Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > South West

Old 17-11-2012
Mad Member

Default South West regionals in 2013...and 4wd!!!

Hi all,

Following Tivertons amazingly well supported AGM a few weeks ago I just wanted to follow up and let those who didin't attend know a little about the chat we had there about SW regionals in 2013.

I can only speak for WORM in any official capacity, so anything else about the BRCA/other clubs/etc is all TBC at this stage! I hope the guys at Tiverton who organise this stuff normally don't mind me posting, I just wanted to share the good news as soon as possible!

In principal, the following was talked about...

The series is going to be renamed from SWORDS to South West Regionals. Mainly because the SWORDS name has been taken on by the nitro guys these days, so it'd be useful to distinguish ourselves a little from that and relaunch the region going forward since there is so much renewed interest!

That renewed interest comes in the form of the huge turnout during 2012, and 2 extra clubs who have already expressed an interest in hosting rounds in 2013.

So, the 4 clubs who could potentially be holding regional events this year are...

Tiverton
West Cornwall
WORM
Torbay (subject to new track completion)

I think that is right!?!?

The massive number of 2wd entries in 2012 were discussed, and so was the addition of a 4wd class that will also count towards license grades in future years.

The decision was made that any clubs wishing to host 4wd regional rounds in 2013 can do so, and will nominate separate race meetings to 2wd to count as 4wd regional rounds.

So each club could host 2wd and 4wd rounds of the South West Regionals in 2013. And those classes will run on different days, keeping entries (and race days schedules!) to a sensible level, and allowing everyone to focus properly on each class, rather than mixing your racing on 1 day.

The numbers were also discussed, as 4wd has traditionally been a lower attended class in the region. I would personally love to see 4wd featuring in the region more, I love 4wd racing, it's a very different skill to 2wd, no less skillful, and actually far better suited to the mixed surface and grip levels that our UK clubs and weather dish out....(it's easily the best class to drive around WORM at the moment on our slightly sandy surface ), and I would love to see it included.

So....in the way of getting the ball rolling, WORM already has been and will always run 4wd heats alongside it's 2wd heats on it's club race days, and will definitely be hosting a 4wd regional round in 2013.

On that basis, who in the region would like to enter a 4wd class if it was available?

Who has 4wd's already...and who doesn't but would if it's catered for properly?

Is there anything the host clubs could do to help get the ball rolling with 4wd a bit more?

Getting everyone involved and thinking about it would help get some momentum behind it I think, and make for a really good competitive class of racing in the coming year
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 25-11-2012

Send a message via MSN to ryan

I didnt manage to attend the AGM, sounds like the you guys managed to get the ball rolling for 4wd!

I personally think a 4wd regional series could be well attended if it was a on a dedicated day as suggested, instead of being shared with 2wd.

Im sure it would have a great turn out, there are alot guys who run in the south west that own 4wd's, but dont have the chance to run them regularly. Maybe it will interest a few people who dont already have them if there was a 4wd series.

Im really looking forward to next years regionals, with the new clubs and a 4wd on the cards it should be really good!
Old 03-12-2012

Nice little write up Andy.

I'm in
Old 10-02-2013

Is their any news on this years regionals?
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 19-02-2013

guys have we got dates / clubs set in stone yet .. as it would be great to know soon so wkends can be booked of work
thanks in advance
lee
Old 19-02-2013
Mad Member

WORM are just in the process of confirming our summer dates, as soon as that is done we'll do our best to get regional dates decided too.

Hopefully in the next week or so!

On a personal note I'm also keen to get my summers racing sorted too!

Looking forward to some fun in the South West this year
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 20-02-2013
Mad Member

It's a real shame the South West can't get some thing sorted ( this is not a dig )
This technically is my region but I do the Mid-South as clubs are all ready set and booked !!

I remember doing this region when Tiverton held meetings !!

Do we have any updates
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 20-02-2013
Mad Member

Tiverton are all set and booked already for this year, as they are every year...and are very much a busy and active club...their forum thread on here isn't as busy as the club is by a long shot, as most of the SW racers don't actively post on oOple!

...as far as I know it's only us that are lagging, and mostly because I've been somewhat distracted by stuff going on at home at that same time as we should be planning our dates, but we're a matter of days away from publicising ours now!

