Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25-02-2013
BORMAC's Avatar
BORMAC BORMAC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Coast, AUSTRALIA.
Posts: 693
Default Old School Losi's - all the way!

Here's my latest project/s. I've had these old Losi's a while now and an old mate of mine has inspired me to get some cars up and running.

It's been more than 20 years since my old pal raced with me back in the day and his last off roader was the JRX PRO. What more fitting way to re-introduce him than set up a couple of old Losi's for us to relive old times.

I have been collecting old radio gear, esc's, matched cells amd other odds and ends for a while now and my concept is to recreate these cars as they would have been all the way back when they were doing the circuit.

Sure, anyone can drop in a lipo, brushless and 2.4 radio set but that's been done many times before (even by me). This time I wanted to go all the way back and do it right!

Both cars have been rebuilt but I am still looking at finding a few peices that will complete these cars to a standard in which I will be happy with. The concept is not to make these cars competitive but rather set them up to make a reliable run or two for fun.

This far in I have a pair of Ko Propo EX5 29mhz AM radio sets, Ko Propo FET servos, Novak T4 esc's, 16x3 Revolution motor for the X2 and a Race Prep 14x2 for the PRO, matched Sanyo 1700 scrc cells, vintage 2.0" rubber and even Deans 4-pin connectors. Crazy i know but all this gear still works and after testing both cars they are suprisingly quick but also very smooth.

A few items are currently on order from sellers from across the globe and they will be replacing worn items to aid in reliability.

Please share your thoughts.





__________________
Vintage R/C nut.
Reliving all the good old days of r/c from the 80's and early 90's.
-Jason

***always on the hunt for vintage KO ESC's***
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-02-2013
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: .
Posts: 4,773
Default

I always liked these cars evan though i was more focussed on 4wd at the time and pity i never got one. Very nice
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-02-2013
BORMAC's Avatar
BORMAC BORMAC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Coast, AUSTRALIA.
Posts: 693
Default

I should really admit that I've had a soft spot for the JRX2 ever since it was first released all those years ago. I still remember the hype when it first hit the racing scene and all for good reason. The X2 was a real winner and compared to what was around on the track back then I always felt it was in a class of it's own. As a late teen I used to watch these cars tear around the track and they always seemed to be dialled.
While these cars are not complete I wanted to try and shoot some footage of the X2 with the Go Pro mounted a little way behind the car. I have shot a little footage but it really needs editing. The Go Pro shoots nice and clear and even though it was only used in my driveway (with my 2 year old son in tow) it was exciting to see the 5 link and front end working in plain view.
More to come :mrgreen:
__________________
Vintage R/C nut.
Reliving all the good old days of r/c from the 80's and early 90's.
-Jason

***always on the hunt for vintage KO ESC's***
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-02-2013
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: .
Posts: 4,773
Default

Mate it looks great, im drooling, I really liked these cars and used to race against them at club in Wales, Spooner and son had one and were really good and I almost bought one
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com