tamiya m03 mini a few years ago (around 2000) and played with that for ages, it was awesome and I still have it. Then I bought a losi 2wd buggy used off ebay in 2002 with the intention of just mucking about with it in the woods. It was such a nice buggy that I decided to go try race it and here I am now - not much better! haha.

Anyway, there's loads of choices around, some better for racing, some better for play - just depends what you think you'll want most.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-03-2008
jim76 jim76 is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ruislip
Posts: 2,890
Default

Living in barnet, your local club would be DMS based near j21A on the M25.
www.modelcarclub.co.uk for info on the club. Worth popping down one evening (thursday is race night) to see what these things can do in a race environment. Racing them against others is far more fun than just bashing in a park on your own.

Darren runs the club and he also owns DMS racing, a shop not far from the track. Pop in one day and have a chat with him, he's really helpful and will advise you of something suitable. He also stocks all the spares for them.
__________________
4wd - X4TE
2wd - X2C (Mad Rat passed down to son!)

Ansmann Racing UK


RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-03-2008
AmiSMB AmiSMB is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I live in Barnet, which is in Sunny Hertfordshire/North London.
I work in Harlow, which is just about in Essex.
There is a very large 1/8th club which is the Herts Model Club which has a track at Westmill Farm, Ware, SG12 0ES. They have a race meeting on this Sunday. I would recommend that you pop over and have a look and see if you really do not want to race
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-03-2008
JCJC's Avatar
JCJC JCJC is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oxon
Posts: 1,663
Default

Well Bubbles, I guess for pucker 10th clubs you have Stotfold up the A1 near Baldock or DMS in Watford.

Stotfold one evening & Sundays, all Buggys, outside on astro, no need to be intimidated,
web at: http://www.stotfoldmcc.co.uk/www/
Local shop at: http://www.theraceplace.co.uk/

DMS run one evening -some electric buggys- other times nitro
web at: http://www.modelcarclub.co.uk/index.php?
Shop at: http://www.dms-racing.com/

Worth your while to pop up to Stotfold one Sunday & into the DMS & Raceplace shops, both would have a good selection of buggys from Associated, the Associated B4 2 wheel drive RTR, (ready to run) may be a good place to start

Looks like we are duplicating posts, what service !!

Last edited by JCJC; 28-03-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add note
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Default

Fantastic - A41 near Watford is only a short drive away, for DMS. Will pop along and see what all the fuss is about! :P

I must say, at first glance, and going on my work-friends suggestions, the B44 seems current pick. It's a kit, which is partly scary - I can just about master Lego Technic - but in theory a good move, given that after I've built it, maintenance/repairing should be easier, and less daunting. And I figure there's a few patient folk out there who could help me along.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
the Associated B4 2 wheel drive RTR, (ready to run) may be a good place to start

Looks like we are duplicating posts, what service !!


Assuming the B4 is a 2WD variant of the B44?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28-03-2008
JCJC's Avatar
JCJC JCJC is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oxon
Posts: 1,663
Default

Yea, learning already, much simpler only rear wheels driven, lots about, every other driver has one, lots of advice and easy to get spares, some secondhand in the for sale section. Look around before buying, this can be a costly hobby. There is also a 10th Touring Club in Hillingdon.

(our purple one as an avitar)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28-03-2008
josh_smaxx's Avatar
josh_smaxx josh_smaxx is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: If im online, chances are im at a computer
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post


Assuming the B4 is a 2WD variant of the B44?
Sort of but other way round, the B44 came after the B4, they share a few parts but dont really look the same at all. Both very good cars though, not world champions for nothing
__________________
Canon 40D (350D backup) - EF-S 18-55 - EF-S 17-85 - EF 100-300 - EF 50 - Canon 430 EX || Speedlite - Canon BG-E2N Grip
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended
AX-10 Crawler - Thats all I have left!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28-03-2008
josh_smaxx's Avatar
josh_smaxx josh_smaxx is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: If im online, chances are im at a computer
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
Yea, learning already, much simpler only rear wheels driven, lots about, every other driver has one, lots of advice and easy to get spares, some secondhand in the for sale section. Look around before buying, this can be a costly hobby. There is also a 10th Touring Club in Hillingdon.
You should delete the last sentence
__________________
Canon 40D (350D backup) - EF-S 18-55 - EF-S 17-85 - EF 100-300 - EF 50 - Canon 430 EX || Speedlite - Canon BG-E2N Grip
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended
AX-10 Crawler - Thats all I have left!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28-03-2008
JCJC's Avatar
JCJC JCJC is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oxon
Posts: 1,663
Default

