Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Exclamation How do I join

Hi I'm James and just recently bought the brand new caster racing s10b 4wd brushless car. I bought this car to go racing and ur club looked the best so when do I start or join
  #2  
Old 10-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

If I can and its a buggy buy the way
  #3  
Old 10-03-2013
paulc paulc is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hull
Posts: 1,848
Default

The car will be fine just turn up to a meeting and book in to race and ask Dianne about joining you will need a brca licence after you've done your first 3 meetings i think it is
__________________
Paul Crawford

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
  #4  
Old 10-03-2013
Aire valley's Avatar
Aire valley Aire valley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wharfedale
Posts: 966
Default

Just look at the Race Calendar for details of meetings... Next one at whitcliffe is on 24 March..come along, speak to Dianne at Race control and join in...
Driving safely and avoiding other cars of course !.
Speak to any member for advice...
  #5  
Old 10-03-2013
Oscar's Avatar
Oscar Oscar is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Yorkshire, England
Posts: 1,528
Default

This is a question often asked, anyone up for writing a "Beginners Guide" which I can upload to the club website??
__________________
  #6  
Old 10-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Oscar that's a great idea because I do not have a clue what to do and what's this licence
  #7  
Old 10-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Sorry about spamming questions but I'm really anxious how long do my battery or batteries need to last thought about buying 1 that lasts about a hour. Mine only lasts 20mins
  #8  
Old 11-03-2013
Danny Harrison's Avatar
Danny Harrison Danny Harrison is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,268
Default

A battery that lasts 20 min is more than enough bud. Each heat (race) lasts 5 minutes, you then marshal the next race (stand on track and put cars back on that crash). You have time to give your batteries a charge while your waiting for your next heat.


The BRCA license is like insurance you take out with the governing body for British radio control car racing. You can find out more about this when you come along.

I'll have a crack at doing a write up
  #9  
Old 11-03-2013
Oscar's Avatar
Oscar Oscar is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Yorkshire, England
Posts: 1,528
Default

I think if you can make it along to a club meeting, most of your questions will be answered easily

Racing is as follows. You start off with rounds of qualifying "heats" where the only thing you are racing is the clock. Each heat is 5 minutes long so you will need a battery that lasts around 6 minutes just to be safe. After your heat you "marshal" the next heat (retrieve any stuck cars). Once you have done this you can put your battery back on charge as the other heats run through. At most club meetings we look to try have 4 rounds of qualifying.
Once qualifying is over, drivers are sorted into finals based on the times they set in the earlier heats. Finals are again 5 minutes long, but this time you are actually racing against the others in your final for position.
If you recharge between heats it is possible to use only 1 battery. I would personally recommend using at least 2 so they have time to rest and cool down between charges. If you do not recharge at the meeting, then you will need enough batteries to last about 30 mins.

Hope that helps
__________________
  #10  
Old 11-03-2013
Tobamory Tobamory is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pudsey Leeds
Posts: 246
Default

James I will be going on the 24th, with my new cars also, I haven't raced for over 20 years, so I'd be more than happy to bang our heads together for the day, and see how we both do.

The guys at batley are very friendly and Diane will show you what's what.

I've been twice so far just to watch, as I didn't have my cars ready, but once I'm back in the uk I,will drive up on the 24th and have some practice.

My names Rob, let me know, I can come find you if you can make that day.
  #11  
Old 11-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Thank u every body I would also like the idea of that tobamory just going to practice outside again but thanks again
  #12  
Old 11-03-2013
Danny Harrison's Avatar
Danny Harrison Danny Harrison is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,268
Default

Get yourself a set of schumacher yellow mini spike tires too if you can. The kit tires wont work anywhere very well. I met a fair few who used kit tires and it wasn't a pleasant first experience
  #13  
Old 11-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

I recently just bought some slicks are they good or bad

And when does it start and finish

Last edited by Col; 11-03-2013 at 08:43 PM.
  #14  
Old 11-03-2013
Danny Harrison's Avatar
Danny Harrison Danny Harrison is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,268
Default

Slicks will be great if you fancy having a drift session

You need the tires I posted above, mini pins are usually marginally faster but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner.

All the info is on this forum at the top bud.
  #15  
Old 11-03-2013
neallewis's Avatar
neallewis neallewis is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 3,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr coolio View Post
Sorry about spamming questions but I'm really anxious how long do my battery or batteries need to last thought about buying 1 that lasts about a hour. Mine only lasts 20mins
Lipo 2S hard case batteries are only allowed. If you shop at modelsport (staff who do not race), they will try to sell you 3S soft case packs, which are not allowed in racing.

A couple of 2S lipo hard case packs will be best, so you can charge in between races.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Yokomo - YZ-2CAL3 | YZ-2DTM3 | YZ-4SF2 | YZ-2T | YZ-2DTM Worlds | YZ-2DTM x2 | YRX-12 x2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #16  
Old 11-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

So am I not allowed to use Nimh batteries and I think i will have to us my stock wheels seen that I have wasted all my money
  #17  
Old 11-03-2013
Aire valley's Avatar
Aire valley Aire valley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wharfedale
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Lipo 2S hard case batteries are only allowed. If you shop at modelsport (staff who do not race), they will try to sell you 3S soft case packs, which are not allowed in racing.

A couple of 2S lipo hard case packs will be best, so you can charge in between races.
Bit cruel about Modelsport..! Some of the guys there, Jules, Bob, Gav and especially Paul and Simon Kemp, were probably racing before you we're born ,! All depends on the question the customer asks.....
  #18  
Old 11-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Talking

But i think mines a tamiya connector and I can't find any;
  #19  
Old 11-03-2013
Great_Thark Great_Thark is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 173
Default

Neal's confusing the issue (as usual :-P). From the pics I've seen the castor uses saddles. Other people use Nimh but not many, you might struggle to charge enough between races, lipo's are more forgiving in this respect. Connector doesn't matter much, plenty of people with a soldering iron will give you a hand if you come with new battery and connectors, you will of course need a different charger. saddle nimh seem silly price for what you get. Best idea is probably to come along and struggle through with what you have charging as much as you can, if you don't make it all the way through its not the end of the world. You can get decent advice on what to buy for next time :-)
  #20  
Old 11-03-2013
Dr coolio's Avatar
Dr coolio Dr coolio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Default

Thanks but by the way it's not a saddle it's the new caster and its the straight one its a storm 2300 Nimh takes about 45 mins to fully charge
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com