The SW region is still relatively small compared to other regions...so not as many people around, but suffice to say, the region is here, busy enough for some great racing and growing...even if there is a little bit of lag to other bigger regions!
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 20-02-2013
Mad Member

ok chaps, i look forward to an update
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 20-02-2013

Fingers crossed, there will be more drivers in the region too
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 21-02-2013

Hi guys, I've been racing 1/8 elec for a few years but recently I've had a go at 1/10(torbay indoors winter series) I've really enjoyed it and would like to have a go at the SW regionals. I've got a couple of questions, will I need a pt, the clubs I race 1/8 are still using analogue handouts so I've never needed one, can I use my turnigy lipos, are there control tyres? Anything else I need to know lol
Old 21-02-2013

Hi
Most clubs have pt's you can borrow.
Tyres are nominated by the hosting club. But are usually schumacher or ballistic buggy minispikes in any compound on the rear axle. In the BRCA championship this is the rule for 4wd as well but TBC for the southwest regionals. In the dry yellow compound with schumacher tyres and for the wet green ballistics.
Not sure about the lipo's you need to check the brca list and the southwest regional website. A link to this can be on oople.

Cheers Paul

2014 & 2013 BRCA 4WD 1/10 Off Road Southwest Regional Champion
1998 BRCA 1/10 IC Circuit British Champion
www.racing-cars.com/
WWW.WESTCOUNTRYRESORTS.CO.UK
WWW.TRCMCC.CO.UK
Old 02-03-2013
Mad Member

The rules the region applies is up to the the local committee...I know not all regions apply the full electric board, tyre and scrutineering rulings that the nationals do.

I've not heard of there being scrutineering at SW regionals so far, but would be interested to hear if they have done in the past?
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 02-03-2013
oOple Advertiser

I remember doing it when I first started at WORM when the swords round came to Weston. I do believe it was done at of clubs as well back then. Would be good to have it back but it is finding the people happy to do it on the day. I guess it would be down to the clubs involved to make the Decision on this as well as referees.

Team C Racing
Absima
Nuclear RC
DHR Paint
Phat Bodies
South West RC Ltd
Old 02-03-2013

i belive the dead line date for clubs to join the regional setup is the 4th
so have we any idea on which clubs yet ..
tiverton
weston ???
west cornwall ???
torbay ???
yatton ??? ... could be handy if torbay and yatton had rounds to mybe start or end the series and if the summer dose its usual and and throw sum wet stuff down those venues could come in handy

only my opinion guys and im sure chris and his team wont let us down...
lee
Old 02-03-2013
Mad Member

Weston are in...just awaiting news of which dates are ours!

As for scrutineering...I don't see the need at regional level, not in the SW anyway...it only alienates racers who haven't invested in the 'approved' kit, and doesn't stop the fast guys being the fast guys....it's not like the old days of good nicads and brushes meaning the difference between making 5 mins or not, etc, etc.

Keep the rules open, the club officials free to run relaxed meetings and the racing fun I say
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post

As for scrutineering...I don't see the need at regional level, not in the SW anyway...it only alienates racers who haven't invested in the 'approved' kit, and doesn't stop the fast guys being the fast guys....it's not like the old days of good nicads and brushes meaning the difference between making 5 mins or not, etc, etc.

Keep the rules open, the club officials free to run relaxed meetings and the racing fun I say

great news Andy

i think it would be good if driving standards were monitered at regionals tho ... same again it dose meen each club has to find sumone to do the job ...
Old 03-03-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Have you got track postcodes please Andy?
Old 04-03-2013
Mad Member

WORM is BS24 0AP...on google maps that actually takes you to the next big property along on the road...but is does pass our gate so you can't really miss it!

Tiverton is EX15 3TH...I have a feeling that also misses the venue sligthly...but suspect you'll been there before anyway at some point! It shares the Heazle riding centre venue anyway.

The only other clubs that might be going for rounds are West Cornwall and Torbay.

West Cornwall is TR14 0PN and is slightly further from me in Weston than it would be to go to Saundersfoot...roughly...so for you it'll be crazy miles!!! But I've heard good things about it...big open grass track on a cricket pitch field, and I think I heard you can camp down there too, so I plan to make a trip of it if and camp if they get dates!

Torbay...the last I'd heard they'd lost their outdoor track, and were trying to sort out an alternative site. Not heard anything on that since, so no idea if they are actually got that sorted and are going to regionals this year or not? Hoping so!

Hope all is good with you Andy, and the little'uns are keeping you busy
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 05-03-2013

On point as always Andy...well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post