I know, but......... and that waggy tongue smilie is busy today, you will learn Bubbles - Boring Cars in Hillingdon........


look at the reviews on this site, building the ZX-5 would be close to building the B44, the B44 has only just been produced and is thought to be good value, lots of carbon fiber etc.......
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Default

Well, I find the B4 as asthetically pleasing as a Daewoo Matiz, but each to their own. But then, good doesn't always equal pretty. Look at Wayne Rooney! :P

I see there's a RTR version, too, which seemingly is a nice way into the hobby. Yet, all I see is people upgrading, upgrading, upgrading. Better to start off with a better, kit built base than RTR?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
this can be a costly hobby
Name a hobby that doesn't end up that way!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 28-03-2008
jim76 jim76 is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ruislip
Posts: 2,890
Default

you can probably pick up a decent second hand starter package on here or ebay. To kit yourself out with a new B4 and all the electrics and batteries to race at a club would set you back £400-500 pounds, or more if you want top of the line kit.
As a beginner you wouldn;t want all the power of new batteries and fast brushless motors, you're better off with some second hand cells etc.

If you like the hobby and pick it up easily then upgrade as your ability improves
__________________
4wd - X4TE
2wd - X2C (Mad Rat passed down to son!)

Ansmann Racing UK


RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 28-03-2008
Bubbles Bubbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Barnet, Herts.
Posts: 7
Default

Yeah - I think I've just looked at the 'best' and assumed that's what I'd need. Of course, I woudn't be any quicker with a £50 ToysRUs car, let alone a factory team car.

Just read this: http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/b4wife/ Aside from the snazzy paintjob, looks ideal. I don't have to put the best bits on it. Indeed. I could buy second hand cells, motor, etc, etc, 'till the hobby takes a hold of me. Still thinking a kit would be better for me to learn the build/maintenance process.

If I do race, so long as I'm enjoying driving the car, last is fine with me.

:edit: Or ge tthe B4 RTR package, which is a reasonable price, and use that for now, and take things futher, if need be.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28-03-2008
jimmy's Avatar
jimmy jimmy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 10,047
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Racing is great fun mate - even if you don't like the look of a b4 (its 'ok' but I like old buggies miself ) if you get it on a track then it's not really important.
I had my first race in 2002 and been addicted since.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28-03-2008
Spoolio Spoolio is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Notts
Posts: 1,083
Send a message via AIM to Spoolio
Default

I have a B4 which I race and I sometimes use it for mucking about on the street/park with too. It seems fine and the important thing is that bits for B4s are readily available and fairly cheap. The only vulnerable bits are the front arms and shock towers - if you visit a race meeting and see the abuse they take you'll see the odd trundle round a park is nothing.

Having said that, I'd be cautious of using a B44 for general bashing as while its more than capable, its also got more to go wrong and is much more of a specialised tool. I guess its kind of the same as saying you could use a Citroen C4 WRC car to get the shopping in at Tesco, but you wouldn't would you? Sledgehammer/nut and all that. BUT, if you then decided to go racing that's a different matter of course - B44s are plentiful and there's lots of advice to go round. I'm not sure how many race Traxxas' but I'd guess it's not many.

Do you feel more comfortable with sticks or a steerwheel controller? The B4 RTR RS comes with a steerwheel, so if you'd need to change that I'd recommend instead starting with a B4 Team kit (Factory Team if you are serious) and chucking some used radio gear and electrics at it, with perhaps a new motor. You may also pick up a good "little used" one on ebay, they come up quite often. That way you'll have a good car for minimal outlay and if you take to it you can always spend a little more if necessary on improvements.

At the end of the day you make your choice based on your own personal circumstances but as Jimmy says, racing can be addictive so watch out. I did my first race in September 2007 and I wouldn't dream of just messing about in the park now - it seems really boring.

Happy hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 29-03-2008
Belsten's Avatar
Belsten Belsten is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 2,495
Default

You wont regret starting this hobby. Dont get me wrong, it can be incredibly frustrating at times when either bashing or racing. But hey, what hobby isnt ? You will get a large amount of satisfaction from the challenges you face. What makes this hobby stand out from anything else is the people that do it. You will never be short of friendly faces and people more than happy to help. Irrespective of money or talent Money does not equal success here
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com