Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24-02-2008
FERRETTI's Avatar
FERRETTI FERRETTI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North East England
Posts: 270
Question Please give me a clue

OK here's a real oldie asking a real noobie question. If there is already a thread somewhere here that covers this please just direct me to it.

So here's the problem, I'm slowly being attracted back to the racing scene after some 7 years away (I haven't even really visited a club in that time) I'm looking for some general info regarding the spec of equipment I will need to start again. I don't want to get into a "what's the best manufacture" discussion just some examples and golden rules to aim at.

I will only be able to race during the winter months as I have too many summer hobbies, I would like to race in a well supported indoor class (I'm hoping 4wd buggy will fit this description as that's what I fancy) I live in the North East and I'm happy to travel as far south as Teesside and as far north as Morpeth ish.

Historically I was never a regional A finalist but I would have been disappointed not to hit the C so if I can get back to that sort of level it will do me.

So here's what I would like to know,

what do I need:-

Batteries (type and how many) / suitable charger (some model/manufacturer ideas would be good here)
Radio Gear (I was always a wheel man in the past)
Brushed or brush less (and what spec)
and any additional info I should consider

and finally I'm going to have to budget so how much more is it going to cost me over and above the £300 ish I spend on the car (the answer to this will determine how many arm's I'm going to have to sell)

Thanks in advance for any info and help.
__________________
If you're living within your means you don't have enough imagination.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-02-2008
markwilliamson2001's Avatar
markwilliamson2001 markwilliamson2001 is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ledbury, Herefordshire
Posts: 1,889
Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001
Default

Definately brushless motors and speedo's. Make sure you get sensored if you are running in 10th off-road, (although the Tekin speedo's are getting more popular). Try LRP/Nosram or the Novak GTB for speedo's and sintered motors (they run cooler and have much stronger braking, Novak and Orion/Peak are sintered as standard).

Batteries are up in the air at them moment, but if you wanted to start cheaply, you might be able to get some GP3300's or 3700's to start (although these won't be legal for BRCA Nationals this year, (unless they are unmatched sport packs). You will need to look at the electric board list to find out 2008 legal packs for nationals. See BRCA website.

If you are running at club level, then you may be interested in some Li-Po packs, since they are more efficient and can be topped up between races (good idea for club nights). Li-Po packs are not BRCA legal for 10th off-road as of yet, (so no use at regionals or nationals) although it seems likely they will be voted in for 2009. Li-po packs also do not need assembling, but make sure you get one with a hard case (Reedy/Orion/Trakpower seem the most popular at the moment).

HTH
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-02-2008
antnee's Avatar
antnee antnee is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,062
Default

GP3700's will be legal to use this year, its as of next year its solely whats on the list
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-02-2008
chris68nufc chris68nufc is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,870
Default

Theres a cracking off road club(some tourers aswell) which run on a Tuesday night at Jarrow High school. The standard of drivers is getting better and better every week and is full of experienced drivers that will be able to give you the best advice you need.
Speedo/motors.I would recommend going for a Brushless system for maintenance reasons alone but since some teething problems at the start i believe they are great. I run LRP speedo with Novak motor as the LRPs arent(in my experience) as reliable as the Novaks.
Cells. You can get cheap cells from loads of places but like mentioned above we are currently looking at trying Li-po cells. Im a newbie to these and not sure how well they will work with our race schedule.
Tyres. We are currently using anything from new mini pins to used full spikes. Anything works.
Come along and have a look. This coming week is our Club Championship night which i am leading
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-02-2008
FERRETTI's Avatar
FERRETTI FERRETTI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North East England
Posts: 270
Default

Thank you all for the info, I think I will try and get myself along to Jarrow High school next Tuesday night and see what secrets I can uncover
__________________
If you're living within your means you don't have enough imagination.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com